Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

It will be interesting to see where land prices go long term. The closing net on nitrates, investment in concrete interest rates etc, will many guys look to step back a bit and keep the system as simple as they can. Working the calculator with a clear head is an important skill. Often finding the sweet spot is the key

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

They will of course and it’s great to see things going well but there is merit in family owned farms of 70 or 80 cows rather than the model being oligarchs with a seemingly infinite target herd no time to wash the cowshite off their faces and requiring migrant labour from South America.. and claim this is what’s required to make a “living”.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I'm not talking hundreds of cows but it would be hard to advise a young lad to go milking if he could only have 70 cows in say 10 or 20 years time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

If He likes the lifestyle He won’t starve if he could get that up and running and own it all. If either of my lads want to farm seriously that the direction we will be going here as it is simply the only show in town.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Tight run ship @1k net margin/cow( which a lot of the time it is) leaves 70k 10-20 hid from the tax man, if the partner down the line has any sort of decent job, it's a fairly comfortable lifestyle except for being tied to the place for the summer

A robot and a job would be another option.

Nobody hands you money for nothing. Youngest lad was working in Dublin on 42k before tax two years out of college, paying 800/ month rent. He was putting in 45 hour weeks. First class honours degree in financial mats. Ya in 5+ years time he will have the 70k well bate but it's all completely taxed.

Nothing wrong with 60-70 cows if you might struggle in college or end up with an average arts degree where you earning will top out at 45-50 k in today's money

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

+1

Even if you get a "good degree" (whatever that is), most of those "good jobs" are admin-heavy with too many managers who have nothing to do running around trying to justify their existence. The work itself is grand and the money is OK, but the people can be impossible.

There's much less sh*t with cows and cattle.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭Sacrolyte

This is a great country for heaping praise on successful people. Weather it a builder building more houses and taking on loads of staff or a publican taking over more bars. Maybe someone made loads of money on stocks and shares with a lovely beemer outside the door. Sure isn’t such and such doing really well for themselves. Fair play. But God forbid if some lowely muck savage puts on a few extra cows…

Jesus wept

• Registered Users Posts: 5,556 ✭✭✭roosterman71

I would have said the opposite. We're a nation of begrudgers and don't like seeing others do well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭green daries

You should be ok time wise. Maybe under veterinary supervision a double shot could help

Really interesting to hear yesterday that the ICMSA leader looking for government to gaurantee dairy farmers loans.

Between that the restauranteurs cribbing its a hard listen. Cost is very unforgiving when prices drop.. ....

Christ they didn't come out with that gem did they say 😳🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🙄🤦🤦🤦🤦

• Advertisement

Completely a shower of **** and begrudgers it's only noticed more rurally cos it's more visible and people are more connected with each other.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Top post...the most under under rated positives of dairying.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Grueller

I can verify that post. I have worked ina few different workplaces and often liked the work but the bullshit layers of management that are of no relevance are staggering. And they all think that you aspire to get promoted to be like them.

Ah well if you struggle in college you can't do anything else really.

Like multi national companies ? So why are people queuing up to work for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Grueller

Because the propaganda is being sold. The money is good comparatively to other jobs but you will sell your soul to them if you want to climb that greasy pole. I know loads who have left and live a simpler, happier life. Scrambling to the commute every morning and evening, always rushed, living for the weekend when you're wrecked from the 60 hour week and can't enjoy it anyway is not all its cracked up to be.

Milking the few cows, busy in the spring but an OK enough workload for the rest of the year, time to go to a kids match, do a school run, go to a funeral. I'd much rather have it anyhow and I stoll won't die of the hunger at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Why would you bother being on here at the moment. Sniping and bitching, nearly in every thread .

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

I work in a MNC only have to go in 2/3 days every week work the other 2 days at home so only commuting 3 days max each week.

Exceptional benefits will pay for whole family health insurance, a big expense for any family. They match your pension contributions 1.5x whatever you contribute and you can forego pay into a share redemption scheme where they purchase shares of the company at 20-25% market value at time of purchase.

Paid a cash bonus twice a year that you can also put into the share redemption scheme so not taxed on that income either then.

I would say the benefits far outweigh the cons.

Climbing the ladder may be difficult with management layers as when people get to management they tend to stay put. If you want to move up quicker move out the benefits I outlined above would be common place in most MNC’s these days.

To add I work a 40 hour work week and get 28 days paid leave each year.

Management above me wouldn’t be working in excess of 50 hours a week also.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

Ya, I worked in a large multinational for nearly 20 years, good pay and great conditions and really well treated. Share options, subsidised canteen, healthcare for the whole family, pension contributions, great colleagues, a start time and finish time, holiday pay, parental leave, the list goes on and on. It was a great place to work. 3 days a week for the 39 hours and helped my parents with the farming for the rest of the week. Best times of my life were had there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,524 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

That's nice alright. You should have taken one of those moderator jobs when they were going....

Post edited by blue5000 on

• Registered Users Posts: 11,271 ✭✭✭✭Base price

@green daries - is it illegal cause I've never heard of it.

Our Vet has previously given in calf cow's medication that would abort the fetus in order to save the cow. I presume our Vet is well versed on DAFM/EU animal welfare legislation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,664 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Mod note; Could yourself and straight cool it, cut out the name calling and treat each other with a bit of respect, thanks. We don't use first names here.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I'd like to remind everyone of the stats that Siamsa put which said that only 10 % percent of farms are over 200 cows and roughly the same% are under 25 cow.regulary here we see fellas throwing figures of 1000 euro a cow profit but over the weekend I became aware of a fifty cow farmer qualifying and needing the farm assist.they weren't doing anything wrong and lead a modest lifestyle but where once they would have been doing away fine ,inflation and the relativly small turnover has been eaten away at the profit.i don't know how much money anyone on here has in their pocket right now nevermind how wealthy they are.yeah there are lads who have been carried away with themselves but that story is as old as tae and has always happened.back when I as on the board of the local coop I became aware of situations from time to time that surprised me but it's the bullshit thinking that if someone milks a 100 cows that they are loaded has got a pile of lads into trouble.i went to the derogation demonstration last Thurs and the most striking thing is how many people are making their living due to the dairy industry in cork and that's fine but don't forget where the money is coming from

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Yeah there’s 100% nothing wrong with 70 or so cows but you wouldn’t want to have any debt hanging around you or old facilities needing upgrading

if a 20 ac field came up beside you to buy and you’re in a busy farming area you more than likely wouldn’t be able to buy it. Unless debt free and had sone savings. Then you’re stuck paying for the land and mightn’t be able to improve sone facilities. It’s hard to do both things at smaller numbers

there’s also no room for a second wage if a son or daughter wants to come and farm with you

Theres nothing at all wrong with smaller herds and they make as much if not more money per cow as any one else but they’re limited with the opportunities they can provide also.

Farms have grown from sub 100 cows to buy land/ upgrade facilities and employ ppl or bring in sons or daughters.

we’re milking just short of 170 and I’d find it very hard to go and milk any less than that

As far as I know the drugs needed shouldn't be used for that purpose intentionally.... I presume it is different when treatment is needed to save the cow. That's my understanding of it anyway base. ....I'm obviously open to correction.. terms and conditions apply. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭TokenJogger

It won't be 70 and he'll definitely have to become a team leader and be doing 50+ hours and taking (keeping) the laptop home (open) with him of an evening regularly

Milking is a far better game at 40c

• Registered Users Posts: 18,565 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

It will be 70++. The financial area is very competitive for employment at present. He never minds the work.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Best have them at least 10 days in-calf. Works very well up to four months in calf. A bit more dodgy during the fifth month. Keep an eye out for a response to the injection and get them handled if not sure.

Over five months.... might work but you might not like the consequences, just avoid. (Think, ewe not opening, rare occurrence, usually just doesn't work)

Should work within a week, probably 3-4 days.

Cows will be fine and could go back in calf again.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

Advertisement