Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

From a new reseed it may surprise you. As much about setting up new seed for the year ahead as making silage. Zerograzed and then grazed reseed that went too strong last autumn and should have baled it all tbh, would have been a better job for the sward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,301 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

It’ll be cheaper than going hand in cap next march looking for silage paying 40/50 euro a bale for silage in a bale which you’ve no idea of quality …fook the begrudges …correct move …..I’ve 30 acres I’ve decided not to bale …cows in at night from Monday …will be zero grazing that at 70 euros per load along with 2 bales of silage every night and grass by day for next month or so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Jb1989

No one is begrudging grass2 haveing to spend money baling it, as he and everyone else would rather graze it if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

I have a small herd. Im not in derogation.

I dont claim any Bps but i am compliant at 220.

If i was milking 70 or 80 cows or less, god almighty wont make drop any cows or lease any extra land at huge expense.

Farmers need to stop bickering and stand together.

All the changes being made are not given a chance to bed in.

This is death by regulation, its derogation now, its going to be something else next month, value of slurry halved, max numbers on grazing platform, year round slurry storage, cpo land by private companies/ the state

Lies are being told at state level and through the media to destroy our reputation

A line in the sand has to be drawn.

No more.

This shite will push people to the edge.

We lost so many young men to suicide during the death of the celtic tiger due to being unable to provide for their famillies and fear of failure. This will happen again.

Make no mistake, what we are seeing now is eu/state sponsored form of bullying against dairy farming.

We are the only industry bearing the brunt of climate change. It was announced today that 90% of companies in ireland couldnt give a shite about climate change. Their customers dont care. Its not profitable

The department, the ministers, the lying **** of fosil funded emviromemtal experts, the eu and the green agenda are trying to **** us at all costs.

Im sick of being a pariah, a polluter, a calf killer and a general farmer ****.

Im making no more concessions. If its not advantageous for my business it wont be done.

The farming lobby is a disgrace, the anti dairy farmer agenda has successfully created division and destroyed any affective lobbying power.

The public hate us.

A stand has to be made.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

How long have you stopped returning the BPS?

Can you see it as being a viable option for those who can't take the financial hit of reducing or indeed slaughtering stock for 30% of value?

Can you give us any experience re inspections, bord bia approval, pressure from authorities etc?

I'm seriously considering just taking the 20% fine and removal from derogation for 2 years as I can't countenance the immediate financial hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Bangoverthebar

I never claimed bps.

Bord bia no issue.

Never had an inspection. No pressure from authoritys. Im not taking the piss and doing anything to stand out.

Why should you take a financial hit just because some bureaucrate says so. **** them.

There will be people who will say if we stop claiming bps, the department will change the rules to catch you.

There has to come a moment in time were farmers say no more.

Less regulation, not more.

#### them is right.. Fair play..well done..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

It’s not that simple unfortunately

as far as I’m aware if you’re stocked over 220 and not exporting slurry you are breaking the law and the co Co could decide to go after these farms if they get more common

also if you want to take on sone land and the owner wants sfp back how do you claim it if you’re not claiming anything yourself ?

it’s nice to see someone not bound by payments but I don’t know if it can be wide spread solution country wide

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

As well SFP on a 40 HA farm would be 10.5+k minimum, ANC if applicable another 3+K so 14 K between the two of them. You would want 50+K in turnover just to break even.

I wound assume that if you do not fill.out an area aid form you cannot access TAMS so this will limit farm development. TAMS is worth up to 40k or 60k depending on your rate.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Plus, there are talks of a certain cohort not being allowed to register on the fertiliser database.

• Advertisement

Those who "know" and those who "do"...!!

Advisors and so called experts who rely on us to line there pocket will hardly say any less ….there’s no issue as long as your compliant as regards slurry storage for stock on hand and not polluting any rivers

council or dept won’t have much interest in you as what’s there mean of fining you

on the entitlements ….owner can lease tgem out or sell them

as long as your bird bia approved that’s all coop are worried about

more and more people will go this route out of nesecity and more power to them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,815 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

The fertlizer register will be the main issue. The minister can limit or take people off the register.

If you have not applied for a derogation and are not on the area aid system they could limit you to minimum or no fertlizer.

Ya you probably will get away for 1-2 seasons. However it depends on how many decide to do it. If it's in the hundreds the department will act. It may mean registration with the EPA or the LA for you to access fertlizer.

Board Bia may link in this way as well. Do not think that if several hundred of the most intensive dairy farms decided to leave the area aid system the department will not react

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Do the sums lad youd be as well off getting entitlements and keeping less cows and staying within the law

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

10 years here re no bps claimed and not so much as a letter from the department, their is some stipulation re bord bia having to keep one active entitlement, but you can sell the rest that's a secondhand story I heard from a lad, never drew the bps since I started bord bia so they cant do me for it afaik

Ifs …buts …many’s ….im in dero and compliant with all actions ….banding and nitrates changes having big affect on my operation …..can live with 220 but if that goes I’m at something called nothing operating at 170 ….no bps and flog entitlements and belt away only option ….im registered for feetliser and not close to maxing out what I’m allowed spread

You have way to much faith in the department to be honest, the scandal re the springs been used for kids that where made in a lads shed tells it's own story of our public sector

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭roosterman71

How is foregoing entitlements/BPS allowing you stay over 170?

Present day the only penalty for breaching the limits is been fined a % of your bps, start off a 10% progresses to 30% and year 4 the fines go to 150% then to 200% of your bps....

If you don't submit any bps, your left alone, unless hypothetical the local council shuts you down but I have never heard of the above and a google search shows up noting bar this chap who got a fine for letting slurry repeatedly into a waterway, anyone in that area on here know this place and was he shutdown by the council etc after this court judgement

https://www.fisheriesireland.ie/news/press-releases/slurry-discharge-costs-midleton-dairy-farmer-eu8000

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Thanks. I'd say if more and more forego the payments that BPS link will be removed and it will be set amounts. Probably should be done anyway

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 675 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Piggery are controlled and need a licence to operate its fairly strict and well monitored surely the same will apply to dairies wasnt there talk earler on in year about licences.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

Loose lips sink ships.

If it helps out a few lads on here who thought the department van and Gardai would be in the yard to take the cattle and him/her off down the station if they go a certain route so be it....

Theirs cull dairy cows and likely in-calf heifers going to be given away the next few months our numbers cut that will cost lads tens of thousands of euros, some heavily borrowed units maybe even undermine their viability, having to chance the above might be a given not a choice

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Without a.bps application they cant tell what stocking rate you are at.fact.they can prosecut you for not having enough storage or if you are polluting but it's the council responsibility and the council only care about polluting streams and rivers.if you are not polluting a stream or river and have plenty storage for what animals are on your agfood you have nothing to fear except for you coop deciding to tie supplying to compliance.the only other thing that.could happen is holdings above a certain size having to apply for an epa licence but that seems to be on the back-burner. We have become very institutionalised in our thinking

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

What would the bps payment of approx. 50 H.A all owned actually be worth?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,473 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Is that actually true? From what I can see you do nothing but post your opinion as fact with no backing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,046 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

The co Co in Wicklow wrote to every dairy farm in the county and asked for stock numbers, area farmed and slurry storage capacity

all were being inspected no less than 2 weeks after said letter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,490 ✭✭✭Jb1989

I'm sure it's not far off the mark. As he said, do the sums.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,207 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Regarding not bothering to send in area aid applications

Surely the whole point of the fertiliser register is to tell how much fertiliser a farmer is using per ha, how will they know that if they don't have your area farmed.

It's BS boasting that you're below the fertiliser limit if you expect the department of ag to have divine intervention to know how much you're farming.

It's messing with the rules that has farmers tightened up the way they are, maybe deservedly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,317 ✭✭✭green daries

Advertisement