Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

dar31 wrote: »
    Me too, very rare to lift a black foot, maybe once a year, and at that the knife would want to be very sharp or it just hops off hoof.

Cordless grinder is a gift for the cows. Very little knife work since I started using it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

whelan2 wrote: »
    The one motor would be going all day

Just stagger the start times? Although I do see most bigger sheds using rope scrapers, much faster on long runs

jaymla627 wrote: »
    90% plant efficiency versus 61% is probably adding 2-3 cent easily on to Irish processors manufacturing costs versus mainland Europe to be fair

You ommitted to mention the next paragraph in that article Jay where it says that it is far more profitable to invest in extra processing capacity for peak than try to flatten the supply curve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Just stagger the start times? Although I do see most bigger sheds using rope scrapers, much faster on long runs
    One of the runs would ideally want to be scrapped every 3 hours. I probably could have done with one motor but if there was a problem with one run it would slow everything down. Might as well do it right the first time as coming back in a few years and having to put in the second motor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

You ommitted to mention the next paragraph in that article Jay where it says that it is far more profitable to invest in extra processing capacity for peak than try to flatten the supply curve.

Not for the processors, you could safely say ireland probably has the most expensive manufacturing costs per litre in the world at this stage which all translates to a lower price, and if a lad was to be splitting hairs, it could be argued yes it pays to flatten the curve once derogation is maintained at 250kgs/ha and no limits are placed on current allowable fertiliser rates on farm into the future in Ireland, if the above changes all bets are off

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Gman1987

Lots of value add products produced in Ireland that should be returning well north of commodity prices but unfortunately that is not flowing back into farmers pockets e.g. Infant formula, performance nutrition etc. Report does not paint the Irish processers in great light in that they are poor payers, it disregards labour, land charges etc. which can have a massive effect on the overall profitability of farms. It does call out that Irish farmers are good at cost control. I wonder how Ireland would fair out if they ran the same report reviewing the fully supply chain end to end and see what percentage of the output value is returned to farmers. I'd say Irish farmers would be fairly close to the bottom of that list.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,699 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Not for the processors, you could safely say ireland probably has the most expensive manufacturing costs per litre in the world at this stage which all translates to a lower price, and if a lad was to be splitting hairs, it could be argued yes it pays to flatten the curve once derogation is maintained at 250kgs/ha and no limits are placed on current allowable fertiliser rates on farm into the future in Ireland, if the above changes all bets are off

You're supplying the most profitable milk processor in the world. Don't anyone ever tell you otherwise.
    You know in the back of your mind all these press releases are to keep the price paid to farmer down and keep the milk flowing re new entrants.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Gman1987 wrote: »
    I wonder how Ireland would fair out if they ran the same report reviewing the fully supply chain end to end and see what percentage of the output value is returned to farmers. I'd say Irish farmers would be fairly close to the bottom of that list.

I'd pay to see that report :)

But I think processors/retailers here would see that as a badge of honour rather than something to be embarrassed about.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Mooooo wrote: »
    Ah yes leaving out labour costs and didn't see any mention of land costs either. Still shows our coops are poor performers allround

Surely, in a country where zero hour contracts, limited (or no) worker protection, the labor costs are seriously competitive?

Why wouldn’t Irish land prices compare favorably with the likes of Holland where land price is exorbitant?

Teagasc are independent...?

No mention of Tams 99?

whelan2 wrote: »
    The one motor would be going all day

There’s electric motors here that have been working continuously for nearly 40yrs. The only time they get a rest is during a power cut before the generators kick in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Surely, in a country where zero hour contracts, limited (or no) worker protection, the labor costs are seriously competitive?

Why wouldn’t Irish land prices compare favorably with the likes of Holland where land price is exorbitant?

Teagasc are independent...?

No mention of Tams 99?

No worker protection? Labour costs competitive here? Not so sure about that. Find fulltime staff here and see how long they'll stay if not treated right or payed appropriately.
    It may compare with Holland where land prices are exorbitant but in Holland the capital cost of land can written off, not so here. They also view a building at the end of its days once 20 years have passed and access to much cheaper feeds both forages on the continent and grain from the ports. Interest costs are lower here because Irish farms haven't the debt, they are able to invest in the farms and keep going whereas were told don't buy anything get the cows on the ground.
    Shir land prices in France are lower than here both rent and purchase prices, along with finance being at the minimum half the cost of here
    Every country has there own in's and out's and particulars, it's the info put in to all these comparisons that matters

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

It’s official (Teagasc!), Irish dairy farmers, even though receiving the lowest price in EU are achieving the highest margin!!
    Yeezzz can’t deny it now!!!!

https://www.teagasc.ie/news--events/news/2020/irish-dairy-sector-.php

It's there in black and white. Bet you're sorry you left now.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Acquiescence

No worker protection? Labour costs competitive here? Not so sure about that. Find fulltime staff here and see how long they'll stay if not treated right or payed appropriately.
    It may compare with Holland where land prices are exorbitant but in Holland the capital cost of land can written off, not so here. They also view a building at the end of its days once 20 years have passed and access to much cheaper feeds both forages on the continent and grain from the ports. Interest costs are lower here because Irish farms haven't the debt, they are able to invest in the farms and keep going whereas were told don't buy anything get the cows on the ground.
    Shir land prices in France are lower than here both rent and purchase prices, along with finance being at the minimum half the cost of here
    Every country has there own in's and out's and particulars, it's the info put in to all these comparisons that matters

I’m not talking about the Ma or Da. I’m talking hired staff. Red raw greenhorn starts at €19.06/hr...more experienced staff are €26.50+/hr. No such thing as part-time staff, full time or nothing. You wouldn’t dream of pulling a Debenhams stunt here.

Teagasc claim that you are the most profitable dairy farmers in Europe (and NZ). They didn’t say it was due to lack of debt (I’m sure Tams helps a tiny bit) they say it’s because the cost of production is so favorable. You’re even more competitive than NZ!

I wonder did they take grants, vat & tax breaks, low tax economy etc into account?

Easy to see why €350/ac is profitable for conacre.

Teagasc are always correct.

straight wrote: »
    It's there in black and white. Bet you're sorry you left now.

Gutted.

Ffs, if it rained soup, it’s a fork I’d have!!

I’m not talking about the Ma or Da. I’m talking hired staff. Red raw greenhorn starts at €19.06/hr...more experienced staff are €26.50+/hr. No such thing as part-time staff, full time or nothing. You wouldn’t dream of pulling a Debenhams stunt here.

Teagasc claim that you are the most profitable dairy farmers in Europe (and NZ). They didn’t say it was due to lack of debt (I’m sure Tams helps a tiny bit) they say it’s because the cost of production is so favorable. You’re even more competitive than NZ!

I wonder did they take grants, vat & tax breaks, low tax economy etc into account?

Easy to see why €350/ac is profitable on conacre.

[Personally I think the ‘study’ stinks. It plays right into the hands of the Coops].

At €26.50 how much would a lad take home for himself every week over there

At €26.50 how much would a lad take home for himself every week over there

Circa €550-600 for the 35hr week.
    Also includes 5-7 weeks paid holidays + bank/religious holidays.
    Eg. today is another bank holiday (Armistice).
    Had me planting wbarley on my own.

Circa €550-600 for the 35hr week.
    Also includes 5-7 weeks paid holidays + bank/religious holidays.
    Eg. today is another bank holiday (Armistice).
    Had me planting wbarley on my own.

Is it similar to here with lads happy enough to go driving but harder to get someone good with cows

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

Lads and Lassies
    I am going drying off the cows in the morning. I have had them on low dmd silage for the last two days and cut the nuts in the parlour.

The procedure I am going with is
    Milk them, post spray and allow that to dry. Then put in the antibiotics. Swab the teats and put in the teat sealer starting with the front teats first.
    Am I missing anything? I have never dried off cows before so tell me if I am wrong.

Some lads say to leave them 2 days and milk them and then dry off, others say milk oad for a day or two and then do it. My advisor says to do what I have done with the feed and then dry off abruptly. I am not sure what is correct but am following the advisor.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,470 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Is it similar to here with lads happy enough to go driving but harder to get someone good with cows

I think farming simulator is classed as experience over there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Grueller wrote: »
    Lads and Lassies
    I am going drying off the cows in the morning. I have had them on low dmd silage for the last two days and cut the nuts in the parlour.

Milk them, post spray and allow that to dry. Then put in the antibiotics. Swab the teats and put in the teat sealer starting with the front teats first.
    Am I missing anything? I have never dried off cows before so tell me if I am wrong.

Some lads say to leave them 2 days and milk them and then dry off, others say milk oad for a day or two and then do it. My advisor says to do what I have done with the feed and then dry off abruptly. I am not sure what is correct but am following the advisor.

I usually swab, put in the antibiotic and follow that with the sealer on the front left or right, whichever is furthest from me and then onto the next teat. Good shot of dip after the cow is finished. Usually just do a round each day, I find it draining and lose concentration coming to the end of the row.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Lads and Lassies

Definitely don't leave them for 2 days and then milk, that would drive there scc through the roof!

Keep milking them as usual is best as it doesn't rise scc pre dry off.

What we do here is feed hay or silage and straw diet for a few days
    Milk them, wash up completely after milking, go for breakfast, come back and start drying them off then

As for the procedure, we prespray and wipe clean
    Disinfect front teats , dry cow tube both front teats, sealer in both front teats and repeat for the back teats
    Teat spray again and job done

We let them stand in the yard for an hour after too to let the sealer solidify in them

Also, when administrating the dry cow push that up through the teat with your fingers before you remove the tube and massage up into the bag

For the sealer, squeeze the base of the teat right where it joins the udder and administer the tube
    This is so the sealer itself stays in the teat and doesn't enter the udder which is where you want it
    While squeezing in the last of the teat sealer I start to remove the tube so the sealer is right in the tip of the teat canal - I like to see a bit of sealer actually leave the teat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I wasnt talking about ma or da either. And you prove my point France may have higher labour costs but the same regime has lower land costs, every country has different things that increase decrease costs of production.
    Interest was one of the costs in which they took which is why I mentioned the lack of debt in Irish dairying and why interest is lower even tho anyone who has debt is paying more than Europe.
    I agree in that I don't take much from that study as it only plays into the hands of the coops with not enough included tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

I wasnt talking about ma or da either. And you prove my point France may have higher labour costs but the same regime has lower land costs, every country has different things that increase decrease costs of production.
    Interest was one of the costs in which they took which is why I mentioned the lack of debt in Irish dairying and why interest is lower even tho anyone who has debt is paying more than Europe.
    I agree in that I don't take much from that study as it only plays into the hands of the coops with not enough included tbh

I didn't even read it. I did a teagasc course online a few days ago so that's enough propaganda for me for a while. I was looking up about borrowing money for land and it's 5.5%. Bit of a joke when you can get 5 year fixed now for residential @ 3.5%

Lads and Lassies

Make sure to put some red spray on them and take a note in your phone of cows dried off if your not doing entire herd. Just in case they manage to mix with milking cows. Happened me a few years back one that I dried off squeezed through bars on back to back cubicles, hefty fine for antibiotics and as I couldn't identify the treated cow I ended up having to dry the rest of the herd!

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭RedPeppers

Lads and Lassies

Only thing I would question is whether two days cutback in meal and silage enough to dry them up. Suppose it depends on what they were milking up to now. I find here it takes up to one week on the cutback before a lot of them have gone far enough back in the milk to be able to dry them off otherwise they will leak milk and chance of mastitis.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

RedPeppers wrote: »
    Only thing I would question is whether two days cutback in meal and silage enough to dry them up. Suppose it depends on what they were milking up to now. I find here it takes up to one week on the cutback before a lot of them have gone far enough back in the milk to be able to dry them off otherwise they will leak milk and chance of mastitis.

Averaging 11 litres before cut back.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

straight wrote: »
    I didn't even read it. I did a teagasc course online a few days ago so that's enough propaganda for me for a while. I was looking up about borrowing money for land and it's 5.5%. Bit of a joke when you can get 5 year fixed now for residential @ 3.5%
    Ah you d do better than that for land

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

What are culls making out of the parlour atm?

Advertisement