Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

straight wrote: »
    I don't know why anyone would milk 200 cows or more. It's hardly for the money. I can't see myself going over 100. Is there any of ye feeding beet to yer cows these days to get the last few weeks of milk out of them. Mine are gone down to 12 litres on 4 kg nuts and baled silage

Fodder beet will cost €233 and sugar beet €213 per tonne DM plus the cost of feeding out.

It's too close to the cost of ration to make the hassle worthwhile.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,050 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

mahoney_j wrote: »
    300 cows thru 24 unit is 12.5 rows not sustainable Long term .if heading for 300 I’d def go rotary shur the money is there tegasc keep telling everyone we’re loaded and making buckets of money !!!8/10 rows max in herringbone is loads cows standing too long otherwise

At 300 cows its at least a 2 man job, milking can be shared.
    One person goes and gets the cows and sets up next paddock or does some other jobs, that person comes in at row 8, finishes milking and washes up
    Rotary imo doesn't stack up unless you'll be at least milking 300

I intend pushing our parlour to 12 rows if it ever comes to it, it'll be 4 hours a day inc wash up i reckon
    If I had to spend money on a rotary if going over that many rows it would want to be a substantial increase in cow numbers for it to be worth it, and I don't know would i be interested in spending it either tbh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

K.G. wrote: »
    Is there awful lot of washing with a rotary, one thing with a herringbone is they are fast enough to wash.while we are on parlour talk,how fast are rapid exit parlours as you cant let a cow out until the last one is finished.these days i open the gate at cow 5 or 6 so sometimes i barely get spray the last of the cows and the next line are following them through

Seen powers video on his 50 bail and he had washtime at 25 mins with two people, used to milk in a 60 bail single man parlour and it was the guts of a hour washup between everything if you where on your own, defeats the whole purpose of a rotary if herdsize is at 300 our below and not going any bigger, as time wise when washing is taken into account the difference between a 50 bail rotary and 24 unit herringbone is negligible

I don't know why anyone would milk 200 cows or more. It's hardly for the money. I can't see myself going over 100. Is there any of ye feeding beet to yer cows these days to get the last few weeks of milk out of them. Mine are gone down to 12 litres on 4 kg nuts and baled silage

2 family's here, and all land us either leased or being paid for through mortgage aswell as farm development, for us we need to maximise cow numbers on what land we farm

Had maize here other years, none this year and getting on fine with out it. Feeding 78 dmd silage atm and 4kg 16% nut
    Cows doing 15l at 4.35p and 5.6 bf

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Panch18 wrote: »
    How many units parlour had he to double up??

New parlour, thought it was 20, but could be 24 now that you ask.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

I thought that was a very savi investment. I'm guessing about 160k vs over 500k.

Think he mentioned overall figure of circa 700 k

Think he mentioned overall figure of circa 700 k

There was a whole development in that ,cubicles and other stock housing.

I went rooting, its a 21 unit doubled up

https://twitter.com/billokeeffe/status/1277603068952162304?s=19

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

alps wrote: »
    Fodder beet will cost €233 and sugar beet €213 per tonne DM plus the cost of feeding out.

It's too close to the cost of ration to make the hassle worthwhile.

Best gives more energy in use than it does on paper. Still mightn't be worth the hassle but there's 5-10% to be gained compared to feeding same ufls of grain

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

Best gives more energy in use than it does on paper. Still mightn't be worth the hassle but there's 5-10% to be gained compared to feeding same ufls of grain

Gain is small when coming off 12litres

Could you expect the same bounce from including beet in the diet post calving? It would be a significant gain at that stage..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Is that due to greater overall dm intakes. Fed beet years ago, they go mad for it but a lot of work if you have to go washing and chopping, along with making sure wildlife cant get at the storage area

• Advertisement

Bought in 13 tonne of beet washed ,chopped mixed with hulls and delievered for 55 euros a tonne absoutely savage feeding feeding 5 kg with baled silage 3 kg 16% in parlour full herd (bar 3 tb reactors)still milking .18.9 Ltrs 5.04 fat 4.04 hulls in @225 tonne

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

alps wrote: »
    Gain is small when coming off 12litres

Could you expect the same bounce from including beet in the diet post calving? It would be a significant gain at that stage..

Ye would be perfect for spring. Boosts DM intake as well as giving that extra bit of kick that I assume is just down to the mix of very digestible fibres/sugars and high moisture making access easier for rumen microbes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

Bought in 13 tonne of beet washed ,chopped mixed with hulls and delievered for 55 euros a tonne absoutely savage feeding feeding 5 kg with baled silage 3 kg 16% in parlour full herd (bar 3 tb reactors)still milking .18.9 Ltrs 5.04 fat 4.04 hulls in @225 tonne

Do they just tip that in the yard and cover it with plastic or what. When does it expire

Do they just tip that in the yard and cover it with plastic or what. When does it expire

Tipped up against wall tapped with bucket covered with salt plastic and few tyres over it it’ll be gone in another 10 days

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

At 300 cows its at least a 2 man job, milking can be shared.
    One person goes and gets the cows and sets up next paddock or does some other jobs, that person comes in at row 8, finishes milking and washes up
    Rotary imo doesn't stack up unless you'll be at least milking 300

I intend pushing our parlour to 12 rows if it ever comes to it, it'll be 4 hours a day inc wash up i reckon
    If I had to spend money on a rotary if going over that many rows it would want to be a substantial increase in cow numbers for it to be worth it, and I don't know would i be interested in spending it either tbh

The key to rotary seems to be the labour saved when milking. 300 cows would be a 2 man herd but the milking process could be done by one. The larger the herd the labour savings alone would cover the cost of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Does anyone consider that a rotary is worthless from the moment it’s fitted?

I’m going to see a farm tomorrow where they fitted a rotary in 2010. In 2015 I was offered the farm at a price and I didn’t even go and view it, I told them I would be interested if they dropped the price by 66%...an auctioneer called Monday and said they’re ready to deal. (They’ve obviously exhausted every option in the last 5yrs).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I’m going to see a farm tomorrow where they fitted a rotary in 2010. In 2015 I was offered the farm at a price and I didn’t even go and view it, I told them I would be interested if they dropped the price by 66%...an auctioneer called Monday and said they’re ready to deal. (They’ve obviously exhausted every option in the last 5yrs).

I’ve never heard of one been moved that’s for sure.

When it’s in it’s in and unlike hb u can’t tag on extra units

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

I’ve never heard of one been moved that’s for sure.

I’m told it’s possible but very expensive.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

My man was telling me what you done with the beet J, was thinking of trying it myself. Did it store well?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,227 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Most parlours are nearly that way.a 40 k parlour is not worth 10k after 10 years.the value is in the labour of installing it.its a bit like high hp tractors ,much smaller market as contractors would prefer repayments on new verus down time so less customers. 300 +cow farmers dont really do second hand.

kevthegaff wrote: »
    My man was telling me what you done with the beet J, was thinking of trying it myself. Did it store well?

Yep stored well once covered in salt and covered keep the poison down for the little fat long tailed rodents tho

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

We'll have AAs and Hereford sucklers back in milking parlours all over the country lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 376 ✭✭Gman1987

290kg is only 3.26 cows per HA. I wonder is that figure quoted an average across the full year? i.e. no cows on grazing platfrom from circa. mid November to February therefore can you stock higher than 290kg on the other months?

Gman1987 wrote: »
    290kg is only 3.26 cows per HA. I wonder is that figure quoted an average across the full year? i.e. no cows on grazing platfrom from circa. mid November to February therefore can you stock higher than 290kg on the other months?

It would be calculated what stock is in the herd from 1/1 to 31/12 i imagine

What will count as the mp. There's the obvious land around the parlour. But will it include land across the road, land 100m down the road, land 1/2 mile down the road, land 2 miles down the road, land outside the ditch but its a 2 mile walk down the road to get to it. What if the cow housing is not on mp. 4 months housing would mean a 33% increase in allowance.

What will count as the mp. There's the obvious land around the parlour. But will it include land across the road, land 100m down the road, land 1/2 mile down the road, land 2 miles down the road, land outside the ditch but its a 2 mile walk down the road to get to it. What if the cow housing is not on mp. 4 months housing would mean a 33% increase in allowance.

Anywhere the cows walk to I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Anywhere the cows walk to I'd imagine.

I can’t see the dept go down this route . A farmer could have land a mile down the road and all he’d have to do is walk two cows down there once a year. Also what about the indoor systems

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭Grueller

Teagasc selling a pup again the thick fcukers. The one farming system that can provide a living for a family on relatively small acreage and they are looking to destroy that too. I think that the farm organisations should recommend that we all use private planners. Starve them at source.

Advertisement