Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,411 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Can't see the attraction in pumping out nitrogen to create a surplus that has to be baled.
    Anyone could see the way growth rates are going the last few weeks and adjust accordingly, skip every second field or shut the spreader down to 12-14 units and a lot of money and hassle would be spared at what should be one of the cushiest times of year for a dairy farmer.

Why not the whole hog?
    Conditions are perfect for biology and biological organic inputs.

20200728-220450.jpg

20200728-221006.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 29,432 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

The vet can change which is which at their discretion.

As long as they do the whole herd that way and know what they're doing of course.

Never heard of that tbh. Was always the same on any farm I was on in the UK and here

• Registered Users Posts: 11,238 ✭✭✭✭Base price

whelan2 wrote: »
    Never heard of that tbh. Was always the same on any farm I was on in the UK and here
    +1
    I would have thought that there are strict rules to ensure conformity.

Our vet won't tell you which is which and swaps it to suit himself.

Maybe it's just him.
    Reasoning is with him if people knew which was which it leaves it open to tampering with.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,432 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Our vet won't tell you which is which and swaps it to suit himself.

Maybe it's just him.
    Reasoning is with him if people knew which was which it leaves it open to tampering with.

What happens if the department come out to inspect at reading?

• Advertisement

What happens if the department come out to inspect at reading?

I presume he tells them which is which?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭trixi2011

Have seen both in Ireland and UK in resent times were vet has put the injections the wrong way round by mistake he would make a note of these animals . Had a cow with a big bottom lump at test 3 weeks ago ended up she had avain In that lump and a note had been on the system so passed the test no bother

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Lumps on the top...ok. bottom lumps...not ok!!
    Up for heaven down for hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭visatorro

Reggie. wrote:
    1000kg in a bale would be madness

Doubt any chamber would be able for 1000 kg bales . 800-850 kg seems to be the run of it

• Registered Users Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

cosatron wrote: »
    Says the contractor

Try moving that sort of weight on the front of a tractor constantly and you'll some harm being done

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭FarmerDougal

Weighed fusion 2 bales fewe years ago light crop which tested at 35dm and they Weighed 970-1030kg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭cosatron

Top lumps are avian tb, bottom lumps are panic stations around here

Your correct, another instance where I wasn’t paying attention in school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,141 ✭✭✭RightTurnClyde

Lumps on the top...ok. bottom lumps...not ok!!
    Up for heaven down for hell.

Big Blue Bottom Bad

Simples!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Winter wont be long coming so i m giving some thought to trying to keep the cubicles cleaner.what changes have ye made that have improved cibicle cleanliness in terms of head rail distance to cubicle end or brisket boards or what ever.now is the time to change stuff that might help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

K.G. wrote: »
    Winter wont be long coming so i m giving some thought to trying to keep the cubicles cleaner.what changes have ye made that have improved cibicle cleanliness in terms of head rail distance to cubicle end or brisket boards or what ever.now is the time to change stuff that might help

Ah Jaysus you're depressing me with talk like that, thinking about being back to cleaning cubicles!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

I thought this was an interesting idea on cleaning out paddocks in the next rotation.
    https://twitter.com/TeagascGrass10/status/1288415101075304449?s=19

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

Why not the whole hog?
    Conditions are perfect for biology and biological organic inputs.

20200728-220450.jpg

20200728-221006.jpg

Why not indeed!
    Except that soils under conventional industrial management protocols really struggle to function when the "heroin" is withdrawn.
    I'm only talking about optimum rates, cost, efficiency, and work /life balance.
    Successfully biologically functioning soils are a bit down the road for most both theoretically and practically.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Cows have to be fed on ****ty days from October on ,u can never have enough good feed in yard .been spreading 20 units behind cows since April and last 2.5 weeks back to 17!ish grass still growing strong but of my rotation was 25 days plus farm would go hungry v quick

I was writing in the context of people here complaining of having too many bales, and the difficulty on getting a window of baling (unnecessary) surplus grass in this weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

I was writing in the context of people here complaining of having too many bales, and the difficulty on getting a window of baling (unnecessary) surplus grass in this weather.

Tbh I just hate bales, viewed as a necessary evil. Also I don't really consider anything a surplus until cow's are out full time next year, a bad autumn here and with half the farm heavier in nature and cow's could well be in a month early.
    Can see your point but the last number of years have shown whether due to wet or dry weather a stock of forage will generally be needed in the yard. Managing that from year to year cost effectively obv debatable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Start a fund to sponsor a trip with a load of each over the weigh bridge.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭straight

Mooooo wrote: »
    Tbh I just hate bales, viewed as a necessary evil. Also I don't really consider anything a surplus until cow's are out full time next year, a bad autumn here and with half the farm heavier in nature and cow's could well be in a month early.
    Can see your point but the last number of years have shown whether due to wet or dry weather a stock of forage will generally be needed in the yard. Managing that from year to year cost effectively obv debatable

Hate bales here too but a necessary evil. I often think when I was growing up there was no vacuum tanks or bales and no need for big tractors, trailers, etc. Our costs are gone way out of control and the same price for our outputs or less in the case of calves, etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,155 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Wildsurfer wrote: »
    Ah Jaysus you're depressing me with talk like that, thinking about being back to cleaning cubicles!
    Ah i know but i have to figure out what i ll do 1 month
    Maybe order stuff an other month
    A month or 2 to get it done.......oh feck cows have to come in tomorrow and i still havent that finishedim dead pleased with myself that i started doung a bit of maintenance on the scrapers this afternoon.hasnt happened with a couple of years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mooooo wrote: »

Can you ever have too much silage, though? I have about 200 bales more than I need and going baling the second cut next week. I'll use most of the bales before I open the pit and hopefully cut earlier next year for better quality.

Tbh, I want a good reserve of silage here for the bad year. I'm not anxious to be looking for silage in a bad year ever again.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I spent over 5k on June buying in an extra 18 ac 1st cut, that on hindsight I could easily of got from 2nd and 3rd cuts given how the last 6wks went, however I had no idea back in June, everything pointed towards a possible repeat of summer 2018, where I had to spent about 30k on extra feed, plus the stress of running short all winter, so that 5k was simply insurance, that at worst case I don't get to cash in until the winter after next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,172 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

A reserve of top quality feed in yard 12 months of year is a must now and I look on it like an insurance policy when drought hits or wet spring/backend it’s one less thing to dress about and u don’t have to pay over the odds for average quality stuff even if u could find it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,193 ✭✭✭orm0nd

mahoney_j wrote: »
    A reserve of top quality feed in yard 12 months of year is a must now and I look on it like an insurance policy when drought hits or wet spring/backend it’s one less thing to dress about and u don’t have to pay over the odds for average quality stuff even if u could find it

a mate of mine started dairying on very dry upland farm in the '70s , he always maintained you should have 1.5 years winter fodder on hand

he sold up and moved to a much larger low lying farm with heavy soils, he now reckons you should have 2 years fodder on hand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,747 ✭✭✭straight

orm0nd wrote: »
    a mate of mine started dairying on very dry upland farm in the '70s , he always maintained you should have 1.5 years winter fodder on hand

he sold up and moved to a much larger low lying farm with heavy soils, he now reckons you should have 2 years fodder on hand

There's great comfort in having it. I'm buying in bales delivered here for 25 euro and I think it's a great job. Enough to be doing in the spring besides searching and begging for bales.

straight wrote: »
    There's great comfort in having it. I'm buying in bales delivered here for 25 euro and I think it's a great job. Enough to be doing in the spring besides searching and begging for bales.

Any reasonably good quality bale in the yard fr cheaper than 30 is easier than making it yourself from rented land, and also I would find, from excessive amounts of surplus grass. Closing ground in an organised fashion is a different story to making 20-40 wet bales every week or 2.

We always need about 3 months extra in hand here on heavy ground.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭jaymla627

The self-help group been set up by robot owners is interesting, Lely really poked the hornets nest a few weeks ago with their its not the robot it’s the farmers fault stance, was glancing through the class action been taken against them by a large group of American dairy farmers and it would open your eyes to the amount of things that exists to go wrong with them...
    Whenever that case is decided if the verdict goes against Lely could leave them wide open here for similar

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,428 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

jaymla627 wrote: »
    The self-help group been set up by robot owners is interesting, Lely really poked the hornets nest a few weeks ago with their its not the robot it’s the farmers fault stance, was glancing through the class action been taken against them by a large group of American dairy farmers and it would open your eyes to the amount of things that exists to go wrong with them...
    Whenever that case is decided if the verdict goes against Lely could leave them wide open here for similar

Lely put all its eggs in the robots when it sold its grass machinery rights

Advertisement