Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,564 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I would not accept that.

You are misquoting him. Did he say rough ground, I have not got time to go back and re-read his posts, but I taught he said old grassland. I have a couple of unreseeded paddocks, actually I have done no reseeding in about 5 years. Those old paddocks preform very well. Actually doing my Acres application last year on a reseeded paddock that often invariably is used to outwinter on he commented on well.it holds up and how it is managed.

Like I said to you he is on the ball on the cost of rearing heifers in a system below 170kgsN/ Ha. You might not like to hear that but it on the money after initial 3 months costs in a below 170 kgs system you will not be taking third or fourth cut silage that is basically bags of water. Ya it might be up and above 80 dmd, but it will mostly be 20 or below DM. Ya it will dry out as effluent drains out if it but it's expensive feeding.

Dairy farmers have pushed hard over the last ten years and elbowed many other lads aside including other dairy farmers. Some will call it greedy. Some might not like to hear it but it probably a reality in some other farmers thinking. I have heard those conversations by other farmers and dare I say it farm advisors in the non dairy sectors

On the slurry spreading on dry ground he was off the wall. However a good few dairy farmers got caught out probably saving a bit for nearer the closing day to use it to boost grass growth. It was not that long ago when there was a month between the artificial and organic fertilizer closing date the advice was to go out with 1k gallons ish/acre in early October. You will not see that now printed but the thinking is still there.

There is no point in insulting beef and tillage farmers on a dairy farm thread.

Finally a the new proposal to grant aid specific slurry storage @70% is pi$$ing me off. Ya it has something that will not effect me but it's a stupid idea. Moving huge volumes of slurry off farm from a nutrient point of vier makes no sense from an economic or environmental point if view. It's giving a hidden subsidity to a certain cohort of farmers it's the same as Beam a few years ago it just hides the cracks in the system

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I find the bragging about buying land and snipes at others who were left it to be very ignorant of reality. In many cases lads forgo outside opportunities out of a sense of responsibility to help out their parents etc and work for years for very little because the farm can't support massive drawings.

IMHO the lad who had it handy was the one who got the stroke of luck in buying a block at 2-3k an acre while having a 9-5 regular income to back it up. And I say that as some who almost bought a sizeable enough neighbouring block here about 5 years ago (it wasn't sold in the end up) and I would have paid for it purely out of savings I had from the 9-5. No windfall from investment or anything like that - just money set aside from salary. And it wasn't that difficult to build up because I more or less could know what was coming in and I more or less know what would be going out this year and the next year and the following year. That's comfort. I say fair play to the lads who inherit their place because they likely worked far harder for what they have.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭straight

I presume that's a typo on your lactose. Doing around 4.6 here on just grass and 4kg of a 15% nut. About 1.4 kgMs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭green daries

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Milk will be well back this backend silage is crap my own was cut mid may crap second cut june crap with meal not covering 1ltr of milk and elecrticity alot of boys ive no doubt have poorer silage than mine will be drying off early if theres a bad spring and milk price doesnt improve andvcows dont getbout sub 30 will be what alot of lads will take next spring including myself

Yes got it in last Sunday. Lucky because the harvester had a misshap in the next job.

Just watched a bit of the Gortatlea sale there on LSL, some difference between cows straight from the parlour and ones properly dried off. Easily 3 to 4 hundred in the difference cows the same weight.

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Yeah the run of cows out of parlour of modern ebi is 300 to 700

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

New factory pricing leaves canner cows worthless even if they kill out well, got 2 euro a kilo for 2 cows last month that averaged 300kgs deadweight, they had no flesh straight out of the parlour and on the flipside a carry-over cull made 4 euro a kilo at 340 deadweight on the same day

• Registered Users Posts: 2,233 ✭✭✭green daries

Are you sure those were cows and no elephants.......🤔😁

Culls this evening in Gortatlea. Straight from the parlour cows sub a euro a kg, dried off cows 1.5+/kg, cows with good flesh 2-2+/kg.

I saw two cows one after the other both 600+kgs one make 550ish and the second made 1k+ and she only had a little flesh.

Dry off the cows lads before going to the mart or factory with them

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,012 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

sold 2 cows at mart today... one weighed 650kgs... a 2nd calver that got hurt after calving last spring... out in a field for ages.. luckily she recovered... she made 1340euros... happy enuf.. other cow 780kgs made 1400... thought she would have made 1500 at least

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭older by the day

I'm going into my accountant next week. I have vasiline and sudacream because I'm expecting to get totally f****ked. He's not going to bother his ass income averaging. Only pension and tell me that the client before me had paid a lot more than I did.

At least the government will spend it wisely

My cows milk has dropped off big time the last 2 weeks. Milk recording sent out a text that they had to be milking x amount to record. They can forget about calling at this stage, I never know. Requested a milk recording 2 weeks ago and haven’t heard back. What happens if you go over the 170 animal nitrogen whatever, just a fine and letter for 1 year? Looks like I’ll hit 180. Be nice if they made statements available earlier in the year, just after looking. These calves no one wants to buy that’s killing me. You’d waste your life rearing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭Good loser

Was talking to a dairy farmer there recently with 15 acres forestry clear felled last year.

If he replants it could cost €1500 to €2000 per acre. Then maintenance. First income would be thinings in maybe 20 years' time.

Alternatively if he could use it as 'Space for Nature' under the BISS scheme he could draw an annual income from it of €2,000 plus per acre per annum without lifting a finger!! From year 1. I have told him, if they insist on him replanting, especially if they want 20/30/40 % hardwoods, to abandon it to scrub?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Thought space for nature was to pay somewhere around 65 to 75 € per ha?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

How did you only get 2€ ?

I thought you’d only get canner price if they were under the 230 dead weight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭jaymla627

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,021 ✭✭✭alps

Bandon on monday

• Registered Users Posts: 6,982 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

New schem out lately to plant 2 hectares and you'll get 2k per hectare per year for 20 years, maybe it was just a dream...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

I see 10 years on IFJ? I'd view it as a €8,000/ac sale transaction (€800/ac for 10 years then probably can't touch ever again after that). Maybe useful for bad sections of a farm

But what would 800 euro be worth in 15 to 20 years time. And then you have to replant, etc as you have lost control of your land. Forestry is basically worse than selling your land cheap imo. Better off sell the place if that's what you want and reinvest somewhere else to preserve the wealth.

I would not rule it out for an acre or two. It could be used as a fuel supply into the future. On marginal land it's a definite option.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

I think a great idea, its only up to 2 hectares which alot of people would manage. Its about planting trees that will be there for generations, not a commercial forest.

2nd Calver 650kgs could be going to NI as a heifer if she was a tight cow and the udder was well shrunk.

The 780kg cow was probably near enough her factory price killing at 48% at 3.8/kg. She be killing 375 at that. TBH finished cows should be going to the factory unless they are very young

Slava Ukrainii

Ruled out here anyway. I already have alot of hedgerows and dikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭older by the day

What ever the others say I'm delighted that you are on here. And that was a question I was going to ask. I have a few nearly fit old cows. Do you think the factory is better

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Good news and bad news with me and milking this week.

The good news: I called into the bank and it looks like they'll give me enough to get up and running. I also called to see another 2nd-hand parlour and its 2ft6 centres so that should be a decent fit. Only 8 units but it can be extended.

The bad news: the reality of it all is slowing dawning on me! I've a hefty amount of work to do to be ready if it goes ahead.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Advertisement