Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Keep away from running these days due to sore knees and ankles. 38 so I think weights, muscle work more important especially if ur not heavy, core work also to reduce back problems. This craic of lads carrying weight pounding down the road is not good for your joints. Try lifting a heavy bag and running...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Keep away from running these days due to sore knees and ankles. 38 so I think weights, muscle work more important especially if ur not heavy, core work also to reduce back problems. This craic of lads carrying weight pounding down the road is not good for your joints. Try lifting a heavy bag and running...

Eldest lad runs most days . Does road, track and grass running atm.one day off a week. Runs twice some days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,612 ✭✭✭✭Water John

An 11st man I know in his early forties, very active man has hip replacement and back surgery. This is not from road running but the exercise he needs these days is swimming and it isn't available to him ATM. So mind the body says the guy who's overweight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Grueller wrote: »
    That's a balls. You can't dry her now for a few days.
    I had planned on drying all of mine off on Tuesday but one got mastitis in a quarter last Friday so I milked them all on until this morning to get it fully clear. All dry cow tubed, sealed and milking machine switched off now til about the 15th of January.
    4 sucklers left to calve in that period only so I will be some lazy bo11ox now for 2 months.

When is your last one due to calve?

When is your last one due to calve?

He's probably having a lie on, now that his cows are dry:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭cjpm

He mentioned that he was going to go to bed early last night. Said he had to be up for 11 in the morning....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

whelan2 wrote: »

I was an hour into milking last night when I disappointingly looked out across the collecting yard to see another 4 rows still to be milked
    As good a sign as any to start drying off some!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

Only just up actually since 8.45.
    Last suckler to calve 1st of December.

I was an hour into milking last night when I disappointingly looked out across the collecting yard to see another 4 rows still to be milked
    As good a sign as any to start drying off some!

I hate when you think you're on the 9th row but it's only the 7th.

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Morris Moss

I hate when you think you're on the 9th row but it's only the 7th.

I'll never go above 8 rows again, we were at 12 in our old parlour and it was a pain in the hole, only at 6 rows in new one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

I'll never go above 8 rows again, we were at 12 in our old parlour and it was a pain in the hole, only at 6 rows in new one

Famous last words😉

Dried off a few recently. The most annoying ones, there's always another one to take their place :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

alps wrote: »
    Famous last words😉

Was at 14 in old one, back to 10 in current one next spring, if young stock are to go off the block will be looking at 12 or 13 anyway. Hopefully be able to do a full upgrade then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

https://twitter.com/ellamcsweeney/status/1327531992561364993?s=20

Should teagasc be a bit more transparent with it's funding...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

https://twitter.com/ellamcsweeney/status/1327531992561364993?s=20

Should teagasc be a bit more transparent with it's funding...

If u do a profit monitor etc tegasc just throw the figures around like confetti and at that they misuse and misrepresent them and farmers hence why so many just couldn’t be arsed I’d love a legal challenge to be taken against them on the basis there is a gdpr breach

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

Eldest lad runs most days . Does road, track and grass running atm.one day off a week. Runs twice some days.

Chaps getting closer and closer to me every day, his 3k last week was only 17sec of my last time lol. But great sport, good friendly competitive club environment, very rewarding to see the consistent steady effort pay off over time, easy to access, just throw on pair of runners and get out the door, great to clear the head. And you can largely eat ad lib and not care too much lol!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Always have a cow or two this time of the year cant milk out a quarter resulting in mastitis, do ye treat and dry off or keep treating. I'm spring milking

• Registered Users Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭cosatron

Always have a cow or two this time of the year cant milk out a quarter resulting in mastitis, do ye treat and dry off or keep treating. I'm spring milking

dry her off and she will sort herself out and put her out in a paddock if possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

I had one with mastitis last year as I was drying them. I tubed her with dry cow tube and dried her off. Kept an eye on her and she soaked up fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

A course of milking cow tubes, ones with a long milk withdrawl, then dry her off with drycow tubes and sealers and maybe a course of injections if the quarter is still swollen.

I've heard of lads putting in a milking cow tube into the quarter with the drycow tubes as well but I don't know how successful that it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

id try get quater sorted before drying off if possible, mastitis tubes and udder mint till drying off, then id put two dry cow tubes in bad quarter instead of one with sealer

custer remover can be a bit annying this time of year, can take custer off before cow finishes with low milk reading

id try get quater sorted before drying off if possible, mastitis tubes and udder mint till drying off, then id put two dry cow tubes in bad quarter instead of one with sealer

custer remover can be a bit annying this time of year, can take custer off before cow finishes with low milk reading

The more I hear about ACRs the more I don't want to install them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

straight wrote: »

I've never heard of that issue with acrs before, I would suggest getting your parlour repair man to adjust them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

repair man blames the cow:)
    couple have slightly stronger quarters, at this time of year i can have the odd cow not fully milking out
    if i change settings it will stay on other cows to long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

repair man blames the cow:)
    couple have slightly stronger quarters, at this time of year i can have the odd cow not fully milking out
    if i change settings it will stay on other cows to long

Can you override the ACRs on those few cows and come back to them when they're finished while doing the rest of the round?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Very few new parlours going in without. They’re a great job. You can override them with a very slow milker but if their that slow they aren’t worth milking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

Very few new parlours going in without. They’re a great job. You can override them with a very slow milker but if their that slow they aren’t worth milking

I'd go as far as to say they should be in every parlour - 14 units or over anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,033 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

nothing to fear with ACRs... nothing.

Very few parlours going in without jars either. Doesn't mean it's right though. I've 12 units here and I don't need ACRs. Besides the initial cost there is also a service cost to them. Also I need to be certain I get every last drop out of them and I don't mind waiting for the odd slow one. Feed to yield is next on my shopping list for parlour.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Very few parlours going in without jars either. Doesn't mean it's right though. I've 12 units here and I don't need ACRs. Besides the initial cost there is also a service cost to them. Also I need to be certain I get every last drop out of them and I don't mind waiting for the odd slow one. Feed to yield is next on my shopping list for parlour.

Most new parlours I’ve seen don’t have jars. I had them and went away from them. I know you don’t need but I think if different people are milking you know cows will be milked right.
    I always find slow cows only get slower

Advertisement