Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭ginger22

Well in fairness I think you are putting the blame on the Co Op, but to do a deal you need good will on both sides and we all know there is no honour on the PLC side. They would skin you for penny. How could you do a deal with a crowd who bluffed the last time that they had another willing buyer lined up. Where did that buyer go. The arrogance is something else. In their last newsletter they stated categorically that the .9 cent top up was fully honouring their leading price commitment, when anybody who can do basic maths knows it falls short and then there is the latest trick of setting a "base price" well below market and a 2 cent "milk contract payment". Well for March milk it leaves them as the worst paying milk purchaser in the country. The sooner some outside buyer comes in the better.

And as for the Coop's legal fees shure it isn't any of your money they are spending. Didn't you say you sold you shares.

News just in. "The Munster Dairy Producer Organisation" has been recognised by the Department of Agriculture as a producer organisation.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭cap.in.hand.

That's 1 less job for Kerry coop board to say they are there to represent the Kerry dairy producers.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Kerry2021

the part I blame the co-op for is that they’re engaging in any negotiations. They’d know as much about running a 1 billion litre dairy processing business as a pig would know about a holiday. Literally.

Yes I did sell my own shares but being entirely honest about it that was only me de-risking my investment portfolio taking into consideration what I still have to lose if it all went belly up even though I personally don’t own any of their shares anymore

I’d know of a lot of guys in that group and they’re genuinely lovely people and I hope they make a fortune with it but it’s just plain silly in my honest opinion. So far I don’t know 1 person that would consider joining them in 100 million years. They’ve the bare minimum in it so far and they’re scattered hours away from each other and some of them are OAP’s, could easily not be in milk in 1 month if they tripped walking across the yard. I think if they genuinely do want to leave kerry then they should just move to another co-op altogether instead of trying to find somewhere for their milk on a monthly basis

• Registered Users Posts: 3,990 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

you didn’t plough straight after the slurry was spread ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,194 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

6 k gallons per acre on my 2 fields today …plan to plough Monday and all going well sow Tuesday/Wednesday …be messy putting that amount slurry out and ploughing behind after all rain last few months

ploughed ours in today. It got 4500g/ac yesterday and Friday. Wanted to reduce N loss as much as possibly

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭stanflt

• Registered Users Posts: 6,676 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I wouldnt like to be a cow on this head the balls farm, a large swath of the current ideology of teagasc/farmers journal was thought up by this women in the early years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,310 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Under plastic I presume?

Ground is in much better order here but soil temps are only 9.5*C so we’ll wait until 12-13*C.
    Any phosphate going down beside the seed?

• Advertisement

From my experience of growing maize under plastic it is best to wait until May to plant, I think is is especially important to avoid any late frost with the new plastic, it melts away after a few weeks.

While Kerry CoOp may not be perfect the reality is without them you would not have got your milk price top ups, you would not want to be depending on our farm organisations to get it for you. It was the CoOp that introduced the share redemption scheme that gave you the capital to buy your investment properties. It is not the CoOp that is responsible for the PLC share price tanking, that is soley down to the management of Kerry Group, if the way they treat all their suppliers not only farmers is anything to go by I would imagine they treat their customers with contempt also, that debacle in US with the salmonela is good example.

Then you knock the "producer group" even before they get up and running, a bunch of genuine farmers who don't want to be beholden to Kerry Agribusiness any more. How do you think Kerry would treat you with nobody to fight your corner.

Don’t underestimate the importance of P.

P in the soil, no matter how high the index, doesn’t really become available until soil temps hit 15*C, so a little P is vital, especially for forage maize.

I thoroughly agree about waiting until conditions are right. Maize needs to motor from the instant it hits the ground. Any slight setback has a huge effect on yield.

Have you tried 5-10kg/ha humates mixed in with some soluble P, and placed beside the seed?
    Best maize we have, without fail, has the humate/P mix around the seed. Definitely worth doing.

Would if I could but the Samco machine doesn't have fertilizer box. Tried coating the seed with humates last year but the fan in the seeder blew most of it away.

He probably has a microdoser to apply insecticide for wireworm. The microdoser can put out about 12-15kg/ha of a soluble P and humate mix. Try it, you’ll be glad you did.
    You can buy a highly soluble type of Phosphate in powder form. Yes it’s very expensive but at 5-7kg/ha it’s not a big spend.

You think I should thank the co-op for the share redemption scheme? April fools day is the 1st, not the 21st haha!

The see though value of my shares on the day I sold them was over €700 - FACT

If I was to use the scheme the co-op brought in to get the full value of the shares I would have to pay 58% income tax, prsi, usc - FACT

It was mostly wealthy retired accountants, solicitors etc etc that were able to hoover up shares on the grey market at a knock down price and clean up at the expense of young dairy farmers like me - FACT

I had to sell my shares for €570 instead of their proper value of over €700 costing me €120,000 all down to the fact the Co-op wouldn’t bring in a scheme where we could access the full value of our shares - FACT

You know the reason there’s all this fighting over the milk price top up’s? Because the co-op board failed to get us a proper contract on the first day. None of them knew if it was the leading milk price or a leading milk price. Absolute playground stuff - FACT, FACT & FACT

editing to point out that the co-op chairman at the time of the redemption scheme was literally blue in the face from explaining to people at public meetings that he only brought in the scheme due to “pressure from shareholders” and I personally put on as much pressure as anyone else and the chairman made it crystal clear he only brought in the scheme against his will due to this pressure

Post edited by Kerry2021 on

Yes indeed we all heard you at CoOp shareholders meetings.

I’d say you’d go in to cardiac arrest if you knew what goes down with maize seed here 😁

I’ve grown it last few years from 20 April on and had bumper crops ….under new plastic last 2 years and we’ll worth cost

sowed ours last year under the new plastic on the 1st of may and had it off on 25th September. Was a super crop.

i can’t see it being any earlier this year, contractor won’t be at it till he has the barley all sown for his customers. Hoping to get grass seeds in after this years crop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭Jack98

80% of something is better than 100% of nothing, at the end of the day there is farmers up and down the country who would kill to have shares in their co ops worth a tenth of what you got when you sold. For all Kerry groups flaws there’s a lot to be thankful for, not many young farmers are able to sell co op shares for nearly 3 quarters of a million and go buying property or reinvest in their farms.

At the end of the day the farmer in Waterford or Tipperary etc worked just as hard as the Kerry farmer but got no wealth accumulation the likes the Kerry supplier gained through the work of the plc.

agree with you 100%

I felt though that we the shareholders were treated by the co op board as if we’d all won our shares in a raffle. Me and my family bought the vast majority of our shares. Money that was hard earned and I felt entitled to every penny I had invested in the co-op.

I do definitely agree with what you’ve said though

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

JJust an outside observation. All this seems to be really about is getting the plc to knock down the value of the processing .its a little bit of a gamble and could back fire but personally I would think the producer group will be the cannon fodder in this battle

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Is that 30 ton of dung and 6000 gls of slurry to each acre?

I think the guys that set up the producer group have no notion of leaving kerry. A few of them are former directors etc that fell out with the board. A former chairman who sold out all his cows a few years and rented out his farm happens to go to all their meetings and encourages them all along. I was asked to come along a few times to the meetings so they must be fairly hard up for people to make up the numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭older by the day

WTF. YOU GOT 3/4 OF A MILLION IN SHARES, and you're bitching. Get out in the sunshine for feck sake

• Registered Users Posts: 4,509 ✭✭✭stanflt

silage

Clearly you’ve no idea what you’re talking about.

I bought shares in 2012 - I didn’t find them on the street, win them in a scratch card or inherit them. I bought them with my money just like how you could have.

By 2021 they were worth €700,000. I took a risk buying them and that risk paid off. Because of the actions of Kerry Co Op’s board of directors I had to sell my shares for €510,000 in 2021 and a few weeks later the wealthy professionals that bought them were able to cash them in a tax free profit of €200,000.

If you see nothing wrong with any of that then I’m lost for words

I am puzzled as to what actions Kerry CoOp board took that meant you had to sell your shares. Now don't get me wrong you were wise to sell them but I don't see how you were compelled.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭older by the day

You are correct im completely clueless. I have nothing to do with kerry. Who made you sell your shares? Who bought them?

You sound a bit like the lad who won the lottery, going around complaining that the jackpot was higher last weekend.

So please start at the start, how much a share in 2012, what did they sell at, why did you sell

Advertisement