Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Absolutely fine the above once your not expecting a son/daughter to not follow on after you and then taking a hissy-fit when you hit pension age and the above wants to mortgage the place to try and rectify 20 odd years of , living of depreciation

• Registered Users Posts: 18,563 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

@cute geoge and @mahoney_j are comparing a 550/week wage with maybe a bit of OT say 30-32K/year with the eaning from 50 cows. CG was on about starting and finishing time usually in those admin jobs the one thing you have to do is be there. The scales maxes out at 35K. for the OT to pay it has to be mainly saturday or Sunday. The divisor for OT is usually over 40 hours even though you are only working a 35 hour week. If he was working fulltime at it he be starting on 480ish after tax even wuth a bit of OT he will struggle to make 550/week.The Clerical assistant rate goes to about 35Kish.

I finish 60 cattle on the farm and my farm payments are about 13-14K and I make more than the CA(afer tax) at there max from farming and I can hide more income than they can. If CG left 30K to the collector general his taxable income was about 95K for last year it might even be higher as he should be forecasting less perliminary tax for 2023. He also have depreciated a car, a jeep or van, phone, heating oil, dofg food. He might even have had the driveway to the house tarmaced and written it off as a farm roadway or build a garage alongside the house and written that off. Unfortunately by the time I started farming I had the garage and driveway done.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 6,678 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Can't he do the above re the 60 bullocks make a fortune like you allude to along with his sfp, and not have to milk cows 7 days a week, why did you leave the earning potential of his farm out of your calculations to make a bulls**t point

• Registered Users Posts: 19,606 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

It also assumed that George is too thick to know that he could have written off expenses against his income.

George might have been well ahead of him and been writing off that massive refrigerated warehouse over the years as a farm expense, and been carefully stocking it up with a lifetimes supply of dog food. He might also have a 6 high driveway after getting it tarmaced so often. And that before he has his reverse-engineered 95k left.

I, like I presume most posters on here, was shocked to learn that you can write off expenses against your tax. Luckily we have someone who can give us these secret insights.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,809 ✭✭✭straight

From talking to contractors and builders I'm led to believe you are more likely to go broke with 300 cows than 50.

One thing though is that you had a viable farm passed on to you and if you just stand still and take it easy you won't be able to pass on a viable farm to the next generation. Having said that, they might be better off without it.

I see loads of lads buying those things to open the bales alright because they're too lazy to get off the seat. They are gone away up in price I hear since the grant came in for them.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

I would nt go on a public forum advocating fraud if you think an auditor is going to swallow a receipt for tarmac as a farm expense you're very mistaken.anyway you d get.alot of crowds would do it cheaper for cash than you d save with a receipt if you want to advocate fraud

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

Feed out 1100+ bales here every winter, a bale shear would be a gift to that job every day but we’d be lazy then… a lot different story if the lads buying it are putting in 3 bales a day…

• Registered Users Posts: 18,563 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

There is a significant difference between a 95k and a 25-35k salary. The person on the low low salary is limited by the 50 hour average week so will struggle to earn more that 20-30% on top of there yearly salary.

There is a significant difference between a self employed and a PAYE worker and nowadays on top of that you get exactly the same tax allowances. On top of that you will have significant travel and childcare costs.

Yes he can go to dry stock and work and do what I do. His working day will be 7 hours ( I presume a 35 hour week) plus am hour for lunch and the bones of an house to get too and from work so that a 45 hour week without OT. Add 15-20 hours on the farm and it's a 60+ hour week and he is still 20-30 K behind his present income.

I presume that George has everything thing possible written off is that not the point I made. 🦆 You would want to start reading posts you are always at the sh!t of misinterpreting what I post on particular. You

Seem to have a bee in your bonnet. Get over it read the posts and stop misinterpreting and actually understand the post. A self employed income 70-100k would need 90-120+ of a comparable PAYE income to have the same outcome

There is a balance between under investment and over investment. Efficiency is the same. When you add in labour tine and other factors the lad with 50-80 cows under 170 kgsN/ Ha, running a dry stock operation that maximizes his culls and poorer value dry stock may not be far behind a kad with the same land base and running double the cows

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Jack98

Sure he’ll be making 35k in the new job, draw payments on farm and enter as many schemes as possible will surely pull in another 15k and then finish 80 cattle a year if he was milking 40 be well possible at the a margin of 5/600 a head which you’re always is saying is possible he’ll be heading towards a combined income of 100k a year without the hardship of dairy…

• Registered Users Posts: 600 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Remember being at a teagasc talk one teagasc man was spouting quads were gadgets and the likes as if he wont need it to go for cows after a long days work these things needed now as labour is scarce i buy these gadgets as i need them an coclude they will make my life easier and save paying labour i have everything bar a robot to milk the cows.Most of the auld lads with bad hips was due to hardship handscraping slurry no power shuttle tractor forki g silage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭dmakc

There's no point guilting lads who want a bale shear to save the hardship of arsing around with bales whether it be 100 or 1000. As long as they appreciate the hours and energy saved over the winter it's not for anyone else to scoff at

• Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

You have to only look to the part time folks for serious time saving techniques

I remember them saying calf feeders were waste of money for a few weeks of the year. Of course they do have a bad track record when it comes to calves

We have a bale shear the last few years. Before the grant came in. It is a safety thing first and foremost - you don't need to be out walking around bales that are on the loader pulling at plastic or net. You can say that a person can put the bale down when taking those off, but in reality these things are done as quickly as possible. Especially when you are feeding maybe up to 100 bales a week in the middle of winter when everything is in and days are short.

Splitting them also makes the bales a little bit easier to spread out along a feeding passage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,040 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

Maybe he is doing this for lifestyle changes and family, everyone has different views on what they want out of life, here myself and the wife worked hard to pay our house mortgage off as quickly as we could and done it 15 year ahead of the term, we worked hard farming With full time jobs and I milked cows for neighbours and had several night jobs as well driving etc. to make extra money and two kids along the way. When the house was paid for the wife gave up work to stay at home and after Covid she has gone back to work because she missed it. We also have a girl who has spent the last 3 years attending hospitals and 4 surgeries later is getting better and this changes life’s outlook. Sometimes it’s not all about money, a neighbour worked every hour and grabbing for 45 years died and left 700 acres behind and money, the family set the farm and as people say local it’s now like he never existed. Life for living.

If you have them, you have to feed them. We wouldn't hit that here but up to 80 a week would be normal enough when everything is in.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,200 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Remember greenfield kk…..simple pig feeders were too much of a luxury for 400 cows ……bet the lads that thought that weren’t bucketing meal out of a green barrow spreading around collection yard 🙄🙄….anything that makes life easier …cuts hardship and budget allows is money well spent

• Registered Users Posts: 1,777 ✭✭✭older by the day

Remember we were talking about small herds. Then ye started talking about feeding 100 bales a week. Chalk and cheese.

Overseeding is very underrated in my book once the nutrients and lime is right.

And when it comes to young people taking over the farm. The biggest gift I will be giving is the freedom to farm whatever way they want. And loan and rent free.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,228 ✭✭✭green daries

Jack You have to remember that from a lot of people's point of view dairy farmers are ejeets and don't really no what they are doing (some actually don't but that's in every walk of life)if you start from that point of view you can do two things ...laugh and ignore ....or try education. Personally I think educating someone who knows everything is a pointless exercise

• Advertisement

Correct me if im wrong but had they not got pig feeders.I remember it was in ifj that they were

• Registered Users Posts: 11,508 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

I was there at the opening. There were no walls to hang feeders on.

They had a south african advisor on the set up of the farm. And a Canadian advisor before the dissolution of the farm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭ginger22

I believe when the owners took back the farm they went on a spending spree with new facilities. Haven't heard anything since on how they got on.

It’s a fair spot now ….good farm manager in and lot of money spent to make it a proper functioning farm for ainmals and staff

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭Pinsnbushings

Some size of a cubicle shed on it now, don't know what the parlour is like, but the owners wouldn't be short money and would be tidy operators I believe

I was never on farm just what i read in ifj but wasnt teagasc not the advisers.Then after storm emma 2018 there was outside investegation what went wrong.One thing i remember reading was feeders were set wrong easy enough to do.My own view of greenfield was too many in charge no onev responsible.

Surely it was a no brainer back then let someone convert my farm they pay then i take it back when lease is up or even after a few years only in ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

It’s a fair spot now because they got a converted farm. For a song. And they have a pile of motorway money to throw at it

they’re not your typical farmer.

the lad before David when the whole thing was dissolved was a great operator. Really turned the place around

He was the first man to get the herd to sell 550kgs ms

• Registered Users Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

I have one of those bale openers. Great purchase

10 bales a day opened at peak and don’t have to leave the tractor seat once and no silage smell on my clothes stinking out the house

also have a ride on cubicle bedder. 190 cubicles done and dusted in 15 minutes in the morning. A job me or my 74 year old father doesn’t have to any more.

my back back and time Is worth it

• Advertisement

Place couldn’t continue aa it was …totally sub standard as regards facilities etc for man and beast money they spent around yard to bring it to decent standard would dwarf would dwarf what was spent on roads and paddocks …..

Advertisement