Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

trg wrote: »
    What do folks give for bulling maiden heifers say around March time? High EBI holsteins

Sold ours in spring for 850. Was happy with that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A few pics in the tweet below of a herringbone crush.
    https://twitter.com/WilliamConlon/status/1311021017318535175?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,017 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

A few pics in the tweet below of a herringbone crush.
    https://twitter.com/WilliamConlon/status/1311021017318535175?s=19

Thanks B!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Rewiring a shed here that *might* have an 8-unit parlour installed next year. Any advice re what type of cable would be required? There’s a few options I think but can’t recall exactly.

The connection would be out from the fuse box at the ESB pole and into a fuse box in the shed.

I’ll be getting an electrician to do it but just wondered if anyone on here had some experience of different cable types or any other dos and don’ts

Thanks

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 841 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Grueller wrote: »
    The sh1t week continues here. I have been training in the nephew in transition year here to do an odd milking. The father needed to go to Dublin for a hospital appt this morning so the nephew, and to be fair he is a right chap, milked.
    He rang me there now as he left school to tell me that he made a mistake this morning. He sucked up the wash water instead of the first rinse. He didn't realise until he had let it through to put the last of the milk to the tank.
    There is probably a few litres of wash gone into the tank with about 1500 litres of milk. I may let it down the drain when I go home.

How did this work out for you Grueller? Was the wash water picked up in the test?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    How did this work out for you Grueller? Was the wash water picked up in the test?

Actually after the advice here I did nothing and got the nephew over. He showed me what he had done that evening. I reckoned that next to nothing went in and chanced it. Never a word about it on the test.
    Thanks for the advice all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

straight wrote: »

Does anyone know what app he is using to show him what paddock he is in? He talks about it on the 8.50 mark on video

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭einn32

Actually after the advice here I did nothing and got the nephew over. He showed me what he had done that evening. I reckoned that next to nothing went in and chanced it. Never a word about it on the test.

Relief milker did it to me years ago. Never told anyone after leaving the first water flush through after milking in to the tank. We were caught for too much water. It took a while but his employer eventually took the blame and compensated us. Least you nephew was honest and it all ended well!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

You'll have no bother milking the 120 cows on your 80ac if you give someone like him regular hours especially during the spring lol.

Timmaay wrote: »
    You'll have no bother milking the 120 cows on your 80ac if you give someone like him regular hours especially during the spring lol.

If I was going to hire a man in time and he was available I would take him in a heartbeat. He is only a chap and he will milk cows, drive machinery, weld, handle livestock, de horn calves. he is also an unreal student in school. 10 A's in his Junior Cert two years ago and I would guess will get close to 600 points in his leaving cert. He won't be available to milk cows for long I feel.

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Does anyone know what app he is using to show him what paddock he is in? He talks about it on the 8.50 mark on video

I'd imagine he just has a photo of the farm map on WhatsApp or the like. I like the way he numbered the paddocks and it's something on my list here. Any ideas for numbering here?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,285 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Top class. Just from the way he says 'trough' alone, you can tell he is a proper farmer.

Gillespy wrote: »
    Top class. Just from the way he says 'trough' alone, you can tell he is a proper farmer.

I watched the whole thing and never even noticed, but then we say trok around here anyway!

Could be a big debate: Do you pronounce it troff or trok???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I'd imagine he just has a photo of the farm map on WhatsApp or the like. I like the way he numbered the paddocks and it's something on my list here. Any ideas for numbering here?

No I gather from what he says in video he has a gps based app linked with his farm map that highlights on your phone which paddock your in. Numbering paddocks is no bother, any sign making company will do them up for you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I watched the whole thing and never even noticed, but then we say trok around here anyway!

Thrawwwww here

Odd and even numbers on either side of the roadway? I think that’s how door numbers on the left and right sides of streets work so that the street can be extended and they can just continue with higher numbers in the extended part

Same around here. The interviewer asked him about his water troffs, credit to Andrew Dineen he didn't change for the camera. Watching it, I thought to myself, he should consider making a youtube channel. He has a fine farm and he is very knowledgeable and is a good talker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

This is like sprong or fork!!

WE are certainly in the trok category here!

• Advertisement

Panch18 wrote: »
    This is like sprong or fork!!

WE are certainly in the trok category here!

Are you talking about a pike?

I think anyone that says 'troff' should be on a watch list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Gillespy wrote: »
    Are you talking about a pike?

I think anyone that says 'troff' should be on a watch list.

Says the man that can't spell grape right... ðŸ™႒

I'm putting down a feed space and new agitation covers on front of a shed, should I put a channel on the outer edge as the yard beside it is gravel

kevthegaff wrote: »
    I'm putting down a feed space and new agitation covers on front of a shed, should I put a channel on the outer edge as the yard beside it is gravel

I would say yes even from the point of view of how it looks should you get an inspection.
    The down side is the risk of turning an ankle when SPRONGING in silage.

Doing similar here tomorrow, hadnt thought about a channel
    Is the feed passage roofed?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

If I was going to hire a man in time and he was available I would take him in a heartbeat. He is only a chap and he will milk cows, drive machinery, weld, handle livestock, de horn calves. he is also an unreal student in school. 10 A's in his Junior Cert two years ago and I would guess will get close to 600 points in his leaving cert. He won't be available to milk cows for long I feel.

You still might get half a dozen years out of him, until he's finished in college and off to the big bad world, he'll probably happily take the part time work the whole way through, evening milkings while at school and weekends/summers then. I use nearly all local students here, most whom had farm experience at home already, works out well for me.

Doing similar here tomorrow, hadnt thought about a channel
    Is the feed passage roofed?.

No it's not, so might slope in 5 ft out and slope out the remaining 8ft ifykwim

No it's not, so might slope in 5 ft out and slope out the remaining 8ft ifykwim

Would you end up with water running in under the silage then?

I've a cow that has stopped eating about 4 days ago and milk has obviously fallen away to barely anything. She is picking tiny bits and passing small bits of dung but no appetite. Vet said it's a digestive upset. Pumped her stomach and left bovistim sachets for her but no change. Would ye have any ideas? She doesn't look empty for a cow that hasn't eaten in 4 days. No temperature

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Did the vet put back a magnet?

Advertisement