Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

Milk urea here gone to 41 last collection. Feeding 4kg in the parlour, grass getting tight so am in with 77dmd,15.9% protein, 11.6ME bales for an hour after milking. Any simple tips?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Grueller wrote: »
    Milk urea here gone to 41 last collection. Feeding 4kg in the parlour, grass getting tight so am in with 77dmd,15.9% protein, 11.6ME bales for an hour after milking. Any simple tips?

Cows are in-calf with 5mts?
    Be grand. Unlikely to cause damage to pregnant cows at that stage. You could also get a 10pr nut.

Cows are in-calf with 5mts?
    Be grand. Unlikely to cause damage to pregnant cows at that stage. You could also get a 10pr nut.

I thought about less protein in the nuts alright. The bin is unfortunately empty again so that's probably the solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

There has been higher growth than normal the last week, and that will likely slow with the weather this coming week. Have you the silage in long? If you'll be buffering with it for the foreseeable it should sort the urea. Keep the nuts at the 14% or 16% wouldn't go getting a full load of lower protein nuts when silage is likely to be in the diet from now on, altho yours is goos stuff. Remember to keep some of the best silage for next spring if you can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

I thought about less protein in the nuts alright. The bin is unfortunately empty again so that's probably the solution.

I'd be holding off making too many changes based on a urea test

Weather is changing - pretty dramatically

Don't do anything too different i would say

• Advertisement

The sh1t week continues here. I have been training in the nephew in transition year here to do an odd milking. The father needed to go to Dublin for a hospital appt this morning so the nephew, and to be fair he is a right chap, milked.
    He rang me there now as he left school to tell me that he made a mistake this morning. He sucked up the wash water instead of the first rinse. He didn't realise until he had let it through to put the last of the milk to the tank.
    There is probably a few litres of wash gone into the tank with about 1500 litres of milk. I may let it down the drain when I go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Acquiescence

There is probably a few litres of wash gone into the tank with about 1500 litres of milk. I may let it down the drain when I go home.

When is it being collected, with the dilution rate a few litres is hardly going to cause that much harm?

What would it even flag for?

We've all done some variation of the same. I'd be saying nothing to the youngfella either way.

I put an entire first rinse into the tank a few weeks ago.:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,699 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

When is it being collected, with the dilution rate a few litres is hardly going to cause that much harm?

We've all done some variation of the same. I'd be saying nothing to the youngfella either way.

It's on social media now anyways so definitely be testing for it. :pac:

I guess you're not with Glanbia? They'd be on fairly quick with the water test.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

1stly he spotted it, and 2ndly he told you! Two big positives in my view. As an employer your 1st questions need to be could you of done anything differently yourself, did you let him on with the milking with not quite enough training, do you have each trough very clearly marked etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,569 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

The sh1t week continues here. I have been training in the nephew in transition year here to do an odd milking. The father needed to go to Dublin for a hospital appt this morning so the nephew, and to be fair he is a right chap, milked.
    He rang me there now as he left school to tell me that he made a mistake this morning. He sucked up the wash water instead of the first rinse. He didn't realise until he had let it through to put the last of the milk to the tank.

That sounds like an honest mistake. How old is he? 14 or 15, fair play to him for milking a herd of cows before school!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 856 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

Contact milk rep.

Actually it shouldn't flag for chlorate as I am chlorine free.
    TCM maybe?

JeffKenna wrote: »
    That sounds like an honest mistake. How old is he? 14 or 15, fair play to him for milking a herd of cows before school!

16. He is a hard worker to be fair.

Late now but a milk sample taken to the lab may determine if anything got in

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I wouldn't be letting it off until I was sure it needed to be let off!

A few litres of wash will be so diluted in 1500l it won't be detectable. 5l in 1500 is just 0.33% and most of that 5l is plain water.

Ring the manager in the morning and explain the story and they should be able to test a sample quickly to give you the all clear.

straight wrote: »
    I got my herd health results yesterday and the cows were sky high for Qfever. I never heard of it before and I'm not worried about it. Has anyone here had any experience of it? They were tested for mycoplasma too for the first time.

My vet rang this evening when she got the results. Like yourself Q fever showed up and moderate for stomach worms so must do a few dung samples for that.

On the Q fever, she says it's very similar to IBR and vaccinating correctly for IBR gives good control of the Q fever as well. We keep a log of deaths here and there were a few in the last few years we put down to IBR that she now reckons may have been Q fever. Treatment seems to be just standard pneumonia treatment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

My vet rang this evening when she got the results. Like yourself Q fever showed up and moderate for stomach worms so must do a few dung samples for that.

On the Q fever, she says it's very similar to IBR and vaccinating correctly for IBR gives good control of the Q fever as well. We keep a log of deaths here and there were a few in the last few years we put down to IBR that she now reckons may have been Q fever. Treatment seems to be just standard pneumonia treatment.

I was .8 for stomach worms. I'm just going to ignore that. I do them with albex at dry off. Regarding the Q fever I'm not too worried because my herd seem healthy. I dont vaccinate for IBR.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

What's the longest crush people normally go for, I'm thinking of putting a new wall up and have ample room to go far with it. Existing 6 cow crush is collapsing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

kevthegaff wrote: »
    What's the longest crush people normally go for, I'm thinking of putting a new wall up and have ample room to go far with it. Existing 6 cow crush is collapsing

Put in a herringbone crush that can take a full row of cows from the milking parlour. A conventional crush for half a dozen cows with a head gate will then suffice.

The herringbone crush is the business for testing, dosing, tail painting, tail clipping etc

alps wrote: »
    Put in a herringbone crush that can take a full row of cows from the milking parlour. A conventional crush for half a dozen cows with a head gate will then suffice.

The herringbone crush is the business for testing, dosing, tail painting, tail clipping etc
    I'll prob only have the one crush, so would u still go herringbone

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I'll prob only have the one crush, so would u still go herringbone

You'll still need a short standard crush for hoof pairing

If you can design the loading area correctly a short crush may do. Neighbour only fits 4 cows at testing but flies thru it as can load fast.

We have a 12 cow crush here. Great job for flying through work. We have a set of butterfly backing bars at the end so once they go up, they can't back down.

The first round of cows coming in can be slow but we hold the ones finished with in a yard in front of the crush so the rest come up fairly easily once the first lot are out and they can see them at the top.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

It’s hard to beat the control you have with a crush with a good high platform to work from. 12/14 cows if you have the room

I have a 20 unit parlour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I have a 20 unit parlour

10 cow crush with space to hold the other 10?

If you have the room I'd definitely consider the herringbone crush
    I'd love one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

Your operating space outside of the normal crush can become your herringbone crush if you can get the crush maker to allow you to swing down the top bar of crush when using the herringbone. The panel at the front of the normal crush, which guys usually mount as a hinged gate to allow access to a baled up animal, can be opened across the herringbone to make the front gate of that..

It's very easy to have both..

Does anybody here know of anyone with good friesian holstein in calf heifers for sale? I would be interested in a batch of 15 or so to calve in February if anyone could recommend any.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭thisyear

alps wrote: »

Did the same, brilliant investment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 378 ✭✭trg

What do folks give for bulling maiden heifers say around March time? High EBI holsteins

Advertisement