Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

https://www.donedeal.ie/dairycattle-for-sale/incalf-heifers/25977240

I'd say with the lack of information on them and the price he won't have too many tyre kickers anyhow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭cosatron

Grueller wrote: »
    https://www.donedeal.ie/dairycattle-for-sale/incalf-heifers/25977240

I'd say with the lack of information on them and the price he won't have too many tyre kickers anyhow.

He will be holding on to them I say. 1800 is a lot of money considering the lack of info. I know the market is hot but his taking the piss.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

The Milstreet show will be online this year.
    https://twitter.com/FJ_Pedigree/status/1307042461169127425?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

No massive growth here -60 kg . Silage in to build covers
    The wet weather brought on a burst of growth and used up any N that was in reserve and I didnt get more out when It was due. Suffering it now, will have to keep silage in by the looks and about to start a big slatted tank aswell as concreteing a yard

Still maintain I'd prefer covers over 2000 now

Covers of 2000 will restrict milk output = loss

Yellow base post grazing means slower recovery and growth = loss

Would it not pay better to feed the silage when the pre grazing covers start to drop below max digestability of say 1500, as opposed to feeding that same silage now and ending up feeding inferior grass.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

alps wrote: »
    Covers of 2000 will restrict milk output = loss

Yellow base post grazing means slower recovery and growth = loss

Would it not pay better to feed the silage when the pre grazing covers start to drop below max digestability of say 1500, as opposed to feeding that same silage now and ending up feeding inferior grass.?

Growth this September is the same as September 2019 for me atm and I had a cover per cow of 300 last year vs 180 this year
    Round length is the issue, our covers were dropping below 1500, we would have been going around too fast.
    The weather is going to start breaking down from middle of next week on, growth definitely wont stay up at 60 then which definitely wont keep the covers infront of them up

I couldnt say ours have any extra milk for having the lighter covers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Growth this September is the same as September 2019 for me atm and I had a cover per cow of 300 last year vs 180 this year
    Round length is the issue, our covers were dropping below 1500, we would have been going around too fast.
    The weather is going to start breaking down from middle of next week on, growth definitely wont stay up at 60 then which definitely wont keep the covers infront of them up

I couldnt say ours have any extra milk for having the lighter covers

They should and u should be growing more grass tho took bales here end August as could see rotation length snd covers getting too strong .wuicl skip around paddocks and atm 28/29’day round grazing 1600 covers Sr 3.6!.what alps outlined makes sense u wouldn’t graze a 2 k cover unintentionally at any other time of year why know .

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Sucklers will get these. Apartheid is not dead here.

Haha class quote

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,701 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I sent 10 bvd samples last week, 1 was empty. This was a calf born dead. Do I still have to sample the dam even though she was tested before?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

How are lads having so much bother getting there heads around grazing 2000 covers ? You need to build cover in some way over the backend to facilitate grazing into November and even if grazing low covers growth will slow down . I wouldn't be an advocate of building farm cover to teacasc recommend 1200 but would push cover to at least 1000. At a AFC of a 1000 your top paddocks will be at 2t . Half the problems people associate with high covers is due to how they have grazed these covers in the previous rounds . I use aug as a clean up month and top/bale or premow any paddoks which aren't being cleaned out to 0- 50 . Pick your paddocks which you are going to allow to build to higher covers . They should be you drier and have good access . If you graze these in unison with a lower cover you won't have any milk drop and saves on feeding expensive supplement.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

whelan2 wrote: »
    I sent 10 bvd samples last week, 1 was empty. This was a calf born dead. Do I still have to sample the dam even though she was tested before?

I stopped sending samples from dead calves, no not if she was tested before

• Advertisement

trixi2011 wrote: »
    How are lads having so much bother getting there heads around grazing 2000 covers ? You need to build cover in some way over the backend to facilitate grazing into November and even if grazing low covers growth will slow down . I wouldn't be an advocate of building farm cover to teacasc recommend 1200 but would push cover to at least 1000. At a AFC of a 1000 your top paddocks will be at 2t . Half the problems people associate with high covers is due to how they have grazed these covers in the previous rounds . I use aug as a clean up month and top/bale or premow any paddoks which aren't being cleaned out to 0- 50 . Pick your paddocks which you are going to allow to build to higher covers . They should be you drier and have good access . If you graze these in unison with a lower cover you won't have any milk drop and saves on feeding expensive supplement.

For me I wouldn’t graze a 2 k cover any other time of year intentionally nor would I be overly concerned grazing too far into November .grass dm on floor ,poor feeding value in grass weather is bad cleanouts will be poor leading to poorer quality sward following spring we’ve all been chasing a baler around all summer making these rocket fuel bales more kick from these to buffer whatever grass is there in back end

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

All dependant on sr really. Growth the last 3 weeks has grown from 42 to 57 to 72 this week as ground dried out a bit and heat this week. Would normally be the reverse. In these conditions clean out has been good on 1800 covers but between dm lowish and mostly leaf fibre is down so they seem to be eating more as well. 2000 covers would be manageable in these conditions it's with unexpected growth and a sudden turn wet they can be a bollix

Cow dead with tetany here this evening. Raging over it and blaming myself for no bucket with them. Just thought things were going well too. She was getting 4kgs in the parlour too so I thought they should be ok for calmag. Has anyone buckets out or what do ye do? Bit late now I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Cow dead with tetany here this evening. Raging over it and blaming myself for no bucket with them. Just thought things were going well too. She was getting 4kgs in the parlour too so I thought they should be ok for calmag. Has anyone buckets out or what do ye do? Bit late now I know.

It’s never nice to find them
    Are you sure it’s tetany. I would have thought the 4 kgs would have them well covered in this weather

It’s never nice to find them
    Are you sure it’s tetany. I would have thought the 4 kgs would have them well covered in this weather

Looks like it. Very bloated.

If I was u I would get a sample of the but your feeding indecently tested for cal mag content I did simillar few years ago after loosing cow to tetany ,no where near the level in it that should of been

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,699 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Just what I do.

The past few years I've brought up the phosphorus and cut back the potash. So your normal fert is rated 1:2, p to k. This past while I've been getting fert 1:1, p to k.
    The soil here was naturally high in K anyway so before I was making a bad situation worse. Since I've done that touch wood I've had no milk fevers or grass tetany from grass or silage.
    Few bits and bobs more going on but I've dropped supplementing minerals to the stock just whatever is in the meal.

Sorry for your loss.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    If I was u I would get a sample of the but your feeding indecently tested for cal mag content I did simillar few years ago after loosing cow to tetany ,no where near the level in it that should of been

Who would test it J?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Heard of a similar situation in a batch of feed sent out, mistake which can happen so would check the feed. At 4 kgs should be well covered this time of year in these conditions

Who would test it J?

Old castle labs or any of the farm labs will do it.

• Advertisement

Was that course or nuts. I often wonder about how well it would be mixed with course

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

You'll have to keep an eye on the delivery docket to make sure you know whats in the ration. Kerry are a hoor for sending low calmag rations out here.
    PkrM9Nw.jpg
    Check the docket to see the rate you need to feed but some cows may not eat their ration or come bulling or be off form. We feed some through the water as well, not at full rate, but both together to cover our needs so far.

Was that course or nuts. I often wonder about how well it would be mixed with course

Nuts Tony. Gain 16% protein

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,699 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'm possibly on the same nut.

IAS in Bagnelstown would probably test that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

Looks like it. Very bloated.

Was hardly tetany if she ate the 4kg or even half of it. Knacker told me before that they're eyes get very blood shot with tetany. Was it bloat?

straight wrote: »
    Was hardly tetany if she ate the 4kg or even half of it. Knacker told me before that they're eyes get very blood shot with tetany. Was it bloat?

Knackered told me before that the smell on day 2 will let you know if its tetany, they stink.
    She was very bloated Straight, maybe it was bloat rather than tetany but tetany was the first thing that came to my mind.
    I was seriously pi$$ed earlier, but I am inside now and the family are here healthy and happy so f@@k it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

had the cow marked the ground with her back legs...? remember here a couple years ago on the cows second day out in spring.. i went for them at evening time and there was a cow stone dead... got vet to come out.. he drove into field said straight away that it wasnt tetany.. as he said cow would have made a big arc in the ground with her back legs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

had the cow marked the ground with her back legs...? remember here a couple years ago on the cows second day out in spring.. i went for them at evening time and there was a cow stone dead... got vet to come out.. he drove into field said straight away that it wasnt tetany.. as he said cow would have made a big arc in the ground with her back legs.

That was the easiest money the vet will ever make. I lost one like that on my first year farming. It's a fair shock to get but that's farming and its nobodies fault. Could have been colic or anything. Cow is dead now anyway, we dont bother with post mortem here.

Knackery man will know. They see these things all the time

• Advertisement

Knackered told me before that the smell on day 2 will let you know if its tetany, they stink.
    She was very bloated Straight, maybe it was bloat rather than tetany but tetany was the first thing that came to my mind.
    I was seriously pi$$ed earlier, but I am inside now and the family are here healthy and happy so f@@k it.

They all get bloated after dying not sure it points to anything really.
    Once they’re gone out the yard they are forgotten about I always think

Advertisement