Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Mooooo wrote: »
    They should come up on your icbf profile once they enter your herd.

Thanks for that.

ICBF and EBI is all new to me so I'll give them a shout tomorrow and get set up on their system.

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

If you go to the icbf homepage there is a box I think to do an animal search, could try typing in the full tag number and see if it comes up. Don't think you need a log in for that. Icbf herdplus is handy alright in harm to give em a bell

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

If you go to the icbf homepage there is a box I think to do an animal search, could try typing in the full tag number and see if it comes up. Don't think you need a log in for that. Icbf herdplus is handy alright in harm to give em a bell

Those animals themselves need to be in an icbf registered herd though.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭RobinBanks

Lads, not sure if this is the right thread but thought the dairy guys would know. I wanted to install a simple hot water system in the shed where i keep all the chemicals, medicines, calving aids etc. There is a mains tap outside the door and i have power inside the shed. Is there an off the shelf unit i could purchase so i have hot water. Something like an electric shower for industrial use.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Anyone know when in January are the next ICBF proofs published. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭tanko

Jan 26th at 3pm according to their website.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,842 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Thanks for that. I tried it but couldn’t find any tag number.

Rang them earlier and the young lad on the phone didn’t sound too sure of the set up. Can sign up for free but its €100 then for HerdPlus where you can get EBI and other reports.

Does that sound about right?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

Thanks for that. I tried it but couldn’t find any tag number.

Rang them earlier and the young lad on the phone didn’t sound too sure of the set up. Can sign up for free but its €100 then for HerdPlus where you can get EBI and other reports.

Does that sound about right?

That's right. Sign up to herdplus and you will have all the info at your fingertips. Well worth it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

straight wrote: »
    That's right. Sign up to herdplus and you will have all the info at your fingertips. Well worth it.

+1 to that a very valuable service , herd performance reports sent out , expected calving lists breeding charts sire advice and then the whole EBI system for dairy stock ... bought weanling heifers 2 weeks ago really good progressive farmer was surprised to see he had no ebis and that was down to not being linked to ICBF. I bought the heifers anyway based on mothers milk recordings and all after coming back EBIs from 150 to 220, ideal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

First quad for us too, so have nothing really to go off only what others say

How long would it take it to burn 20l petrol of a typical week?

They're very well priced

Bought our first quad when we got into dairy in 18, a honda 250 has been v reliable and an invaluable tool around the farm the last 3 years. As timmy said probably about a 20l drum every fortnight/month even during summer. On a dry flat farm I dont think theres any need for anything above a 250cc. Will be on 50 calf feeder again this spring hauling around 250l of milk.

Just when I am replying to you grasstomilk I think I remember you posting about feeding soya to cows before calving last year? We did it after too and got on well , was talking to rep today to order a bag but he told me it cant be got and the mills are keeping whatever they have for their own rations? Have you heard similar or been able to get it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,303 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Mf310 wrote: »
    Bought our first quad when we got into dairy in 18, a honda 250 has been v reliable and an invaluable tool around the farm the last 3 years. As timmy said probably about a 20l drum every fortnight/month even during summer. On a dry flat farm I dont think theres any need for anything above a 250cc. Will be on 50 calf feeder again this spring hauling around 250l of milk.

Just when I am replying to you grasstomilk I think I remember you posting about feeding soya to cows before calving last year? We did it after too and got on well , was talking to rep today to order a bag but he told me it cant be got and the mills are keeping whatever they have for their own rations? Have you heard similar or been able to get it?
    The fire in R&H Hall in Cork has caused a disruption in supply. According to reports 30,000 tons of soya meal, soya hulls, gluten etc were destroyed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭blackdog1

Anyone log onto lyons Farm webinar today?. Found it interesting especially from a profitability and sustainability view.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Why are the dept only letting you order the same amount of calf tags as last year.

Last year was our first year of milking & we've a good few more this year coming on board.

It's probably easily sorted but I can't think of any good reason this new rule came in.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

Last spring we bought 12 in calf holstein friesian heifers from a friesian breeder, 1 has now shown up with johnnes disease, have I any comeback with this breeder?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,703 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Henwin wrote: »
    Last spring we bought 12 in calf holstein friesian heifers from a friesian breeder, 1 has now shown up with johnnes disease, have I any comeback with this breeder?

Did you ask about johnes when buying? If an animal tests positive for johnes you cant sell it to another father only to factory

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Henwin

whelan2 wrote: »
    Did you ask about johnes when buying? If an animal tests positive for johnes you cant sell it to another father only to factory

No we never asked about it, we barely heard of it till now, no I will be sending it to the knacker yard.

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Why are the dept only letting you order the same amount of calf tags as last year.

Last year was our first year of milking & we've a good few more this year coming on board.

It's probably easily sorted but I can't think of any good reason this new rule came in.

It's a European thing they are complying with. Just ring department and they'll increase it to what you want

No we never asked about it, we barely heard of it till now, no I will be sending it to the knacker yard.

When did ye test for it? If ye tested for it within 6 months of a tb test results may not be accurate. Rel strange for a young animal to show symptoms of it.

Might be an idea to test the rest thay you bought. Were they calved or have you calves from them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭straight

I'd be letting the seller know for their own information at least.

• Advertisement

When did ye test for it? If ye tested for it within 6 months of a tb test results may not be accurate. Rel strange for a young animal to show symptoms of it.

Anything over 2 years can show symptoms. No point testing them before 2yo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,535 ✭✭✭stanflt

Vet rang last night to say sample I dropped off was positive for crypto- calf not sick and drinking properly just very loose- should I go with halicur on everything or wait

Oh and happy birthday whelan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,246 ✭✭✭Grueller

stanflt wrote: »
    Vet rang last night to say sample I dropped off was positive for crypto- calf not sick and drinking properly just very loose- should I go with halicur on everything or wait

I was in that situation two years ago with sucklers Stan. I decided to wait and paid a heavy price. I would go halocur on all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

Parafour is what you need, vet mighten stock it so you might have a job locating it, Halocur is awfully hard on a calf with crypto and usually makes them worse in my expirence

Halocur is a preventative not a cure

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Parafour is what you need, vet mighten stock it so you might have a job locating it, Halocur is awfully hard on a calf with crypto and usually makes them worse in my expirence

It's the dehydration that kills them.
    Fluids/rehydration stomach tubed twice or 3 times a day keeps them alive if done in time.
    There's no cure for crypto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,713 ✭✭✭jaymla627

richie123 wrote: »
    It's the dehydration that kills them.
    Fluids/rehydration stomach tubed twice or 3 times a day keeps them alive if done in time.
    There's no cure for crypto.

Have the shirt got here with crypto and parafour is a miracle drug but it’s crazy expensive, it halves recovery time in a crypto case and instead of 50 plus % mortality you’d get it under 10%, as a preventive is where it really shines through but again it’s going to cost 15 euro a calf to cover them

• Registered Users Posts: 790 ✭✭✭richie123

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Have the shirt got here with crypto and parafour is a miracle drug but it’s crazy expensive, it halves recovery time in a crypto case and instead of 50 plus % mortality you’d get it under 10%, as a preventive is where it really shines through but again it’s going to cost 15 euro a calf to cover them

True but thats treating the calf in the first few days before infection...but as a treatment for crypto after infection it's not effective and crazy dear.
    If a calf is severely dehydrated constant electrolytes in good time are the only therapy.
    Until calf solids up again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

blackdog1 wrote: »
    Anyone log onto lyons Farm webinar today?. Found it interesting especially from a profitability and sustainability view.

Wrong cow type...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,336 ✭✭✭Gawddawggonnit

Gabbrovet 140.
    Treat at first sign of illness for 2-3 days.
    Most efficient and cost effective treatment on the market.

Advertisement