Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,664 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Didn't milk until 8pm last night, milked at 5am yesterday morning. Wasnt a bother on the cows when we went to get them in last night was half tempted not to milk them until this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I have a few paddocks that are fairly strong that were taken for bales earlier, should I take em out again(silage will be tight )

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

That rule was drawn up to countenance farmers keeping reactors against the depts wishes for the good of the "national" herd.

A jobsbody in Jay's case has just used it for not what it was intended for.

Rock up tomorrow with the cows in a trailer to the dvo office.

He's going to have to have back up from our unions and farmers and make a scene. IF they don't inform him prior they've made a mistake and the jobs body unintentionally misinterpreted the rule.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Was just about to suggest similar. IFA have an animal health committee and TB is a regular topic on their agenda. Even if you're not a member, you could give your county rep a shout

https://www.ifa.ie/cross-sector-committees/animal-health-committee/

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭jaymla627

We havent had a reactor here in 40 years, had a few doubtful cows back in 2018 and they passed a retest and all killed out clean as a whistle when they where culled down through the years, milk advisor rang us this evening re dumpimg their milk/segregating them and she wasnt even aware of the new rules, will be a fair pisstake when on a 60 day testing regieme and drying of cows will the same rules apply

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,241 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

I often heard of farmers having to hold cows until the withdrawal period is over. It just seems your department vet is acting the maggot about the compensation. The time limits are for lads not agreeing with a value for stock.
    What difference will drying off cows make, dry cow tubes are short withdrawal times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,545 ✭✭✭Finty Lemon

Were the stock dosed before or after notification to test was issued?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,057 ✭✭✭Sheep breeder

You wouldn’t happen to be in the lily white area, new Senior vet there and making up his own rules and causing lots of grief for farmers, marts, and recent sheep sales as per the article in the journal. New dept vets are 9 to 5 men and no interest in helping farmers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭older by the day

You will have to find a way to get the compensation as I saw a farmers return for fr cow reactors from the factory. 1.50 a kg. His 4 cows made 1300 and something. So the department will have to fork out 7000 to get to his valuation price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,974 ✭✭✭cute geoge

At the earliest the cows wont be slaughtered for 14 days and that with you agreeing to 1st valuation. It would not be 2 hard to delay this to 30 days ,by 1st delay the inspection by the dept vet a few days

2. Disagree with the valuation and get them valued again .

3. Have a friendly chat with haulier and delay collection a few days.

You should have slaughter pushed out to 30 days if you follow the above ,no need to get in argument with dept over stupid rules.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,216 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Re dosing. If the animals are dosed b4 you receive notice of the test you're fine. Neighbour had heifers dosed and they were left back until withdrawal was up. Think he had 3 collections at different times.

If stock need treatment after notice recd. get your vet to certify same.

If you have difficulty giving oral drench get a good head scoop

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

problem there is 60 days to next test dosnt kick in till day animals leave your farm ….appealing valuation won’t gain much of any time as it can happen same day or following day if not happy then goes to arbitration but sinmals still go….from breakdown to removal 7/10 days usually ….my reactors going this morning ….went down last Friday week (11days ….that’s with 2 weekends )….friendly chat with haulier to delay won’t work ….they are given a list to work off and would have to report back any descripencies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,702 ✭✭✭jaymla627

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,664 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

In the thick of it this morning. Cow with milk fever, 4 new calves to get bottles. Neighbour rang looking for blessings he's moving away from big ch suckler cows to angus.

Not a fan of the IFA by any means, but would talk to them they are well aware of what’s going on there and are involved on the ground with lots of problems and you shouldn’t lose money because of TB which you didn’t infect your animals and most importantly look after your health as this can wreck your head, we have lots experience of TB.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

yes for definite he should contact IFA… like you im not a fan in general… but they put us onto a guy who was very very good… and he made us aware of our rights etc..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,808 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

The 3 factories can give what they like. I had an experience with 3 fr bullocks about 3 years ago that went down. Had agent to look at other cattle that were fit and to glance an eye over these 3 reactors. He said they were well fit and should be grading O's and at worse 3- for fat cover.

Kill sheet comes back and line behold all grade P= or P- and the best fat cover was 2=. All paid a crap price from the factory at approx 1/3 of there value had they no been reactors. Differing balance was funded by DAFM. A lot of folks feathering there own pocket on this gravy train bar the farmer

There is provision for retention of treated animals in the TB rules, however it will mean extending the period of restriction. Have had this issue before and its an inconvenience but workable. In our case we held stock until the date passed, sent to factory when ready, and were paid compensation in full. No hassle once it was talked through with DVO.

Full compensation will be paid after the period elapses.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

now it is 13 years ago but when we went down around this time of year in 2011.. think it was 140 reactors that we had the 1st time.. cattle ended up staying on the farm for a full 6weeks after test had been completed… so the treatment being dished out to Jay is total bolloxing

• Registered Users Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭green daries

It's worse now In some countys neighbours Had cattle on farm for 8 weeks no explanation.... he enquired at the finish and someone was on holidays........... apparently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

I seen a different case where cows went out of parlour thin reactors farmer seen kill sheet and was way more than he was getting for his non reactors in his local factory rang tb factory about supplying them with non reactors they qouted lower price they eventually said theyd pay same but were booked out for weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭ginger22

Will you ever go and f,,, off with your stirring the pot. Isn't it difficult enough without you acting the maggot.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭daiymann 5

Its the truth im sure factories have to forward tender prices they cant just make up on the day same with grades there monitored by someone

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Letter printed 20 years ago in the IFJ about the Dept's approach to TB: "the scheme has only eradicated billions of pounds" and "many farmers"

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Don’t take the bait, reactors are always less than normal cattle price wise, and a lot of factories don’t want the work that goes with reactors on kill line and offal etc to be kept separate.

Ffs

Post edited by older by the day on

I was going to post my friends return sheet, 1.50 Inc vat. But I changed my mind.

It's better for you to believe that the meat factory will give better money for reactors. Hopefully you will never find out.

If you have 11 reactors you have TB in the herd unfortunately, so best to face up to it. 40 years makes no odds.

You will get compensated once the withdrawal period passes and the animals leave so no need to go to war on that.Were they treated after the notification to test was received?

The milk advisor knows the rules on milk assembly and is under no obligation to know the DAFM compensation rules so that is largely irrelevant. All the rules are on the DAFM website for yo to know yourself, which of course you know already.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,642 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

He won't get paid that quick from the dept for animals.

Had animals go four months ago and not a cent from dept yet.

• Advertisement

Have you sent in your disinfection certs? They won't pay out until they're in.

Advertisement