Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I think there is only 2-3 liquid milk producers in Ireland and one of them is selling on there business. The CA is having a look at it. Other than that you have the Northern producer that operates here as well.

Margin must have improved. As well there is no bonus any longer for liquid milk production AFAIK because they can get enough milk from.outbof season production

Slava Ukrainii

The last thing we needed was a storm. It’s a year that keeps on giving. Have housed all young animals as a precaution.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

It was 2-3 years ago now but I remember at a farm meeting that 6-7c/litre was mentioned as the processor cost for milk here for the main co-op in the south-east. I'm assuming that's gone up since then, but I guess it depends on several factors such as the debt co-ops are carrying, share buy-outs, and god knows what other internal business/admin issues.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 11,201 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Liquid milk is a no or negligible return business ….and o for one am delighted we’re nearly gone from it ….cut throat business with competitors undercutting one another just for volume …..supermarkets win most of time ….there is a set price per litre for winter months over base with no extra for solids

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭green daries

That pricing structure is very nearly gone now mahoney_j nearly all gone to premium over base and solids.

I'm hoping against hope that glanbia have shot themselves in the foot debt wise and will now need to return a reasonable margin on liquid milk and not be annoying everyone else by supplying below cost milk just to get into am area

• Advertisement

That’s just for liquid milk tho (stuff we drink )price is just x over base at standard solids ….winter milk schemes different as they offer price over base plus solids

• Registered Users Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭green daries

Ya ye are literally the last coop in the country with that payment structure all others are changed over to premiums for fixed contracts as well I think Strathdon are still flat price. ......and isn't arrabawn exiting liquid 🤔.

We are but competition authority are looking into it …..exiting liquid something we should of done years ago ….rotten low /no margin business

• Registered Users Posts: 8,224 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

Seen this in today's paper, you'll need to expand to read:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Running 3.5l behind this time last year. Same fats and proteins.

€1.40 per cow per day......lotta moolah..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

2L back but protein ahead by .15 this year. Bf ahead a bit but variable enough. Earlier in the year I was further back on litres so we'll still end up a good bit back on last year.

Another wet night and **** day here and last of the grass on the ground and all clover🤦‍♂️

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Milked cows for the first time in 21 years this morning.

I can confirm they still have 4 teats (most of the them), their sh*t is still semi-liquid green stuff, and they still walk wherever the hell they like 😂

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭The Rabbi

As it sails through air towards your face,glistening in the morning sunlight it can display a myriad of glorious colours.It still stinks and leaves a green stain on your neck and collar.

Can plate coolers be a source of a thermoduric problem? Mine is over 20 years old. Got a new hot water tank so that’s not the problem but getting the same results, it’s 10k now and last month was around 800. I pre spray and wipe. It’s very annoying, the time and cost’s washing and getting bad results.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

• Registered Users Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Have farm services come out to help? As said wash out pipeline. It's something it's passing over somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

get your parlour tech to open it up and you’ll find out fairly quick, had to change plate cooler here as seals went on her and it was filthy inside was passing test results but was always borderline 30-40 tbc and thermos of 400-600, last results where 6 tbc and 60 thermo……

what inch is your milk line jet blaster stopped working here and all the top of the 4 inch line was caked in cheese-curd got a crazy high tbc of a million and that was the issue had to take apart the milk in 3 spots and power wash it out to clear the curd out….

Give the machine a couple of washes with chlorine based detergent as well, rinse a couple of times after as well

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

A good trick I was told was to bomb-wash the parlour go with 2-4 liters of a chlorine based detergent depending on parlour size and put in 2kgs of caustic powder aswell on a hot wash, rinse out then with peracetic and then do a second hot wash with a good descaler and more peracetic in the final rinse, to wash out any chlorine deposits if your a Tirlain supplier if your unfortunate enough to get a chlorate test when doing the above they will suspend collection and make you dump milk till you get 3 clear tests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I've seen plate coolers blocked with maize where the parlour was being washed down as the machine was washing.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,193 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

A fella told me before that he drops a few litres of paracetic acid into the wash and runs out of the parlour and let it wash away and it cure s any thermoduric problem. Its deadly stuff and has some bang off it but be very careful with it

Thanks for all the advice. Last year my detergent sales man provided me with enough chlorine for one days wash and problem was solved but his gone now so I don’t know if I’ll still be able to get it. Theirs something fundamentally wrong somewhere. I follow all the instructions I was given about what products to use and amounts. It’s all hot washes bar 3 or 4 evening a week. Vacuum line was cleaned out less than 12 months ago. I’m going to have to get an outsider to come in. I find milk advisors from co-ops not much good so it won’t be them. Those chlorine products were brilliant at cleaning.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

Talk to your milking parlour service man, he will have the best idea .Check the bulk tank is so clean that you can see yourself

Can pick up circodine p in local agri shop down here. I use it away in machine, haven't failed any chlorine test but i do two rinses after milking and two rinses after the detergent if using it. Electric milk pumps don't empty the system the way the old double diaphragm pumps did so a split or double rinse to reomove residue is important.

May be no harm to give the bulk tank a second wash after next collection as well or have a look inside it, just be careful if looking inside think a lad for stuck upside down a few years back checking his tank

Avoid the coop reps sending out reps from likes of deosan etc …go to an i dependant supplier like ark farm solutions in Wexford ….they have products that work …don’t break the bank …don’t require everyday hot washes and crucially a very good back up service ….they will come out access where potential issues are and solve them

I went thru numerous expensive ch free detergents …heap of hot washes before someone reccomended tgem to me and if there’s issues now it’s usually down to me letting a drum run out etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Grueller

Have you a tap on the vacuum line to allow you to suck an acid descale through the vacuum line? If not get one fitted and get your parlour tech to show you how to use it. I had the same problem and that cured it..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

Chap I know was working up the yard while his dad was washing the milking machine. Suddenly he saw a load of smoke coming from the dairy so he ran down.

It wasn’t smoke but some sort of dangerous gas, that was coming out of the machine, as the father had mixed two completely different chemicals.

So don’t do anything too mad trying to cure the TBC

• Advertisement

If you mix an acid and base( caustic or chlorine based) Chlorine gas can be released and can kill so important to rinse between any type of wash if done one after the other

Nearly caught someone out trying to clear a sink when they put a small amount of caustic down after the bleach didn't work

Advertisement