Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭older by the day

True. I will move them tomorrow on to higher ground. And let them out full-time. Weather is picking up the weekend for a few days. They do get lazy grazers when they get silage

• Registered Users Posts: 2 OmegaRider

wow, I saw same story

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭older by the day

You have to pick the bulls that suits you.

A few 300 kiwi cow herds here in West cork too. With 70 or 80 replacement heifers. Don't believe that they are rearing them for the crack. Any cows, doing a lot of road will wear out.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Opportunity cost there Bass, this mytical thing......

• Registered Users Posts: 11,509 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I'm kind of getting fed up on here. I've started dipping my toe posting on another forum where it's better moderated and genuine as a result.

The history here is being trashed. I've met some great people from here in real life. But it's really getting dirty here. I wouldn't post any of the new stuff I do here anymore. It's not worth it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

I know what ur saying but i tried kiwi cross great feet and legs udders iffy.only for calf issue id still use them.If a cow cant walk what gd is she

• Registered Users Posts: 2,958 ✭✭✭cute geoge

In fairness you are in a different league then the rest of us poor mortals .

! question before you bail on us ,I had reduced lu/h since mid summer and also skipped spreading n a few rounds and reduced considerbly back to 10-15 units the other times .it was a mighty growthy here localy on old leys and grass went completely ahead of me the last few weeks but i made cows eat it down by strip grazing with result drop in production .I spread low units of yara nitro boost one round and cows shaved the grass .I am just wondering if not spreading some fert.each round is a false economy in that it makes the grass more palatable .I was seriously impressed with the yara nitro boost

So the grass is more palatable after spreading the yara nutri booster than when you spread nothing and you're wondering if it's a false economy by not spreading in every round as a result? I take it.

That's your micro nutrients in the nutri booster. Sulphur, sodium and selenium. You may really do full comprehensive soil test to see what's what but going off your observation it seems they're lacking. You are getting the growth because you are bringing those elements up. Theoretically if you had those elements up and supplied you wouldn't need the nitrogen. The soil would be balanced getting those and it would favour biology to supply the nitrogen to the plant.

In the back of my mind I've an idea to make up a fert mix with everything else bar nitrogen and phosphorus. Perfectly blended in proportion that could be spread in the closed period on grassland. I could mix it up in a concrete mixer bucket on the loader with weighcell and into the fert spreader.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭green daries

Ya really find the trace elements works wonders for the second half of the year it really improves palatability

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Let us know what concoction you put together on this. You could do the environment a huge favour if you turn up something favourable by hoovering up any excess N that might have otherwise leached, as well as increased DM production.

It could be a very repeatable "fix" across all farms through conventional sprayers. If it utilised extra nitrogen, the impact on WQ would have to be enormous.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Tested two bunches of April calves for worm eggs 3/4 weeks ago. One reading around 400 - dosed these. Another 100 - didn't dose. Last week one of the second group was very wet and **** at the back; I decided it was either coccid or worms. Went with the worm dose Chanoverm. Dried up fully the day after.

Not sure if it'd make it's own nitrogen or hoover up others around it. It could actually hoover up excess with the growing plant.

Jesus. I'll be rich.🤣

It'd be granular in the fert spreader.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,191 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I see forum s that are alot less moderated than here .in the past there has been newbie posters have often light a few fires but have often settled into fine contributers over time and we hope .as greysides has as his motto and I m paraphrasing here .the goal should not be to win the discussion but to listen and learn.

There's taking the p1ss too though.

A quiet word behind the scenes and a stick shown behind the scenes can turn things around too.

I should know and probably others long enough here do as well.

Intuition goes a long way too.

Have a look at the other British and half Irish half British farming site and compare it to the tone here. If one poster says something is off you could dismiss that poster, if more than one says it you take notice.

Anyway ye know yourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Those British sites are mostly contributed to by fulltime large commercial farmers. Majority of farms in the UK are 100+++ acres. Many are mixed tillage dairy or tillage beef operations. Most wound have a completely different ethos to here.

Just because someone has a different ethos and opinion to your is no reason to get hot under the collar. It amazing how sensitive some dairy farmers are to a different opinion.

TBH people are insulting him as much as he give it back. It's just less noticeable as it 3-4 v 1.

A good few year ago there was a lad came onto the beef side of this I think he called himself New Beef Farmer he had inherited land from an uncle and became he said there was money in it he was hounded by some posters. He just minimally stocked, drew his SFP, ANC and got into REPS and kept 15 ish stock he bought in February and sold in late October/November, he probably have gone organic 5 years ago.......like many lads now. The lads bickering with his have probably caught up with him at this stage

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 5,217 ✭✭✭Grueller

Not just dairy farmers Bass. There are tillage and beef men here that get upset too if anyone sees things differently. I work off farm and people in that organisation are the same. It is a people thing.

Bass he doesn't have a milking parlour.

He doesn't have dairy stock.

He doesn't rear heifers for 700 on rough ground.

He doesn't go in and buy stock off dairy farmers. He doesn't sell his own stock.

He doesn't insult tillage, beef, sheep farmers.

He does insult dairy farmers constantly on here.

You can't spread slurry legally in date on dry ground or make silage now without negative comments.

If all that is not trolling. What is?

Bass you were the one who brags constantly about how you bought your farm and paid for it through stock that others said couldn't be done. That's commercial farming. Now you are defending someone who gives out about only dairy farmers renting land. He has nothing to say against tillage, sheep, beef, potatoes renting land. If you were a dairy farmer Bass and this farmer saw you buying land you'd be labelled as greedy. This is the logic here. This is what you defend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Plus 1 👍👍👍this place gone to shore lately …led by 1 or 2 and one in particular gigantic shite stirrer who takes joy in been a smart arse ….mods have a tough job but jaysus this ladddddd has had long enough 99% here wouldn’t be sad to see him turfed out

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭Jb1989

Another new poster on the milk price thread had men throwing the toys out of the pram too.

There is as much sensitivity as trolling currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭DBK1

There’s a difference of opinion and then there’s just trolling.

If you’ve been following the posts from that poster then you’d see they don’t make sense. Back when he started posting he stated he was milking 155 cows and classed himself as a “big dairy farmer”. I know men milking near enough that many and they have full time jobs as well.

Then just this week he stated hes from the midlands and he’s a bigger farmer than his 3 nearest neighbours who are all derogation farmers. So his 3 derogation neighbours are all milking less than 50 cows yet the main trend in his posting is that derogation farmers are all big greedy farmers?

I’m from the midlands and contracting so I’d be in and out of a lot of yards. I genuinely don’t know 3 derogation farmers in the total area I cover, let alone 3 of them that are all joining one another and smaller farmers than their neighbouring 155 cow dairy farmer.

Like I said, it’s not hard to figure out. He’s a bulsh**ter in a fariytale land. The simplest way of dealing with him is to ignore him. There’s enough of people here giving genuine opinions and advice without needing to listen to bulls**t.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,522 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Ye are worse for discussing him. As in everyday life there'll always be assholes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭Gillespy

Was it you that said cost of production this year was 18c/l or something like that? If so, no wonder you haven’t a problem with the direction the dairy threads are going.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

Was kinda concerned with what my tax bill could be this year but my accountant came up trumps for me. I'm gone income averaging far a while and then company it looks like. Made 1600 per cow he told me in 2021, will be up over 2k per cow in 2022 they said. I have 24 month accounts so my 2022 accounts that I pay in 2023 are for 2021 profits. It's a weight off my mind. Should have trusted them in the first place but I often find it hard to give over full control.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Milk supply must be seriously tightening up our theirs lactose issues, it's usually the middle of December before milk here might have to go up to virgina, it's going up their now already 110km trip from the yard here to the factory and the haulier has a 150km trip back to his yard on the return trip

• Registered Users Posts: 1,225 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

You'll still end up paying the tax with averaging just not this year. If you've plans for a company I wouldn't bother averaging

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Gone to three day collection here, very early for it

I'm only farming 5 years and my first couple of years were low profit due to higher investment. So I have those low profit years for a while.

Our driver dropped to two loads a day a couple of weeks ago. Feck all milk around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

Too many lads following the IFJ advice of not feeding, expecting cows to milk off watery grass while up to their bellies in puddle.

Still doing 17.5 litres here, lactose 3.74 in one yard 3.65 in the other.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Is in not just me but when i thought of fixing i would only be able to get a very small amount fixed and i would be locked in to a contract to supply so if milk went 20 id still have to supply certain months this wouldnt suit me as id dry of the cows early and me and the woman wud go on holidays

Advertisement