Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,703 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Baltic ,crap at bottom of scraper runs frozen ,had to get tractor and bucket to cart it off ,2 troughs in shed flowing an outside trough they drunk from frozen
    Got 6 units going in first row, 7 the next , up to 12 in last row out of 15 units. Dairy door frozen. Hopefully that's the end of it now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Pressure switch went in main well pump last night, switched house well on to farm so have water but nothing flowing from Main pressure vessel has pipes cracked outside it. Ballsacks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Anyone have a cf moto quad doing farm work? Or know what there like?.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

Feed supplies could hit a hiccup....massive fire and damage at Halls in Cork this morning. They got a full boat load of maize 3 days ago..lot of damage from the videos..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Bought one 2 years ago first quad ever had so can’t compare but so far so good few small niggly things but nothing major or expensive to repair ,think it’s hard enough on juice but again nothing to compare ,love the auto gear box

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,060 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Bought one 2 years ago first quad ever had so can’t compare but so far so good few small niggly things but nothing major or expensive to repair ,think it’s hard enough on juice but again nothing to compare ,love the auto gear box

First quad for us too, so have nothing really to go off only what others say

How long would it take it to burn 20l petrol of a typical week?

They're very well priced

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Seriously have a look at a kei truck with atv tyres and wheels.
    Otherwise called a Quadtruck.

There's a lad on Twitter interested in dung beetles (you know who it is) and ask his opinion of his one.
    You'd have drier land than me. It'd be an absolute perfect machine for you.

whelan2 wrote: »
    Got 6 units going in first row, 7 the next , up to 12 in last row out of 15 units. Dairy door frozen. Hopefully that's the end of it now

There could be more the end of the month.

Might be a few nights frost still after mid next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭atlantic mist

would infra red lights work in a parlor?
    would they melt the rubber tubing?
    can you milk under the light?
    frozen solid this morning even with a blow heater going all night

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭farisfat

Infa red here on a frost stat,keep them away from the rubber.
    Works very good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

I was considering everything you all said here and others and decided to cancel the maize. He said I can think about it until april so we'll see. I have better silage this year and might shove the parlour feeding up to 6 or 7 kg and see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Is there any spraying the maize?

The machine that sows the maize under plastic does the spray also, so very good targeted use of the spray. Last year however was the 1st year with me that this didn't work, that was due to the drought after sowing, in may, so I had to go back in with myown sprayer and the little 2wd yardsraper tractor (it fit between the rows well without too much damage). That spray the 2nd go did come to like 400e, however the weeds that were coming up would of seriously stunted the crop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Is there any spraying the maize?

Sorry timmy, didnt mean to thumbs down your post!

First quad for us too, so have nothing really to go off only what others say

How long would it take it to burn 20l petrol of a typical week?

They're very well priced

From memory 12 euro filled it 4 days to a week depending on where cows are ,also use it a lot in spring carting my jfc milk cart/mixer around yard .def keenly priced and local dealer sells/services them .I’ve turned into a right lazy bastard since I bought it !!! Saying that it’s parked in a calf pen since early November .have to pull it out in an as have soil samples to take before slurry

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭cjpm

Used to have fierce hassle in our parlour.

What we now do is

1) drain everything possible and

2) leave the water heater on over night. Connect up a garden hose to it in the morning and wash anything still frozon on the milking machine.

We do have a infra red light for the milk pump and plate cooler

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

From memory 12 euro filled it 4 days to a week depending on where cows are ,also use it a lot in spring carting my jfc milk cart/mixer around yard .def keenly priced and local dealer sells/services them .I’ve turned into a right lazy bastard since I bought it !!! Saying that it’s parked in a calf pen since early November .have to pull it out in an as have soil samples to take before slurry

That's a 400 or so cc engine? 12e a week isn't bad, I get about 2wks outa the 20l can so not much difference, that's on a 250 honda.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Sorry if this was discussed already but anyone know if the fire yesterday in Ringaskiddy will upset the availability of ration?

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Sorry if this was discussed already but anyone know if the fire yesterday in Ringaskiddy will upset the availability of ration?

Availability no...price yes..

alps wrote: »
    Availability no...price yes..

And it was already rising ,fire was where thousands of tonnes of maize was I believe

And it was already rising ,fire was where thousands of tonnes of maize was I believe

Ya it was shooting up anyway.
    I got a couple of loads of maize out the whisky factory for the back end, suppose the likes of that now will go up too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

The utvs are near half the price of a gator as well, kitted out to be road legal

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Ya it was shooting up anyway.
    I got a couple of loads of maize out the whisky factory for the back end, suppose the likes of that now will go up too.

Will be looking at make up of my dairy nut for coming season during the week I’d say gone up anywhere from 10/20 euro tonne on what I paid for last load in November ,fertiliser on the shopping list too which I’m sure has risen too ,Pity price of milk wouldn’t keep up ....

Mooooo wrote: »
    The utvs are near half the price of a gator as well, kitted out to be road legal

The gators are bananas money was my first preference till I saw price

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,472 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

Did the maize cause it? Like it heated or something

Reggie. wrote: »
    Did the maize cause it? Like it heated or something

Conveyer belt going between sheds is the rumour.

Mooooo wrote: »

My thing was €5,500. Way more comfort than a gator or quad.
    Farms in Asia, Australia, NZ use them and there's a market of U.S. importers buying them second-hand from Japan.

There's a serious opportunity for more operators to import them second-hand from Japan for here.
    I think new they're around 10k new in Japan.

https://www.ts-export.com/page.php?page=about_kei_mini_trucks

Edit: on that site there were 2020 4wd's auctioned and sold for 6100 Euro.

Site that sells imported one's in the U.S. and does them up for farm, hunting, etc.
    https://samuraimini.com/buy/

And eBay's offering.
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/b/Suzuki-Carry-Manual-Commercial-Vans-Pickups/122202/bn_7038081332

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

My thing was €5,500. Way more comfort than a gator or quad.
    Farms in Asia, Australia, NZ use them and there's a market of U.S. importers buying them second-hand from Japan.

There's a serious opportunity for more operators to import them second-hand from Japan for here.
    I think new they're around 10k new in Japan.

https://www.ts-export.com/page.php?page=about_kei_mini_trucks

They seem a job alright, what way are they on ground vs a utv? 4wd? diff lock? Engine size?
    Are they peppy? Would they outdrive a cow for herding a breakout? What weight and engine size?

Will be looking at make up of my dairy nut for coming season during the week I’d say gone up anywhere from 10/20 euro tonne on what I paid for last load in November ,fertiliser on the shopping list too which I’m sure has risen too ,Pity price of milk wouldn’t keep up ....

Price of fertiliser still has not gone up...should move on it though..

Would they outdrive a cow for herding a breakout?

Couldn't be remotely compared with a quad..had a gator for a weekend....it was like trying to turn the Queen Mary..

• Advertisement

They seem a job alright, what way are they on ground vs a utv? 4wd? diff lock? Engine size?
    Are they peppy? Would they outdrive a cow for herding a breakout? What weight and engine size?

You'd do 80km/hr. Mine has 4wd high and low range. Some have diff lock mine doesn't.
    I'm not at home now. I think it's a 660cc engine.
    It's peppy enough. It would just about herd a breakout. But for your 90% dairy farmer does that really happen much?
    I haven't weighed mine but it's feck all weight.

I reckon they sell quads and gators here as that's all the European and U.S. farmers know and afford and they make the profit on and keep these purposely for their own lot.
    Why buy a quad so someone ends up paralysed on? Doesn't make sense.

Tom Pemberton on YouTube has one too.
    Bart van der Ven on Twitter another.

Advertisement