Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,701 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

They all get bloated after dying not sure it points to anything really.
    Once they’re gone out the yard they are forgotten about I always think

It's just the fear of losing another if you don't know the cause

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

had the cow marked the ground with her back legs...? remember here a couple years ago on the cows second day out in spring.. i went for them at evening time and there was a cow stone dead... got vet to come out.. he drove into field said straight away that it wasnt tetany.. as he said cow would have made a big arc in the ground with her back legs.

No marks on the ground at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

whelan2 wrote: »
    It's just the fear of losing another if you don't know the cause

I know that fear is always there but it very rarely turns out that way.

Was just thinking unlikely to be tetany if you found her this evening. Normally cold nights, you'd find them dead in the morning.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Has anyone used the recycled paper from tetra packs for wiping cows teats

30e for a 6 roll pack

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I'm possibly on the same nut.

IAS in Bagnelstown would probably test that.

Why a 16% instead of a 14% at the min out of interest?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Grueller wrote: »
    Knackered told me before that the smell on day 2 will let you know if its tetany, they stink.
    She was very bloated Straight, maybe it was bloat rather than tetany but tetany was the first thing that came to my mind.
    I was seriously pi$$ed earlier, but I am inside now and the family are here healthy and happy so f@@k it.

They smell very fast from blackleg as well. Check her hind quarters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Timmaay wrote: »

Technically if in dero we're supposed to be on a 14 at grass. Was so wet when the last load came I thought I may be going in with silage so got a 16. Urea has been climbing tho up to 33 in last result now. Burst of growth this week has prob more n in the grass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Crude protein in grass High but quality of that protein (pdia/pdin)has dropped in grass ssamples over last few weeks

Grueller wrote: »
    Who would test it J?

Old castle labs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,699 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

For me it was because I was spreading no N on pasture.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Acquiescence

Has anyone used the recycled paper from tetra packs for wiping cows teats

30e for a 6 roll pack

Link?

Wasting money by trying to save it on paper is a pastime of mine.

Link?

Wasting money by trying to save it on paper is a pastime of mine.

https://www.facebook.com/122440607913768/posts/1679333325557814/?sfnsn=mo&extid=LVaF6or66QF7cynb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Would many wipe cows before cupping on ?

Pre and post spray, don't wipe unless dirty or if I put a lot of spray on pre cupping for whatever reason

trixi2011 wrote: »
    Would many wipe cows before cupping on ?

Only dirty ones this time of year, when they're in on cubicles I prespray and wipe.
    Find it keeps SCC a nice bit lower

I find that repidermo spray very good actually aswell, it does a brilliant job on killing mortelaro

Calved a second calver yesterday evening. Massive Albert bull calf. Both grand. Came back from football last night and the calf was dead. Dont know what happened him. He was trying to stand when I left and had a drink . Having a bad run of things here at the minute

Calved a second calver yesterday evening. Massive Albert bull calf. Both grand. Came back from football last night and the calf was dead. Dont know what happened him. He was trying to stand when I left and had a drink . Having a bad run of things here at the minute

Iodine deficiency?? ,hope things get better

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

I had one last year like that. I was around the yard watching him sleepy and just died. Just some underlying condition I put it down to. Could be bad heart or anything

Was he still with the cow, she may have lay on top of him. Balls when these things happen esp when no sure reason but at least it's outside the door

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

I got my herd health results yesterday and the cows were sky high for Qfever. I never heard of it before and I'm not worried about it. Has anyone here had any experience of it? They were tested for mycoplasma too for the first time.

straight wrote: »
    I had one last year like that. I was around the yard watching him sleepy and just died. Just some underlying condition I put it down to. Could be bad heart or anything

Was a monster calf, had to jack him out. She would never have calved him herself

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

straight wrote: »
    I got my herd health results yesterday and the cows were sky high for Qfever. I never heard of it before and I'm not worried about it. Has anyone here had any experience of it? They were tested for mycoplasma too for the first time.
    Same here .dont know much about it. transferrd by ticks,cows get temps and reduce milk but seem to eat away.no treatment as far as i know.seems to a thing that wont kill an animal but would knock the profit out of them

Calves fond of the few nuts these days

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Mooooo wrote: »

Nice looking batch of calves moo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

There in great order lad.

Fine looking bunch

• Registered Users Posts: 313 ✭✭raindodger

great calves feels like what am i doing wrong

• Registered Users Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Nice calves.... who are the sires?

• Advertisement

Thanks lads, changed tack with calves this year. They used to be on their own block as it's away from the farm and too small for heifers, but years of mainly calves there I reckon was causing too much of a burden on it, so kept them at home in a leader follower system with the heifers. They were off meal for about 7 to 8 weeks in the summer, and were moved when the heifers needed grass so never forced to clean out a paddock unless it was aftergrass. Back on a kilo now since the end of August. There are a few smaller ones there as well in that bunch which I will split out on Thurs to try and push them on a bit.

A couple of years ago I'd know the sires off the top of the head but since the number codes came in not so much, this year's calves are mainly Fr2298, Fr4600, fr2239, fr4530, fr4481

Advertisement