Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

Mooooo wrote: »
    Did the vet put back a magnet?

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

straight wrote: »
    I've a cow that has stopped eating about 4 days ago and milk has obviously fallen away to barely anything. She is picking tiny bits and passing small bits of dung but no appetite. Vet said it's a digestive upset. Pumped her stomach and left bovistim sachets for her but no change. Would ye have any ideas? She doesn't look empty for a cow that hasn't eaten in 4 days. No temperature

Did your vet rule out a displacement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

That was my thought as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

find coffee great for upset digestion and dose for fluke

Funny time of year for that but like it alright. He said stomachs are working but slowly. He listened to the heart too.

• Advertisement

Funny time of year for that but like it alright. He said stomachs are working but slowly. He listened to the heart too.

They can get it anytime

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,701 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Is it long since she was scanned?

find coffee great for upset digestion and dose for fluke

I was thinking that during milking. I'll give her a bottle of colombias finest coffee in the morning and a shot of eprinex along the back. Stomach worms were high in my herd health report alright but I didn't take any notice. I'll call the vet back next week if no improvement.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Is it long since she was scanned?

Not scanned yet. Afraid of dead calf and poisoning but she would have a fever surely. Can see no symptoms apart from lack of appetite and lack of milk.

Not scanned yet. Afraid of dead calf and poisoning but she would have a fever surely. Can see no symptoms apart from lack of appetite and lack of milk.

If vet handled her they might have noticed something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Dud she get an injection?
    I had one a couple of weeks ago like that, injection sorted her. Milking the finest since

Dud she get an injection?
    I had one a couple of weeks ago like that, injection sorted her. Milking the finest since

Just got b vitamin injection. I know if I call the vet back he'll just fill her up with antibiotics which is fine if it fixes her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭einn32

Just got b vitamin injection. I know if I call the vet back he'll just fill her up with antibiotics which is fine if it fixes her.

Did the vet definitely rule out a foreign object in the stomach?

einn32 wrote: »
    Did the vet definitely rule out a foreign object in the stomach?

Digestive problem he said. Would listening to the heart rule that out. I believe the foreign object comes through the wall of the rumen and pierces the heart

If you look at the vein in her neck , if it's pulsing quickly her heart is under pressure. Could be one of many things wrong with her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

So gain feeds are after having a batch of equine feed show up containing banned growth hormones for beef cattle, it's pretty dumb founding , going to be some compensation claims incoming, do the plc still own this side of the business our will the co-op take the biggest hit

jaymla627 wrote: »
    So gain feeds are after having a batch of equine feed show up containing banned growth hormones for beef cattle, it's pretty dumb founding , going to be some compensation claims incoming, do the plc still own this side of the business our will the co-op take the biggest hit

A major fook up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭tanko

Why would Glanbia have banned substances in their possession in the first place?

tanko wrote: »
    Why would Glanbia have banned substances in their possession in the first place?

It makes no sense, looking up the company that makes it, which is intervet and has manufacturing sites in Ireland I thought maybe their was a mess-up and it was sent to a the mill mistakenly as some other product, but it's made in France so that rules out that, it's a nasty product reading up on it, and can lead to serious health issues for cattle and horses alike re destroying hoof health and causing laminitits, was banned in America for awhile back in 2013 when a few hundred cattle been fed the product hooves fell off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

It makes no sense, looking up the company that makes it, which is intervet and has manufacturing sites in Ireland I thought maybe their was a mess-up and it was sent to a the mill mistakenly as some other product, but it's made in France so that rules out that, it's a nasty product reading up on it, and can lead to serious health issues for cattle and horses alike re destroying hoof health and causing laminitits, was banned in America for awhile back in 2013 when a few hundred cattle been fed the product hooves fell off

We'll have to wait for the results of ingredient testing and batch samples kept for exactly this purpose to be tested to find where in the production and delivery chain this product was added.

Seeing as they don't use this product in any feed formulations, the risk of accidental contamination seems remote.

• Advertisement

We'll have to wait for the results of ingredient testing and batch samples kept for exactly this purpose to be tested to find where in the production and delivery chain this product was added.

Seeing as they don't use this product in any feed formulations, the risk of accidental contamination seems remote.

Irish samples have been found to contain the product now so they are goosed to put it lightly, cant see the likes of coolmore and the other high end studs contemplating using gain feed again, even farmers should be wary on the livestock side of it with the crap they do be putting into rations

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Irish samples have been found to contain the product now so they are goosed to put it lightly, cant see the likes of coolmore and the other high end studs contemplating using gain feed again, even farmers should be wary on the livestock side of it with the crap they do be putting into rations

I wounder what the Glanbia share price will be tomorrow morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

Why are Intervet making a banned nasty substance that causes cattle’s hooves to fall off????

Why are Intervet making a banned nasty substance that causes cattle’s hooves to fall off????

It’s probably still used legally in beef in other parts of the world.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

I dont know but it would sicken you to the pit of your stomach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Could have been overdosed or what not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,606 ✭✭✭✭Water John

And what would Glanbia have done if it had been mixed in dairy feed and affected their own production? One really wonders at this type of integrated food chain.
    Stuff like this shouldn't be made or stored in the same location as stuff for markets that don't allow it, EU Regs if necessary.

I heard on the news the greens saying they are going to help the farmers by reducing the national herd. Farmers don't make money at the moment so it won't cost them anything she said. She's going to incentivise and retrain us to grow grains and the like. I'm all for it myself as I went miss getting **** and pissed on at 6 in the morning and dealing with the whole animal side of things. I might take up golf with all my spare time. I would have thought tillage was more harmful to what I'm at now but what would I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Going to be big compo paid out. Aidan O Brein pulled 4 horses out of the prix de l'arc today over feed concerns!

• Advertisement

I heard on the news the greens saying they are going to help the farmers by reducing the national herd. Farmers don't make money at the moment so it won't cost them anything she said. She's going to incentivise and retrain us to grow grains and the like. I'm all for it myself as I went miss getting **** and pissed on at 6 in the morning and dealing with the whole animal side of things. I might take up golf with all my spare time. I would have thought tillage was more harmful to what I'm at now but what would I know.

Are we to harvest these grains or what’s the plan

Advertisement