Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭straight

Ya, I could be wrong on numbers. I didn't see the sale myself. I'd take the hand off a fella for 200 to 250 for a 3 week old Angus in the month of march.

100-150 would be more the run of it in fairness and that's for good square calves not your x-bred beef crosses, the journals weekly prices recorded for calf sale prices clearly shows that

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Nope with nitrates reductions why keep 3 cows when 1 will do …..produce more milk and kgms with less cows and less organic n produced

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I say she had being fattened a bit. There was good flesh on her she was in Gortnalea last Friday night. Lot number 2054. The lot before her was an older CH cow that was 410kgs, she only made 480 euro.

Hard to get anything over 150 euro for most AA bull calves nowadays at three weeks. 170 kgs for a sis month old bull calf is a bad weight. The first cattle I bought when I stated farming 20 years ago were AA yearling bullocks 330kgs at 12 months squeezed the whole lot.

220kgs would be a poor weight for a six month old calf at the time. Many were April born back then not February/March born as now.

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

2/250 for good well shaped well fed Angus @3 weeks was gotten around here last spring …poorer ones anything from fr bull money to 150

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Yes but were they 3 weeks old alot of farmers dont register for a few weeks it saves tb testing id never bring a 3 week to mart as farmers no matter how gd they are have fear of sickness.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭older by the day

I think a lot of farmers have it in their heads that everyone else is on huge money and they should have big money too.

It's all about your costs. I do my own work except silage. I mind the kids while she works part-time.

I know a lot of lads who work harder in jobs that scrape 30000 take-home pay.

By the way what's driving the weanling bull price ch bulls 370kg 1400. They would hardly make it in a years time

600 a week take home pay plus holiday pay, pension contributions, bank holidays, 39 hour week. No responsibility after you close the door at work. All you need is any old banger of a car to get you in and out of work and the rest of the 600 after tax is your own. I worked for nearly 20 years and it's chalk and cheese.

My farm and stock and machinery must be worth over 2 million euro and feck all return for that. Just lucky to scrape a wage for the 80 hour week. It's a labour of love or a vocation if you like but I will continue to complain about the poor returns from farming considering the assets and the labour invested.

I also have houses let to tenants and for all the complaining about that there is a return for your investment and your time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭older by the day

I worked off farm for over ten years too. I'm just saying that it's not all sun shine at other jobs either. Buy a house near the city, mortgage, child care, and trying to stay up with the Jones. At least when you're on your own farm you can do something to control the costs. Like I says every van that goes down the yard is at least a thousand euros. It's time for farmers to keep their hands in their pockets and stop spending. It might make it clear to politicians, how important farmer's money is.

• Advertisement

Locked up the wallet a long time ago here. I'm very good at tightening my belt. 😉

Staying up with the Jones's is just as much of an issue in farming as outside of farming or perhaps even more so. It's not something that ever bothered myself. I have the oldest jeep for the school pickup. As Robert kyosaki said "the problem with keeping up with the Jones's is that the Jones's are broke".

One of my biggest goals is to be rich without anybody knowing I'm rich. 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,146 ✭✭✭blackdog1

your also not taking into account the price of cull cows and calves. Plus extra cubicles and feed space, slurry storage and labour costs for the extra cows.

Mist people on lower wages sub 40k/year will have few benefits like penson contribution or HI. About half the workers nationwide are without a pension

When you consider that all public service and state bodies workers have there is a substantial number that do not.

The vast majority of those earning under 40k/year would not have anything beyond standard entitlements.

40k/ year gives you a take home pay if 633/week just to put it in perspective or just slight under 20 euro/hour which is considered a fairly good hourly rate.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

Vaccinations, foot trimming, veterinary calls, every calving is a cost now, both in terms of extra labour and calf rearing. The lost of cow costs just goes on and on. Tags, testing, insurance, etc. Less cows - more milk I think anyway.

I'd take the standard entitlements and 20 euro per hour for the first 39 hours, time and a half for the next 4 hours and then double time after that. Also it's illegal to work anymore than 60 hours a week. Not too many sh1t jobs left out there like you are talking about I'd say. They are probably older workers or self employed that are without a pension.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Whatever about wages, pension, hours, etc. the biggest pro or con for off-farm work is the people you have to work with.

Long hours and poor pay is manageable if you’re having a bit of craic and there’s a sense of purpose to what you’re doing.

Flexible hours and good money is worthless if you’re stuck with pampered people and admin/paperwork. Calling it a fancy name or having a fancy job title doesn’t make up for it either.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

When you look at the sub 40k/year sector it's mostly the service sector. While some will pay time and a half its usually for the first 8 hours. They may pay double Saturday afternoon or Sunday, many however will not they will roster workers on a 5 over 7 day shift.

With most jobs you are looking at least 30+ minutes travel time to and from work.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Alot of jobs now are not as they seem theres a serious about of jobs which are contracts.There fair expenses with a job tolls fueletc

600 a week net is not sub 40k. I'm surprised with you Bass quoting a survey from a biased source like Zurich as of to strengthen your point. It was time and a half after the first 4 hours for me and everything after that was double. Triple time on a bank holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

Your not taking into account the amount we get paid for milk solids. Im a lakeland supplier. They paid around 4.80euro for a kg of milk solids. 1500kg = €7200 for 2 ton of meal fed

650kg =€3,120 for 2 plus ton of meal fed.

Feed costs are crazy.

Turnover is vanity, profit is sanity

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Like most dairy farmers my dairy washings tank is not big enough for the regs and we are playing with ideas for extra storage.we have 2 weeks and we are talking about building another separate tank which may form part of cattle house.can I say that we pump the first 2 weeks into that new tank but the last 2 weeks stay in the original tank and therefore only allocate that 2 week s storage out of the new tank to washings that must be stored until slurry spreading dates and use of the storage in the rest new tank for cattle slurry storage .Will that wash with inspector's.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Could be wrong but if washings are going into a slurry tank the storage must hold the washings for the full closed period. So it's a case of having enough to keep it separate for the washings closed period or have enough storage to hold 16 weeks, or whatever area you're in, parlour washings in addition to slurry volume required for slurry closed period

I understand that if the washings are going directly in to cattle housing you must store it for 16 weeks but mine aren't only the 2 weeks worth will be transferred in and the other 2 weeks can be spread 1 st of January on paper anyway but I don't milk over Christmas so I don't have any washings then anyway but it's all about satisfying the regs

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

I would not be taking two much notice of them dumfuk regulations specially if you are dried off for a month or more

I

I don't know about that.if you don't have the storage not only will you be hit with a fine for that you will also be hit as you will be excluded from derogation and then hit for exceeding your nitrates.

I have my parlour washings going into a slurry storage tank. That's the way I like it. It's about 95 feet X 12. It's almost full now and will be handy for following cows. Ya, it affects my slurry storage capacity but I have loads for the time being. I wouldn't like a small parlour washings tank. I have 3 other tanks for slurry storage and I can pump parlour washings around to them to dilute them also or to just even up the levels as some fill up faster than others.

I done your maths for you,

50ha milking block stocked at 220kg/ha....

At a ration price of 380 a ton, its costing an extra 20k for the year in extra meal costs on the high yielders after discounting the extra milk solids produced....

The fixed and variable costs on running an extra 16 cows plus cull and calf cow sales been alot higher for the higher yielding cows I'd say theirs not a whole pile in it profitability wise and if a lad was been really technical the extra 16 cows infrastructure cost to the business in cubicles/slurry storage etc conservatively could be costed in at 3.5k a cow, let's say 400 euro a year on the 16 cows in extra intrest/capital repayments and that puts another circa 7k yearly in costs on the low yielding herd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭mf240

If you had it big enough . You could use it to water down other tanks in summer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

But that's 3 cows at 92kg of organic n or 274kg total versus 1 cow at 106kg n.. or 2 high yielding ones doing 1300kgs for a total of 212kgs organic n. you will need acres for the extra cows and they don't come easily or cheaply either.

Advertisement