Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

They'll pay as the unwinging down to 220 over the next 4 months is impossible.

Capital hit of 30/40/50 grand in stock slaughter...cows worth 2k killed at 400 and no use of any replacements...value 1600 killed for 700..

No means of keeping till calved and then slaughtering as they'll have eaten too far into next year's nitrates budget.

The sum will come down to protecting existing sales and avoiding this capital destruction.

The per acre figure that would make sense is not printable here.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Ginger is right if you can feed x number of cows on x number of acres then havet rent extra land just to keep the same number that money for rent is purely wasted and a cost

A comment about someones appearance like that is nt the kind of low id ever steep to.

How wud that be fair a guy with 160 wud go crazy the department have been here before with rules

Whats all this killing ur on about i dont think any cow worth 2k needs to be slaughtered for 400.Heifer calves were making 500 all summer even with derogation threat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

Would be the right job for anyone over 154 lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,981 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I think smaller herds should be exempt like mf says, hard to know procedures for the larger herds

Im not in derogation so it would not matter to me i think the whole thing is crazy the way they are going a bout it.Is it water quality or emsision or both they want reduced.i can guarantee water will not improve i nz years ago hedges were planted near watercourses to soak up nutrient run off paddock were tested and results had to come down.This thing of spreading no p or k if index 2 above.How will we reseed.There should be maintance levels of p and k applied.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Alot easier to take the penalty to your biss, next year obviously you'll be out of derogation then for 2025 but what about it, its likely gone by 2026 anyways...

The penalty rates are harmless enough too, it's only when you really act the bollock, they fine you 150% plus, have a letter from years ago at this rate when I was still submitting a bps form for land farmed, wasnt drawing any monies, I thought you had to submit area farmed but after the above warning letter I stopped submitting anything, and they haven't been in contact since that's 10 odd years ago

Havent the big herds two or three families to feed.It shud be the same for Everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,024 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

MOD:

Folks, when I ask daiymann 5 to stop personalising his remarks, I don't expect him to have to take it from others.

To respond in that way is your choice, but you are also choosing the consequences.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

I’d lie down and die before I’d retire to a beach. I genuinely can’t think of anything I’d hate more than being sent to Spain, or any “sun” country, in my 60’s and the majority of farmers I know would be the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭older by the day

Here I go again. We have only a handy farm. But my parents were able to hand it over to me. Because of the early retirement scheme 12000 per annum. And I drew the installation aid. 5000 pounds plus. I built a big slatted house. Timber on the roof. Normal amount of steel and no problems getting the grant. It ended costing only 17000 pounds.

We are after 20 years of weak union representation. The politicians have walked all over us. I have to agree with dairyman, there is only very few young people full time farming.

That protest today was a joke. Just going through the motions. If that was real there would be guards dragging lads off Micheal Martin. The "west's asleep" again I think

No offence and everyones entitled to do what they like but isnt ths a huge problem on farms older generations hanging on until there 80s or more it usually ends up that by the time a successor thakes over they too are to old and not willing to invest so drystock is put on farm or rented out ive seen fine dairy farms over the years ran into ground by owners who when bet with pains wud rather pt drystock on it rarher than rent it to a young farmer or neighbour.

The government had taken farmers for real fools look how they have reduced cow numbers.Banding and nitrates reduction it he hasnt cost them a single cent.

If the ifa were genuine at them protests there wud be men chained to gates but in truth most of those who were there were county chairman and employed by ifa they probably got all expenses paid to protest.I could be wrong again but wasnt there an american tour this year the presidnt and county chairs going around america mouthing out of them it got a very brief mention in ifj .

• Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

I don't think there's any point protesting about payments being made later a week before they're due, this was known ages ago.

Coulnt agree more this latest protest is a new low i remember when beef plan blocked all the factories ifa went to grange of all places jumped a fence with a ladder i think if memory serves me the burnt a bale of hay.

I think the horse on jockey protest is real desperation they know thev let alot of the big farmers they represrnt down and they want to put on some sort of show as quickly as they can

• Registered Users Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Jjameson

an acre of reasonable ground vs extra fertilizer on your own. Fert price being the decider in this situation dictates which was better value.

• Advertisement

Those extra acres if not farmed with nitrogen wont yield high quality silage or grass for milking cows it wud be fine for replacement heifers or store beef cattle

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Saw this example of financial planning in the Farming Indo this morning and thought of @Bass Reeves. A good accountant is more valuable than any animal or tractor.

Posting here as the example relates to a milking parlour.

The article is written by Martin O’Sullivan, a tax advisor in Carrick-on-Suir. Anyone here ever deal with him?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

You can do those same figure for everything even tractors its how lely sell robots they break it down per day costs in there sales pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Was driving to Dublin at the weekend. Some woman on the radio was doing similar type maths to justify buying a dress

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭straight

Price of a fancy cup of coffee a day 🤣

What people also forget you have to make a nice profit and be paying high rate of tax also tams grantbis mentioned there 60% any grant i looked at lately between advisor planning xtra spec not being allowed do it the way i want it was far cheaper without grant

• Registered Users Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭green daries

That's the big one hanging on till the bitter end serves noone but the older generation being around on farms as a helping hand and a guide to what is a solution to a problem is invaluable ........it depends on the mindset of the older farmers usually.a lot of the farms that end up with dry stock or rented out usually have no-one interested in taking over a dairy farm

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

I'm waiting on a man to come back to me on slurry storage (I might ring him later) and he's pricing it grant spec initially.

But as he said, the non-grant tanks aren't made of matchboxes either.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

We are quoted 40k for 4 bay 16’6 slat 9ft deep tank and concrete for around it and not a grant job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

There should only be a very minimal difference in price between a grant and non grant tank. The only difference would be that you’d get away with a bit less steel and maybe 35 newton concrete instead of 37. Everything else is the same.

Advertisement