Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

but but but the cows were out and in a weeks time it won’t look as bad 😉😉

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

The BER isn't something that would bother me too much,I'd be looking at the house itself more. It depends on the way one lives too I suppose, doors and windows are often open here.

Some results are very questionable too, whether that's the system or the assessor or a combination I don't know.

I certainly wouldn't touch an old house that was packed and sealed up with plastic to get a good BER.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

If you can't handle the going lad, just leave them in the shed. Some folk just havent got the stomach for the harder years, don't feel bad about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

We're just looking out for a low maintenance house as a step down before the nursing home, you never know what's around the corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭green daries

Andddddd this is why we're fighting a loosing battle with our derogation.

• Advertisement

The point is simple GD (and not directed and you in particular).

If you don't like grazing in the wet, make 10 tonne of good silage and have 10cu metres of slurry storage per cow in the yard. Pay for them yourself, no grants no handouts.

Then maybe STFU about lads who want to try a bit of grazing.

Stfu you clown I've all that done and paid for thanks very much 🙄 if you've good ground and able to graze good lad yourself everyone everywhere is under pressure because its a country wide problem this year and everyone's normal is affected 🙄 nobody should be condoning the **** acting that has gone on over the years not just this year. I was compliant always within the rules of storage etc even while expanding. If you can't have enough facilities and feed on farm then you've not got a viable business.......its why we're going to loose our derogation have a lovely evening.

Hold on now, read again what I posted which wasn't directed at you in particular. I think we are in full agreement on the silage and storage so less of the clown craic please. The point is we should have all in place, but also stop making little of other lads efforts to put grass in front of their stock.

Fair fukn play to any man trying these days I say. Bullshyte like that video from last October isn't helpful and is not representing what limited successes people are managing in the conditions.

Fellas who are up the walls with disappearing silage and tight cash could dig themselves out of a hole by getting a few grazings in as best they could, but they wouldnt get much support on here by the looks of it. Fortune favours the brave at the minute.

Its no picnic on my soil type either let me tell you, but I don't believe there's any point in complaining about that.

Fair enough on that first bit but why don't lads have facilities in place and for God's sake nearly every single is poor (its to wet or to cold or to dry and cold .....you get the jist ). There should be extra silage on farm for a minimum of two months over the average feeding done yearly on farm Including for rain and for droughts.......not for the best case scenario.. obviously there's exceptional circumstances. But they shouldn't occur every other year.

I agree 100%

But I see some farms with lots of silage in reserve and good sheds, still pushing to get grazings done. Its not out of desperation for them, it's planned and controlled.

• Advertisement

Grand and great and fair play to them once they are not ploughing. But that's a tiny percentage of the herds in the country....at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 18,552 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

We have gone through a sh!t 10 months. However that's farming. We are on an expansion phase here at present. Gone from 60 ish to 110. Aim to hang 60 ish this year and 100+ next year. Ya we had a decent silage reserve but we had to be aggressive on turnout.

Talking to a lad this evening complaining about a couple of yearlings he bought he out that damaging ground around a meal trough.

The ability to adapt is what counts.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭cute geoge

• Registered Users Posts: 6,677 ✭✭✭jaymla627

neighbour that would be farming ground beside our wet moory paddocks has had everything housed since the 27th of September, we are able to graze 60% of the block here no issues, but that 40% is a no go, if the neighbour tried to graze at the minute the video put up would be harmless compared to what damage he'd do…..

Rambling about been brave and its just a mindset issue ffs, you can't just apply your own farms land type and practices wholesale to all farmers

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Kerry2021

very well said. I remember it was the August bank holiday back in 2019. We actually needed a bit of rain at the time as things had gotten so dry. We had the cows in one of our driest paddocks grazing that night, they were well into it so they weren’t all packed into a small corner of a paddock.

Anyway whatever rain we got that night was brutal, we went from being in a bit of a drought to the cows absolutely ploughing that paddock and we weren’t able to graze it again until the following April or May and it still wasn’t right then

a lot of people on here don’t grasp what bad land is and how bad it can be 😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 29,515 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

And rub salt into the wound by insinuating that lads aren't letting their cows out when in fact we cant. I remember many years ago before quotas went we were at a dg meeting in teagasc. Write down your available acres. Blah blah blah, this is how many cows you can aim for on that. Mine was 300. I said what if it rains. The advisor just said good point. You know your own land and how to work it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,196 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

well able for the going don’t worry ….in second round …moved slurry when I could since opening of season despite so called best advice ….got great response from it ….cows been in/out since 20 January …refuse to graze at all costs if it’s too wet they stay in ….and I have a decent surplus in yard of quality grub

You’d want some stomach to listen to the advice from so called dairy experts and advisory bodies these times ….they know grass and nothing else doing avoidable damage in spring has to be avoided for animal welfare and for soil and grass protection for remainder of year same auld shite turfed out every year surplus feed in yard 12 months of year isn’t a luxury it’s a nesecity now …..the one track one dimensional advice based on a flawed kiwi style system has us where we are with water quality and derogation ….load on the cows and worry about storage ,sheds etc etc later was the mantra …all the extra bull calves …oops forgot about them too you could go on and on ….but hey damage is done now ….root and branch change re advice is needed now in this country with climate change a reality .weather extremes and nitrates /dero changes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭cosatron

The boss man said to me this morning, we won't have to worry about the quota with this weather.

Them work trousers out of Lidl they are great value good of you to spot, was going to buy the khaki blue but taught they were a bit loud.

Not much get passed a Kerryman as a lad local to me said. You be talking George but you be saying nothing at the same time.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭divillybit

I'm not on Facebook so can't share the video but the girlfriend showed me a video on the Facebook Irish farmers discussion group where the cow calved and then try to maul her own calf. The farmer did well to save the calf but lucky he had a good set up there as it looked was going for the calf moreso than the farmer. Don't know if the calf survived but twas unsettling to see how quick the cow just turned on the calf.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭straight

All in a days work as they say. Cow wasn't interested in the farmer.

https://www.instagram.com/reel/C5dHBzOIZQG/?igsh=NHM1bGJiZWZlYms=

• Registered Users Posts: 13,826 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I drove through Ballinspittle, West Cork today, grass every where, cows not every where, but a great day of drying.

I stopped at the famous grotto and prayed for peace in our time, in the Boards Dairy thread and if not, in Ukraine.

Post edited by Danzy on

This time she was not. He should be sending her to the factory. If he went down she might have done him as well.

Slava Ukrainii

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,784 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

He did well. Very quick reactions.

“Fear gives you false strength”, as my grand-uncle used to say

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I was out that way myself today and I couldn’t believe how well some of the winter barley was growing. Weather doesn’t look as bad this week so hopefully we’ve turned a corner.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,265 ✭✭✭✭Base price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Calf is alive at the end of the video at least.

Good example of not positioning yourself between mother and calf, even for a few seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭older by the day

It's proof, it's a young man's game. I don't know many with that speed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,800 ✭✭✭straight

Ya, heifers can have that reaction alright. They usually settle after a minute. Probably better if he didn't pull the calf away.

It's just a typical example of what farmers do to try everything they can to help their animals and then certain people call them worthless, byproducts, culls, etc.

Advertisement