Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Kerry2021

Your best bet is tell the people in it you need the house back because a family member is moving in, I know an auctioneer who would then rent it out for you without advertising it. So you’d get the proper rent for it then at least

• Registered Users Posts: 2,968 ✭✭✭yosemitesam1

It does read as if he started with a few hundred k of cash. Was hoping for a good story of how he used is communion money to get started in business and built it from there...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭green daries

He is and a bit more with it............. ginge that's a snide remark ........just for future reference. 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 6,675 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Theirs a theme on here in fairness, theirs multiple income sources outside of the milk cheque, be it a partner on good wages/other businesses/share windfalls/parents providing financial backing at the start/the big one was a historically high sfp…

Cold financial analysis on a stand-alone dairy business no outside capital/(free labour) etc, of course it dosent stack-up present day, id love to do a forensic analysis of the "top lads" accounts just to cut through the bulls**t and costs been left off etc for various reason the business dosent have to pay as a actual cash cost etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭ginger22

What is really ridiculous is lads renting fields miles away, hauling silage home or worse still zero grazing, hauling slurry back, building sheds and slatted tanks based on that. No better way to burn capital. At least the lad leasing the farm with facilities can walk away at the end of the lease and cash in his cows. That is how they do it in New Zealand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Add to that starting with a substantial land base and decent infrastructure.going back to our guy paying the 80 k in rent.he probaly has the use of 4 million for 80 k,that's around 2%.nowadays that's cheap.just to add he is also making use of his one big advantage that he has,he has nothing to lose

Post edited by K.G. on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,987 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Leased a block of land over the road this spring, bought a zero grazer, started digging for a slatted tank last week. Doing it all wrong. Uh oh

• Registered Users Posts: 11,482 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

There's something else that's not been thought of.

We've a government that is intent to reduce stock numbers through indirect action.

So the guys having the extra stock and leasing land and zero grazing, building tanks and sheds. Will have these tanks paid for. When? indirectly the dept of ag indirectly call for a mandatory slurry storage of the entire housing period. They can now drop the extra stock for when this happens years down the line. And now they've the tanks bought and paid for at the lessor carbon tax price of concrete than it will be in future.

The guys not doing the work will find it unviable to do the tanks then. Not to mind any guys renting sheds, facilities.

The first will be in business with the facilities already in place. Second may consider quitting if the numbers don't agree.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,183 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Ya I'd love to see that too ....but that is one thing that's never going to happen. There's too many people pulling off the cows tit's .....I think at this stage there's so many of them that the farmer has been shoved off the hind tit 😳 🙄 🤔 😬 🤣

Have we not got enough of new Zealand practices by now .......... 🙄

For sure, current intrest rates really are the elephant in the room, couple that with building costs, anyone getting into dairying if they could rent the above and even rent their own place out instead of trying to build a dairy unit on it would in the short term at least be alot better off

• Registered Users Posts: 11,190 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

fair play and not having a dog in anyway …but you e a wife with a good job and you have your dad also on farm ….renting land and buying equipment is something most farmers do …you’ve your reasons and that’s fine but the zerograzer is adding more time and cost to your day …..bi issue on farms is farmers putting a cost on there own time ….I thought about it here…not a fan of z grazers and bumping up sr because of the extra cost and time it will entail plus others ….so many farmers are now running like blue arse flys chasing there arse for little in return ….I’ve family and in laws that are civil servants and have Monday to Friday jobs and they’d sicken you sometime …but sometimes you’d be jealous …they down tools Friday evening and do what they want for weekend …paid holidays …sick days …bereavement days etc etc

I've a bunch of them in the families and the outlaws as well and friday is optional as far as u see 👀..... but I do have to admit that. I would be a tad jealous occasionally. But then again this is what I choose to do and I enjoy it most of the time...... I do ........ I really do. .......honestly 😁😁😁😁

been honest wouldn’t be for me either …..and likewise most of time I love what I do ….I worked for 10 years off farm before I took over great experience great money and perks but not something I could see myself doing for 30/40 years

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Jack98

Most of those jobs are unfulfilling and are only a means to an end. I’m in a multinational working 2 days a week I’m office other 3 at home, good salary, bonus, stock options, health insurance for me and my girlfriend and good pension. Not killed with work in any way hardest thing some times is counting down the time until 5pm. The perks of civil service and multinational jobs are great but work isn’t fulfilling, my favourite part of the day is before or after work Monday to Friday and it’s handy get a few bits done during the day when working from home too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A lot of people underestimate the cost of infrastructure, land fertility and labour. I put in a water system.inntge new place it for beef so not too complex, but it required 1.65KM of inch pipe, 13 water troughs( I only bought 75 gallons) fittings, contractors to lay pipe and solar pump. It will cost nearly 9k after grants and vat drawn back or 180/ acre. Getting hedges sorted before fencing about 3k

Farm roadway 400M and a bit of work to access passage probably 8-10k. Fencing ( net of grant and vat) probably 8-9K, a lot of own labour involved. There is also a bit of work on a land bridge accross a marshy area probably 2k.

Land fertility and ph is on the poor side lime alone is about 70-80/ acre with another 50/ acre in 3 years time. Actually the lime requirements are gone crazy on soil tests will test again in spring 2026. P&K will probably cost 200/ acre to get right over and above normal fertlizer costs.

Over all nearly hitting 1k/ acre. Only advantage is its all tax deductible. Looking at the lad paying 80k/ year it probably not off the wall as long as he has no infrastructure expense. I do not agree with giving back farm payments but that the bed dairy farmers decided to made for themselves.

If he can manage to manage that farm with contractors and one labour unit he will make a few bob. He need one good year in every five to balance out the bad one. After paying the rent he is probably looking at 350k on average milk sales on a five year average along with calf and cull sales.

L

Post edited by Bass Reeves on

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭ginger22

Hard to understand the things some lads do. In todays Farming Indo there is a lad reporting on his dairy farm activities. He states he cut 5 bales an acre of his red clover silage fields and he got 8 bales an acre off his grass silage fields, yet he is already ploughing up his grass silage field to sow red clover. The mind boggles.

• Advertisement

Is the one labour unit plus himself our is he the labour unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,142 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

A lot of young non farmers are inheriting a lot of money and farms from un married relatives and those with no families. There's a lot of wealth to pass on in any farm, some people are going to be very rich……. as long as they don't try to farm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,792 ✭✭✭straight

I just knew you were going to take that comment personally.

wife has a good job but we’ve the loans to go with all MJ. Pushing hard now while I’m young and have a viable business with infrastructure to leave to the next generation if they want it. If they don’t want it, someone else will

If I don’t put the infrastructure in its game over 10 years down the line as far as I’m concerned. If you don’t keep up it’s going to be too costly to catch up and that’s why a lot of ppl are leaving or are going to leave dairying in the future

I’m happy with the zero graze so far. Saved our ass big time this year

He's about 4 labour units for the price of one. A horse of a man if you like. The industry are delighted to have people like him.

I would agree though that he isn't doing the worst thing in the world but it's high risk/low return. Definitely better than what some heroes are at around the place.

If he loves what he's doing that's fine but sometimes there is family life and other things to consider too.

Most places you buy are generally fairly run down alright. The place I bought was wired and watered. Just to fix a few bits up. Fertility is bad alright. Could be all reseeded but I'm not too bothered about that. Taking dung there now after the silage is in.

I did a water system here a few years ago and I have about 15 or more plastic 90 gallon water troughs left over. I was keeping them for a place I'd buy but I only used 3 after. I might sell them because they could be rotten before I purchase my next bit of land 😜

• Registered Users Posts: 18,545 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

A labour unit with himself. The question is would he be as well off maxing at 120 higĥ yielding cows, adding value to drystock and not having the labour unit. Drop in milk turnover might be only 20-30k. Added value to drystock abd/or rearing own heifers woukd more than make up the difference IMO. Part time labour for milkings ( which he might need anyway) and bit of help for 6 weeks in the spring time

Slava Ukrainii

Ah will ye stop, I don’t take anything personally. I’ve been on this forum with years. Got lots of great advice off it over the years but at the end of the day I still do what suits me. If I worried what everyone thought about what I was doing I’d be doing nothing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,999 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

There isn't a hope in hell that this man will switch to high yielding cows... absolutely NO chance... he is Teagasc Teagasc Teagasc.. his brother is one of the Signpost farmers... he will be in the lowest nitrate banding category

• Advertisement

agree on above ….the z grazer on other hand well leave it off😀😀 ….I’ve just watched my neighbour go with his third load of grass already and he’ll be hauling slurry in afternoon that’s enough to put me off ….maize silage in for Milker’s for this evening …took me 20 minutes

Advertisement