Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

whelan2 wrote: »
    What are culls making out of the parlour atm?

Fella calling here today...he paid 680 to a friend of mine a month ago..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Watching Online marts it seems to be in or around the euro a kg, some a bit more and small cows a bit less for straight out of the parlour types. If any of yours are calved since last autumn Whelan they may be more as I assume would have more condition on em than a spring calved cow at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

All spring calvers. Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

alps wrote: »
    Fella calling here today...he paid 680 to a friend of mine a month ago..

cows down in the factory since then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Panch18 wrote: »
    cows down in the factory since then

Factories booked out have heavy culls to move and finding it hard to get them away

One agent told me they're getting pissed off with 'screws from the parlour' and intend to cut them no end. I'm to ring him back on Monday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

orm0nd wrote: »
    Factories booked out have heavy culls to move and finding it hard to get them away

One agent told me they're getting pissed off with 'screws from the parlour' and intend to cut them no end. I'm to ring him back on Monday.
    Think the uk since lockdown arent taking burger meat, that's one of the reasons anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Many still grazing? Taking serious effort here, only really still out because not enough cubicles in the home yard. Just letting them graze covers of 800 on some of the Futher away dry paddocks, but have to pick and choose carefully.

All spring calvers. Thanks

620 best I could do..tidy cows SFZ YMD YAD KKG..

Timmaay wrote: »
    Many still grazing? Taking serious effort here, only really still out because not enough cubicles in the home yard. Just letting them graze covers of 800 on some of the Futher away dry paddocks, but have to pick and choose carefully.

Cows in fulltime with 10 days or so. Heifers in with 3 weeks. Weanlings still out in two separate groups. I have two paddocks I should have grazed with the cows which I may put weanlings into if next week looks better, if not they'll be heading in as well.
    Weanlings will be in a dry shed so the longer they are out without effecting the spring growth the less work it'll be

Not bad out of the yard, were they dried off or straight from parlour?

• Advertisement

Got 500. Tbh they wouldn't get that in the factory atm. Great to see them gone

Timmaay wrote: »

In this last month

Mooooo wrote: »
    Not bad out of the yard, were they dried off or straight from parlour?

Still milking..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Definitely don't leave them for 2 days and then milk, that would drive there scc through the roof!

Keep milking them as usual is best as it doesn't rise scc pre dry off.

What we do here is feed hay or silage and straw diet for a few days
    Milk them, wash up completely after milking, go for breakfast, come back and start drying them off then

As for the procedure, we prespray and wipe clean
    Disinfect front teats , dry cow tube both front teats, sealer in both front teats and repeat for the back teats
    Teat spray again and job done

We let them stand in the yard for an hour after too to let the sealer solidify in them

Also, when administrating the dry cow push that up through the teat with your fingers before you remove the tube and massage up into the bag

For the sealer, squeeze the base of the teat right where it joins the udder and administer the tube
    This is so the sealer itself stays in the teat and doesn't enter the udder which is where you want it
    While squeezing in the last of the teat sealer I start to remove the tube so the sealer is right in the tip of the teat canal - I like to see a bit of sealer actually leave the teat

I’m going to translate the main points in this and stick it up on the dairy noticeboard.
    Concise.

*My crew don’t speak Wexican.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

straight wrote: »

My jaw hit the ground when I read it. What in the fcuk were Teagasc thinking...it looks like the report was commissioned by the Coops.
    Teagasc need to be brought in line about this.
    You can’t even call it lazy journalism because it’s a paper from a research institute.
    Independent research institute?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,841 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

My jaw hit the ground when I read it. What in the fcuk were Teagasc thinking...it looks like the report was commissioned by the Coops.
    Teagasc need to be brought in line about this.
    You can’t even call it lazy journalism because it’s a paper from a research institute.
    Independent research institute?

Genuine question: who paid for this report to be done? All research/analysis costs so who put up the funding?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

Genuine question: who paid for this report to be done? All research/analysis costs so who put up the funding?

It's very hard to know who decided it was necessary to produce the report and where the funding came from. Teagasc doesn't really share that information AFAIK. It looks as though the report was pulled from the teagasc website, all that's let is a more general article

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

What are culls making out of the parlour atm?

85 cent to a 1euro a kg for something with a bit of timber.

Down here most are been bought to kill. Theres not really anyone putting them together for next years grazing yet.

They're was 530 cows in gortatlea last Friday. Keep any eye on it tomorrow.

It's very hard to know who decided it was necessary to produce the report and where the funding came from. Teagasc doesn't really share that information AFAIK. It looks as though the report was pulled from the teagasc website, all that's let is a more general article

Just looked and you’re right - the report is gone. Did a bit of digging and the CIT guy seems to be a mathematician who’s into dairy economics and linked with Teagasc and Laurence Shalloo.

Poor judgement by Teagasc to make a song and dance about it, and it looks like they’ve acknowledged this by pulling it down off the website. In fairness to the CIT mathematician there was probably other useful stuff in the report but this “Irish dairy farmers are the richest in Europe” headline is the sexiest thing in it and so RTE and others ran with that.

Damage done now either way

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,699 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Did any other Glanbia suppliers get an e-mail with a sustainability/environmental survey?

I did. There's boxes where you can fill in other answers.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

What do ye do with cows that are dried off, straight into the shed or out for a few days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭cosatron

What do ye do with cows that are dried off, straight into the shed or out for a few days?

We like them out for a long as possible. It's great for the cow after drying off. Spread them out over the farm in 4s and they wont do much damage and they clean of the paddocks fairly well aswell. They will be roaring for a few days but once they get used to it, they will be sound.

Balls of a morning here heifer lost a calf, cow with a bad scour and one of the first due to be tried with mastitis in a quarter. And more fecking rain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

Mooooo wrote: »
    Balls of a morning here heifer lost a calf, cow with a bad scour and one of the first due to be tried with mastitis in a quarter. And more fecking rain

That's a balls. You can't dry her now for a few days.
    I had planned on drying all of mine off on Tuesday but one got mastitis in a quarter last Friday so I milked them all on until this morning to get it fully clear. All dry cow tubed, sealed and milking machine switched off now til about the 15th of January.
    4 sucklers left to calve in that period only so I will be some lazy bo11ox now for 2 months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

Grueller wrote: »
    That's a balls. You can't dry her now for a few days.
    I had planned on drying all of mine off on Tuesday but one got mastitis in a quarter last Friday so I milked them all on until this morning to get it fully clear. All dry cow tubed, sealed and milking machine switched off now til about the 15th of January.
    4 sucklers left to calve in that period only so I will be some lazy bo11ox now for 2 months.

You need to build up your own condition score for spring. I wouldn't be so confident of Jan 15th. They're getting earlier every year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

straight wrote: »
    You need to build up your own condition score for spring. I wouldn't be so confident of Jan 15th. They're getting earlier every year.

I actually need to get from BCS 4 down to about 2.5 again. I used run half marathons and was injured for a year and only back from it a couple of months so some of the extra time will go back on the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Grueller wrote: »
    I actually need to get from BCS 4 down to about 2.5 again. I used run half marathons and was injured for a year and only back from it a couple of months so some of the extra time will go back on the road.

Does pounding tar not risk mobility in later life.

Does pounding tar not risk mobility in later life.

Depends on your running technique. If you land on the front of your foot (ball and toes), then the impact on your ankle, knee, and hip should be minimal. The arch of the foot should act like a hard spring and absorb the weight.

There’s almost a religion around this “bare foot running”. I’m not into it but the technique works for me and my previously dodgy ankle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,643 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Depends on your running technique. If you land on the front of your foot (ball and toes), then the impact on your ankle, knee, and hip should be minimal. The arch of the foot should act like a hard spring and absorb the weight.

There’s almost a religion around this “bare foot running”. I’m not into it but the technique works for me and my previously dodgy ankle

Yep. The foot is a natural spring as long as ya don't land on yer heel. Thing of jumping on the spot. If ya land on the front of your foot it's a softer landing and the foot, ankle and leg will all move to absorb the landing. Try the same and land on your heel. It's a different ball game and the impact will run right up through ya.

Nevertheless, running on roads for many years will eventually give joints issues by just wearing them out

Advertisement