Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,767 ✭✭✭older by the day

Jay's I've a hard job to keep a bit of grass to feed the cows this year, not to mind, cutting a few trailers of grass to try and heat the house for the wife. Il stick with the turf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

😁

I was thinking more of a low output shite based process. I'd burn more diesel trying to gather enough grass these times than I'd produce in gas.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,782 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

There was an item on the 6-1 news yesterday evening about AD plants. Not a single iota of it stands up to any scrutiny.

In 2022 the talk was of 130 plants nationwide. Yesterday's report mentioned 200 plants. These lads are making it up as they go along.

It reminds me of the new engineering block that was going to be built in WIT years ago. Bertie came and turned the sod twice, then Brian Cowan turned the sod a few years later for another announcement and photo op.

But it's still an abandoned piece of ground with old security railings around it today.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭cjpm

I’ll take your WIT Eng Block and I’ll raise you Corks “Non Event” Centre 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

The AD plants are a good idea. They are proven to work, are deployed across Europe and the UK in vast numbers. There is loads of expertise available to guide their deployment across the country. Therefore, it's a foregone conclusion that we'll make an absolute shite of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭green daries

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣I'm laughing out loud to myself at that 😅

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Jack98

€2,825,000 for the yard and 97.5 acres in kilcolman in the auction just there, crazy crazy money. The 4 lots in total made €4,150,000.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That's a place with an AD plant and farm next door?

That’s the one, apparently they had no interest we’ll soon find out if that was the truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

were 4 lots sold separate?? i watched Lot 1 that made 2825000… switched off after that

• Advertisement

Looks like they were sold seperate I just looked it up on LSL didn’t watch the auction.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,548 ✭✭✭roosterman71

Did @Kerry2021 buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Kerry2021

It was a fine bit of land and best of luck to whoever bought it but I’m my personal opinion it was no more worth €30,000/acre than it was worth €100,000/acre. Even if a guy had won the lotto and had money to throw away it would of been hard to justify that money for it

I wonder would it have been bought with money from the Adare road bypass? I’ve no idea if any money has even been paid out for that yet but it would make sense. If you don’t spend the money on land within a certain time frame you’re to give it away in tax so a person may as well just overpay for a farm coz the alternative is give it away to the taxman

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

I disagree about the tax man. AFAIK unless the land you buy is nearer to you ( farm consolidation) you pay the tax. If you are over 55 you can use business retirement relief of up to 750k or more if in joint names.

As well about 30-50% of what you get from a CPO is for costs and losses other than land value. These may not be allowable against a land purchase.

When you allow 7.5% for stamp duty, add in solicitor fees etc capital gain @33% is probably preferable than over paying for land.

AFAIK only first offered have been sent out and these are usually substantially lower than settlement offers which are usually 12-18 months from the notice to treat which was last autumn.

There us a few wind turbines up around that general area. They may have more of an impact.

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,811 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

That would make sense, but when did the price of land ever do that ?

If you were paying anything like that kind of money for land, it would want to be in a parish with a good senior hurling team.

Yes from the look of the auction they were sold seperate. Really surprices that the 27 acres and the 52 acres went for even money especially the 52 acres. Two bidder seemed to have pushed it on from the look of the video and then the lad that had it going on to the market gave up when he was counter bid on the market.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭ginger22

Well it had a grand old house and courtyard with stables. The horsey set might have been after it also. But then again it was only 90 acres. Hardly a stand alone viable commercial farm going forward.

can anyone tell me what the 3 smaller lots made just for my own curiosity 🙂

my guess from the way ye are talking is the 27 acres & 12 acres lots both @ €20,000/acre and the 52 acres at €10k?

The 12 made 225k. Probably some one that wants to build a house on it about 19/acre. The 27 made 500k which I taught was tge most expensive lot for what it was. 18.5k/acre. The 52 made 600k, 11.5k/acre not too bad considering all the roads money that will be around there.

Ya I taught the house was a fabulous piece of property with potential. Maybe horsey however when you consider you are only 10 about minutes from Foynes and the new road. It within a village bounds AFAICS from land direct. Maybe a builder/developer with longterm vision. By 2030 the new road will he complete. Foynes has the ability to become a marquee satellite town off Limerick similar to Adare and Castleconnell.

If he wanted the house yard and 30-50 acres for himself he turn a few bob on the rest if he got planning for 50-100 houses on part of it.

The 52 acres was value IMO if you could afford it. There is a derelict house on it and a nice bit of road frontage.

WWatching Tom's body language he expected the 27 acres to sell well so I suspect that there was two bidders with money involved

Slava Ukrainii

Ya I think as well myself that the 52 acres at €600,000 is very good value. A huge amount of road frontage. It looks like great land from the photos. As you mentioned there’s a derelict house on it and sure if they sold that off with an acre wouldn’t it probably make €100,000 no bother. We’ve a place not far from there for the heifers, it’s much the same size and what we have would only be worth half what that farm is after making in my honest opinion

• Advertisement

I don’t see the whole road money angle, are most affected by it not in the adare area the best part of a half hour away. As for satellite town all the villages that have exploded in the last 20 years in limerick are 15 mins from the city.

The most likely buyer of the yard and house would be a businessperson with an interest in farming and possibly an eye at doing the house up for events etc and of course inter generational wealth transfer.

They’ll get the best part of 30k to rent out the farm before they do anything with the house every year.

I was in ag college with a guy from down that way he was saying before it was sold that 50 acre lot was heavy and wouldn’t make near what the rest would go for.

ThE Adare bypass is not not the Adare bypass. Its actually the Limerick Foynes Road. The pieces of that farm that are between Ardagh and Shannagolden are not 5-7 minutes from that roadway. When the Limerick Foynes road opens Foynes will only ve 20 minutes from the Raheen industrial estate.

Kilcolman will be about 7_10 minutes from the Foynes or Askeaton Junction at a guess and about 12-15 minutes from the Rathkeale Junction.

All the hinterlands off that new road will become more valuable especially within village bounds.

Slava Ukrainii

I hadn’t realised that thought they were just fast tracking the adare bypass section for now, looked up the plans for it there would be a lot of farmers between foynes and rathkeale getting road money so.

The NRA are fencing off the complete road at present AFAIK. Yes the Adare part is fast tracked as in it will be tendered and completed for the 2027 Ryder cup. However the complete road will be do e by 2028/29 is my understanding. All the land required has been served Notice to Treat. NtT has to be served with 12 months of planning being approved which happened for the complete road last autumn.

My understanding is that first offers went out over a months ago. With the age profile of farmers and the 750k retirement allowance as well as the fact unless it consolidation you have to pay the gains tax I think the effect on land prices is not as great as many imagine.

However the development potential within these hinterlands will be significant.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,274 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

https://www.thenationalnews.com/business/technology/2022/01/12/how-vr-goggles-sooth-cows-and-help-a-turkish-farmer-produce-more-milk/#:~:text=The%20use%20of%20VR%20goggles,of%20the%20milk%20they%20produce.

must get these added to TMAS:) the indoor cow can be fooled into thinking shes outside on grass, could we fool the irish cow into thinking its sunny all the time, and never rains

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Should be a paid advertisement by Irish co-ops at the end of this scutter wrote by aidan,

If they slow roll the increases and give token rises over the next 3 months, they'll be making a noose for their own necks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

he’s in the coops pocket now as well 🙄🙄with the way futures are and current market returns a base price of at least 43/44 before any of the other bs top ups support payments etc are added ….they could drop prices 5/6 cent in one go as suppliers and shareholders we should fully expect price rises of similar now

You could expect a base price of 43/44 by August maybe when the non existent peak supply for this year has passed. You’ll get the exact spiel from co ops as brennan has there everything was forward sold months out, not much forecasted demand, no one’s buying they all stocked up ages ago etc.

In reality co ops are probably thinking even if 5-10% of suppliers left at the end of the year that if we returned to some bit of weather normality next year and yields creep up again they’ll be no worse off milk pool wise. It would take a huge drop in milk supply for them to shake things up and then with increased processing costs I doubt the farmer will be any better off financially in the milk statement.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 175 ✭✭Freejin

Wouldn't it be great to know a couple of months in advance what milk price would be.......a fella might give an extra pull of meal in the parlour if it was worthwhile

Advertisement