Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Lost a block here, was asked what Id give and 300 a acre plus sfp back was the max i said id go, auctioneer has him convinced 400 plus will be got no issue, 300 was to much for it to be honest its 15% space for nature, very middling late wet ground and the slatted unit yard/silage slab isn't allowed to be used....

If I where you whatever your going to do I'd get it done before charlie rolls out his acres for tillage farmers, it will put ground up past 400 plus a acre anywhere that can be put into crops, combined with dairy farmers competing as well

• Registered Users Posts: 2,092 ✭✭✭cosatron

fair play. What type of are sire are using if you don't mind me asking, hi ebi, Holstien, mixture of both.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Are they planning on giving tillage farmers some kinda handout?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Yep, tanks of giving them 150-200€ per ac flat rate payment

think I’ll set up a tillage enterprise along side the dairy

• Advertisement

Working on something atm alright. Might be able to work something with my BIL either

the grandson of the lady that owns the land wants to have a go at farming. Can’t do much about it. I told him it won’t be easy but don’t want to be a bollix about it either

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Even from a straw point of view it'd make more sense to have your own guaranteed. All the talk this year would frighten you of availability into the future.

It's what will happen anyway. Those strong enough livestock producers will be taking land for tillage.

It won't be limited to 100% only tillage farmers.

If a combi crop could be harvested and straw used it would be perfect.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As all the diesel used now is full excuse fuel if you can get receipts for diesel used in cars the technically you could write it off against farming expenses. Problem is there is only so many dub 100 euro cash receipts you can use.

However I think you have employee's. If you had a tank I. The yard and were selling it for 2-3c/ L less than the local stations you might convert a 1O+K euro farm expense into cash.

Problem is too many might know about it. Fall out with an employee and he might inform revenue authority

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭Coolfresian

Herd was fully British fresian base but started using holstein 15 years ago and have a nice balanced cow that suits us.

Don't follow ebi at all. Herd has an ebi of 116. Bottom 25 % of herds on co-op report. Ebi of inseminations last year was 236 which was only 2 star on co-op report or the bottom 28%.

5 star on co-op report for fat and protein kg/cow, liters/cow, milk price received and calving interval.

I've never seen the return between ebi and results in the milk tank here.

Use a lot of the holsteins at the back of the book in ai catalogue and a holstein stock bull.

Everyone is different on their farm. I've never grass measured, have set paddocks not a strip wires, don't milk record, use a fresian stock bull as well as ai etc but get results that works for us.

Yeah well I get straw off him already. Im

not too interested in becoming a tillage farmer but it’s one option if I want to hold onto my current cow numbers

• Advertisement

If you went into a partnership on paper with the bil, can you use his land in the partnership to spread your cows nitrates over, no brainer if your taking straw/getting maize/wholecrop of him with slurry going the other way too, is his ground within the 30km limit to do the above

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

Is the 30km limit looking like being implemented in the near future too had heard it mentioned before but nothing materialized I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

You can guarantee it will come in. Otherwise there’ll be wholesale bullshiting going on next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭older by the day

If you're vehicles are all burning white diesel, then every white diesel receipt could be down to the farm. I'm only thinking of small farmers like myself. There's four cars here burning white. If that came in I would buy a tank and all the diesel can go as a farm expense. Or start selling it to neighbors

It was ment to be brought in for 23 as part of the nap but was amended, to get it removed but you'd imagine it will be reinstated shortly enough

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

Would be a complete disaster for us our outfarm which we own is just about 30km probably a bit with it as the crow flies would bury us if it came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

Plenty lads thinking the same. Take the land for nitrates and sow crops for forage and grain crops to cover costs a bit. Tillage farmers wont like it, but they have been very anti dairy farmer.

We need eachother.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Lads on here dreaming of a tillage subsidy so they can justify paying crazy money for leased land for the privelige of milking more cows. Where did that idea come from, the same place as the beef retirement and dairy retirement scheme. Do they think the minister has found a magic money tree. The minister for "waffle" knows full well that all he has to do is keep B**l s******g for another 12 months and he is out the gate with his ministerial pension.

The pending budget, is his issue though, if he doesn't come up with a tillage scheme/dairy reduction scheme funded out of it, he has run out of road, and all the promises and rhetoric the past year out of him can finally be put to bed as bulls**t....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Would Varadkar and especially Martin let him run with that though

• Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Don't think there'll be a retirement/ get out scheme. Milk supply is falling naturally itself and if a get out scheme comes in too many would exit.

Election coming up and alot of ill-will across all farming sectors for the current government, if they aren't bothered about the rural vote and have already planned on losing td's in strong farming constituencies at the next election well and good, but if they still want to buy our votes they'll have to pony up money...

Ifa are protesting ff/fg this week at their "think-ins", very unusual to see the above, but in fairness its needed they seem to have zero intrest in the agricultural sector anymore and the various ag lobby groups have no more power over government policies anymore

If the truth be told tirlain are the only co-op a drastically reduced milk supply could sink because of debt levels, the other co-ops would probably consolidate and be fine.....

The quick win government could achieve by a reduction scheme re green-house gas emissions is the only reason it would go ahead and maybe try and buy a few votes for the next election...

Dairy farmers by our nature would loathe to get out of cows, even where age is a issue and no successor a carrot is needed to get a good % drop in cow numbers quickly, rather then natural wastage

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

Whelan is right. Too many would get out and the soft jobs would be affected. Alot of lads sick of it after this year. Re the IFA, I don't know why they are bothering to protest now when it's all just too little and too late like their derogation protests after the decision was made.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

was talking to a chap that is on the board of ICOS 3 wks ago... i raised the point of ICOS coming out against a funded retirement/cow reduction scheme.. he said there wont be a cow left in the country if it comes in.... definitely lads that are 60+ with no successor will pull the plug... and there are many others who are sick of dealing with co-ops... sick of the govt and EU and the stupid rules coming in every year... that will also pull the plug...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

If the government brought out a proper beef and dairy retirement there would be plenty land available for the remaining victims.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Im a first time poster and have been reading the thread.Im also a large dairy farmer my observation of whats going on in dairy is the general farming community hates dairy farmers.Dairy farmers have been putting beef sheep and tillage farmers of rented ground for years.ifa have helped this by farm partnerships where large farmer sons daughter can get entitlements as new entrant or partberships. Huge grants hav been given for past 10 years to make farms biggers.Grants were given for huge parlours and sheds on the basis of rented leaded land this land is now unaffordable and uneconomic to rent so just like all the suckler units built during celtic tiger on grants there will be some white elephants around the country soon.Dairy farmers wil get no support from fellow farmers look at last weeks protest iv seen more at a calf sale hardly goin to put fear into the government id say all that were ther were on salaries macra ifa icsa

The protest last week wasn’t meant to be a big protest. They were showing there unhappiness with the government by boycotting the talk

Mondays one is a proper protest

give out about Ifa all you want but this government just doesn’t give a shite about farmers. We’ve a minister that didn’t tell us the truth about the deal he made on the dero. He dropped the ball the day he agreed to a midterm review. And then strung us along making us believe maintaining 250 was doable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

The percentage of farmers in derogation is very small there mostly big greedy farmers who no one cares about there a nuisance everyone is sick of them were there any small farmers at last weeks protest

Advertisement