Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84 ✭✭roofer1988

straight wrote: »
    That's the attitude right there that sickens me. The dairy farmer makes enough out of the milk and he should dump off the culls and calves as a charity. I build up very strong relationships with my cows after they being around for years and hate giving them away to the gangsters around the ring. Online is putting a bit of manners on them thanks be to god. Was it the icsa published an article recently pleading with dairy farmers to sell their culls to the mart instead of sending them to the factory as there is alot of people making good money from buying them in the mart.

As opposed to given them to Larry Goodman the gent, I heard things are tough by him at the moment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

They seem a job alright, what way are they on ground vs a utv? 4wd? diff lock? Engine size?
    Are they peppy? Would they outdrive a cow for herding a breakout? What weight and engine size?

There's a hold my beer video in trying that out lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,872 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

alps wrote: »
    Couldn't be remotely compared with a quad..had a gator for a weekend....it was like trying to turn the Queen Mary..

Some are better than others in fairness, Ive a polaris utv here for nearly 10 years, but it's been costly enough to keep going and I don't fancy repacking it at the price of a new one.
    It's better than my previous Honda foreman 500 for practically everything except drifting and, of course, reliability.

You'd do 80km/hr. Mine has 4wd high and low range. Some have diff lock mine doesn't.
    I'm not at home now. I think it's a 660cc engine.
    It's peppy enough. It would just about herd a breakout. But for your 90% dairy farmer does that really happen much?
    I haven't weighed mine but it's feck all weight.

I reckon they sell quads and gators here as that's all the European and U.S. farmers know and afford and they make the profit on and keep these purposely for their own lot.
    Why buy a quad so someone ends up paralysed on? Doesn't make sense.

Tom Pemberton on YouTube has one too.
    Bart van der Ven on Twitter another.

Still sounds good! Is it easy enough on ground so? What's it like on high ground?
    What about when putting down strip wires in meadows and puliving up pegs, reach out the window I suppose.
    What about parts?

I'll just get a good dog for the breakout scenario!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,701 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Still sounds good! Is it easy enough on ground so? What's it like on high ground?
    What about when putting down strip wires in meadows and puliving up pegs, reach out the window I suppose.
    What about parts?

I'll just get a good dog for the breakout scenario!
    It's not as easy on ground as a quad. It is a heavier machine after all but it's feck all.
    That said I've wet ground referred to as moors and it never got stuck.
    For climbing. There's tyre's with lugs like tractor tyres on mine. I have taken it on steep enough ground on the Blackstairs commonage. And I thought it was fine.
    I enquired once about tracks on it and the people I was buying off would have sold them on but they talked me out of it in favour of the tyres I have now. Reason I wanted tracks was to leave as light an imprint as possible in swampy conditions. But then I'd loose ride quality and put pressure on the joints. I could have went with duals on the back but I left it so.
    I don't strip graze here but once I helped a neighbour and I was able to reach out the window and throw the pigtails in the back.
    Parts I don't know as it hasn't effected me yet but I presume Suzuki Ireland would help or internet? And the lad I bought it off said he'd deal with the servicing and any breakdowns.

• Advertisement

If you're serious about it, ask that farmer who knows his beetles on Twitter about his.
    He must be on his second year heading for third with his.
    He gets more use out of his than mine I'm betting. I have mine for the farthest fields and fencing and anything in between and I'm not frozen or wet to the b####x.
    It's a thing it's there when I want it.

Say did you get tracks for yours afterwards? Was someone selling a set of tracks for a large quad on dd very recently for a grand.

Timmaay wrote: »
    Say did you get tracks for yours afterwards? Was someone selling a set of tracks for a large quad on dd very recently for a grand.

I never got the tracks after. I was talked out of it.
    The lad I would have got them from would be taking tracks back from someone with them on a large quad. That lad had them on would be going across beach sand when the tide was out.
    He was going back to tyres.
    I forget the price but they are costly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Much of an issue taxing and insuring for the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Tonynewholland

Mooooo wrote: »

She’d have to pass the test every year

• Advertisement

That I don't know.

There's others in this country have though.

Surely the same as a utv which is zero issues for insurance anyway, and I've never heard of having to test one either?

Surely the same as a utv which is zero issues for insurance anyway, and I've never heard of having to test one either?

If it's down as a car it will need testing if going on the road? Never had one or a utv so I dunno. Car on its last legs here, was considering something like that if I could keep a car clean then. Like to have something I can jump into farm wise and keep a car for private use. Jeep and a car is more expensive

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

If you're serious about it, ask that farmer who knows his beetles on Twitter about his.
    He must be on his second year heading for third with his.
    He gets more use out of his than mine I'm betting. I have mine for the farthest fields and fencing and anything in between and I'm not frozen or wet to the b####x.
    It's a thing it's there when I want it.

If you were 6ft tall, could you get into it #miserablesmalljapaneseyolks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,061 ✭✭✭alps

You can be greasing up them vacuum tanks..

If you were 6ft tall, could you get into it #miserablesmalljapaneseyolks

It might be tighter. 5 ft 10 be grand.

The only time the under 6fts can give the two fingers to the over 6fts..:D

Edit: I think as a concept though they are so cool. Check out Samurai Mini on YouTube.

You can be greasing up them vacuum tanks..

Even the folks in the weather forum in the FI thread are all excited too as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,302 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

First tb test since breakdown this morning ,dept vets doing test ,I’d love a job there ,they won’t start any earlier than 10 o clock .......I’ll put up with it as long as I get the all clear Friday ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭mr.stonewall

mahoney_j wrote: »
    First tb test since breakdown this morning ,dept vets doing test ,I’d love a job there ,they won’t start any earlier than 10 o clock .......I’ll put up with it as long as I get the all clear Friday ...
    Their is a pair locally that would make you want pull your own teeth out with a vice grips at the pace they go at. Was reading and trying to get away to the brothers stag do a few years ago. What drove me around the bend was they wanted to put 20 3week old suck calves through the crush and it pouring rain

• Advertisement

Dept vet down here the opposite then, will get thru em right fast, she's fairly thorough as well

Dept vet down here the opposite then, will get thru em right fast, she's fairly thorough as well

Slow and thorough here ,as ling as they pass not bothered

Best of luck, hope you go clear. Will you be unrestricted if you go clear this time?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,703 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Are you dry atm? Nothing worse than having to milk after a day of tb testing

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are you dry atm? Nothing worse than having to milk after a day of tb testing

Yep cows dry so not overly bothered with late start

Best of luck, hope you go clear. Will you be unrestricted if you go clear this time?

Cheers ,no first test have to have second test in March even though cows were negative on blood and no legions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Do they still use a torch?

Yep cows dry so not overly bothered with late start

I usually tb test during the milking. I had some fun last year telling the department lads that no, I couldn't wait until 9.30 to start the milking. I think in the end they agreed to 8.30am, but of course they showed up late uggghhh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Can you check the EBI of weanling heifers on ICBF once they're in your herd on AgFood?

That is, you have the tag numbers and they are officially in your herd?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

Can you check the EBI of weanling heifers on ICBF once they're in your herd on AgFood?

That is, you have the tag numbers and they are officially in your herd?

They should come up on your icbf profile once they enter your herd.

Advertisement