Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,508 ✭✭✭stanflt

• Registered Users Posts: 1,719 ✭✭✭ginger22

Was insured here with AXA but had a claim last year with a jeep. Supposed 18000 pay out but in reality only cost them 13000 because the salvage value was 5000. Anyway they jacked up the quote this year from just over 6000 to 9600. My broker got a quote from Zurich for 6700. Jeep, 9 tractors 3 loaders, mowers, harvester, house and sheds, liability. Payment up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,961 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

our Zurich quote increased aswell and no claims

Looked up house insurance online

Went to AIB website who believe it or not are using Axa as underwriter

Same figures for both thru the same company

Axa want 3600 for houses just on farm policy

AIB underwritten by Axa is 1600 for both

Axa have automaticity increased the building cover on my house to 843000 which I think is rediculous

• Registered Users Posts: 29,467 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Are any of ye in a purchasing group for insurance?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭older by the day

At 14800, with out cars and jeeps, no claims. I'm gobsmacked. I know you're have a big operation but, can you break it down a bit for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

That doesn’t seem bad for that amount of machinery, are they all covered full comp.

houses 3600

Livestock 1500

Public / employers liability 780

3 tractors - teleporter cubicle bedder - mowers tedders fert spreader sprayer slurry tanker agitator straw bedder cattle trailer dump trailer tipping trailer - all fully comp 5000

Income perfection insurance 1200

Bulk tank- loss of milk and accidental cover 500

Rest is made up of cover to basic payment sfp- feeds and fert cover etc

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I wonder are we paying for that bridge hit by a ship in usa?

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,226 ✭✭✭visatorro

• Advertisement

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Think it went up to €90 last year, around the same time basic IFA membership went to €90.

The IFA giveth and the IFA taketh away 😂

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

All comp. A good broker is the best option for insurance, they will get the discounts.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,169 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

But having a good look at things yourself is by far the best thing to do if you prepared to tease it out there's alot of stuff to get right in terms what you cover for and how much you cover for and what exactly different companies cover.eg avia don't cover slat collapse in their animal cover as standard whereas Zurich do.house insurance charge in outside sq ft prices but pay out in floor area sq footage big difference in old houses.keep your contents at the max at 30 % as it's an easy process in a events and it's new for old .price rebuild cost not value.if you over insure they only pay out to rebuild cost.if you under insure they only pay out to the %you ve under insured by.its a tricky business in a major claim.

How much is it to insure our sfp.devious minds are thinking already

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭older by the day

Are the houses, dwelling house Inc. Or just cattle sheds ect.

You are going fully comp on all your machines. Is it worth it?

Cover for feeds and fert, sfp.

You are not letting much too chance, do anyone think it's a bit excessive.

I suppose if that's the cover you want, you will have to price around

• Registered Users Posts: 6,965 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I'm a big believer if uake a claim they'll get it back anyway, that's why I wouldn't go mad estimating values

sfp will only be covered up to 15000- which would be the proportion covered from an on farm inspection where deductions were made for cross compliance etc

loss of my own milk is also covered as an extra seperate to bulk tank which cover the dairies and lorry up to 25000

I’ve found the opposite

houses are just dwelling houses

2 houses valued at 1300000 combined with 10% contents

• Advertisement

ICMSA say that average dairy farmers “coming out” with less than half the minimum hourly wage

In the run-up to the Teagasc National Farm Survey that’s expected to show a serious drop in dairy farmer income in 2023 and with the challenges of this year already fully evident, the President of ICMSA, Denis Drennan, has said that the reality of dairy farming in 2024 is that average dairy farmer income is now “well below” the minimum legal hourly wage. He said that the collapse in incomes of those producing the milk that supported Ireland’s most important indigenous industry is a damning indictment of the Government’s stewardship of Irish farming and food and provided a ‘textbook’ example of how to drive a vibrant and healthy multi-billion Euro sector potentially ‘off a cliff’.

Mr. Drennan said that even allowing for the fact that ICMSA would obviously always represent most forcibly the interests of family dairy farms, the ‘wipeout’ of dairy farmer income presided over by the Government and cheered-on by a “blissfully ignorant and insulated class of commentators” was unprecedented and easily verified by the most cursory look at the figures and data.

“We know that the Teagasc National Farm Survey will be published shortly.  Obviously, even at this stage that Survey is going to confirm what we already know; that dairy farmer income has fallen again, and we think will now be coming in under €50,000 for 2023.  But that figure hides the true extent of the disgrace that is dairy farmer income in 2024”, he said.

Mr. Drennan took as an example the average dairy farmer milking 92 cows with each cows producing 6000 litres, giving a total production of 552,000 litres.   Based on a milk price of 43cpl with a production cost of 37cpl, giving a net of just 6 cents per litre, that farm is now earning a total of approximately €33,000 from the milk enterprise out of which that average farmer will have repayments – often linked to requirements to meet ever increasing environmental regulations – of the order of €15,000.   This reduces his/her income to €18,000.

“That €18,000 based on farmers working a 60-hour week represents – to our most skilled farmer supporting a multi-billion Euro sector, the grand total of €5.76 per hour and that includes working Sundays, bank holidays etc.  That’s less than half the minimum hourly wage and is - we need to say this honestly - an absolute disgrace.  This is what our most technical and trained fulltime farmers – the ones on whom our world-famous, flagship food export is built – are coming out with”, said Mr. Drennan.

“There’ll be those who shrug their shoulders at that.   But those people won’t be getting by on four or five hours broken sleep per night for the ten weeks of calving and they are not the ones who are milking cows twice a day, every day, every week. We have no problem calling it for what it is: a disgrace. The hardest working people in the Irish agri sector are ending up with an hourly income that’s well below the minimum hourly rate allowed by the State.    The State and its officials can protest all they like about the ‘support’ they give and their good intentions.   The rest of us – and certainly ICMSA’s farmer-members – have to deal with their actual income; they can’t pay the bank or bills with ministerial intentions.”, he said.

Mr. Drennan repeated his call for Minister McConalogue to convene an All-Sector Farm ‘Summit’ as quickly as possible, so that the collapse in both incomes and confidence right across all sectors of Irish farming can be identified and addressed.

“We are in the throes of a ‘slow-motion’ collapse of our multi-billion Euro farm and food sector and the only response from those officials charged with responsibility is silence.   We have to ‘take the wheel’ and stop this aimless utterly destructive drift that so many seem content with and we have to look at generational renewal as the figures outlined above will not be tolerated by the next generation”, concluded the ICMSA President.

Ends 8 July 2024

Denis Drennan, 086-8389401

President, ICMSA

Or

Cathal MacCarthy, 087-6168758

ICMSA Press Office

• Registered Users Posts: 6,651 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Sfp is included in the above aswell as part of the calculation, theirs a serious credit crunch coming re feed bills, chatting rep this morning and the banks are starying to get worried in their own companies case re credit given out and how slow bills due are been paid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,856 ✭✭✭TinyMuffin

and straw going to be €30 a 4x4 bale.

• Registered Users Posts: 566 ✭✭✭Jack98

Just read an article there that said out of dairygold’s 2500 suppliers 60% are in derogation. That is some stat and will surely put a significant dampener on their milk intake in the coming years if derogation is to go, might be a home for some of the Kerry supplier group there but they wouldn’t be much better off than currently

• Registered Users Posts: 5,184 ✭✭✭Grueller

Spring barley around here will be about 4/5 bales per acre a tillage neighbour tells me. At €100/acre for chopping that's €20 a bale for the straw plus possibly tedding and rowing up and definitely baling. Add in scarcity and €30 will be very lucky to buy it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,772 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Everyone coming into the yard seems more anxious for money at the moment.

I'd a few different suppliers over the past 2 months when I was putting in the new tank and slats. The sales reps are all soft talk and you'd think by them that any time in the next few years would do them for money. No rush, we'll sort that out in it's own time, etc.

I'd say the concrete invoice landed within 2-3 days of it being poured and the slats crowd were writing and phoning within a week.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Concrete has to be prepaid for around here

• Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭straight

Winter barley seems to be yielding well straw wise though. Should be harvesting shortly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,760 ✭✭✭straight

I joined ICMSA this year. They really should email me those press releases. I wouldn't see them only for yourself.

Dairy farmers on half the minimum wage is hardly news but I guess they are trying to make headlines. My drawings are about 20k on average for 80 hour week on average.

Advertisement