Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

cute geoge wrote: »
    Your wasted on here ,
    ??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Base price wrote: »
    I bet if you did a parentage test, the dam on the card wouldn't match up as the dam of the bull calf.
    As Bass said calves should not be in a mart/sold unless their navels have healed. There is legislation in place to prevent marts from accepting such calves and unless it's enacted some farmers will continue to take the piss and send them forward for sale.

Last year I was visiting a lad that milks a good few cows. I know him fairly well. I was asking him about how the new 10 day rule would effect him. The Mart he goes to was on a Thursday, His answer to was'' there will be no Friesian bulls born on a Tuesday , Wednesday and maybe Thursday on this farm.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Then they should not be in the mart.

Fully agree ......we can’t just expect calf rearers to accept poor/sub standard calves/stock .in a good price year with high demand u may get away with cutting corners but buyers will always remember the poor calves and where they came from a lot more than the better ones and won’t get stung twice .dairy farmers selling calves need regular buyers and outlets for there calves and need to remember this

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭sob1467

Quick one lads don't think it's worth starting a new thread, but sitting doing the paper work for a Bord Bia inspection this week.

They mention twice of the need of a safety statement, will the HSA Risk Assement Document probably cover that, or would we also have to draw up a safety statement?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Green&Red wrote: »
    When I said I had enough space to keep all my calves until they went to grass, that wasn’t a euphemism for something else.
    I have the space, I see more value in getting rid of them early. I see farmers who keep them until they’re 16 months, I don’t see the value in that.

€40 below

10 mins a calf for 50 calves is over 8 hours

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Saw this article a while back a calf rearing operation down under. They rear 500 calv s a year. Husband and wife operation. When the journalists arrived the unit has 300 calves. Time spend per calf was 2.5 minutes per calf by the article.
    https://www.agriland.ie/farming-news/rearing-500-calves-with-2-mortality-on-a-calf-unit-in-new-zealand/

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭straight

sob1467 wrote: »
    Quick one lads don't think it's worth starting a new thread, but sitting doing the paper work for a Bord Bia inspection this week.

They mention twice of the need of a safety statement, will the HSA Risk Assement Document probably cover that, or would we also have to draw up a safety statement?

That'll do. Its green, you can print it off or I'd say teagasc have them. It's a tick box job and you can update it every year then.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭straight

You could be hours watching them calving, delivering them, administering colostrum, moving them to calf house, training to drink, tagging, bvd testing, posting samples, etc. Alot of work in getting a calf to 2 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,424 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

straight wrote: »
    You could be hours watching them calving, delivering them, administering colostrum, moving them to calf house, training to drink, tagging, bvd testing, posting samples, etc. Alot of work in getting a calf to 2 weeks.

Alot of that work is in the first few days, the extra days you are keeping them wouldnt be very labour intensive

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Would be 2 to 3 weeks here before selling to a regular buyer, generally 3 weeks + for the mart. Haulier collects and sells in the mart for me.
    I remember being a study done and I think the conclusion was it wasnt the actual travelling that was stressful for the calf it was more the handling before and after etc. Can't recall where I saw it.
    On the holding of calves for longer it is more risk can increase of an outbreak of some sort be it pneumonia if weather is dodgy or if one batch had an outbreak of scour etc higher chance more animals could pick it up. No problem with calves when things are going well but it's when things go wrong the work involved can multiply at scale.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Ya but is he not referring to the week or 10 days after the first 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

mahoney_j wrote: »
    In 5 years time do u think that system will still be allowed ??
    On keeping them till 16 months or weakling etc depends on farm but I’ve always kept cattle as fragmented farm ,u won’t get rich but there a twist in them if there done well as calves

For beef calves I can, suckler farmers are being squeezed more than most, dairy beef will be needed for that hole IMO

for dairy bull calves I can see a complete tightening up, I’d be in favour of that, it gives a bad look

For the 16 months guys there must be something in it or they wouldn’t be doing it, I just don’t see the value

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Acquiescence

That'll do. Its green, you can print it off or I'd say teagasc have them. It's a tick box job and you can update it every year then.

You can fill it out fully online on farmsafely.com I have a faint memory of it being slightly less painful than the paper version and you can't lose it. Always a plus.

• Registered Users Posts: 791 ✭✭✭sob1467

You can fill it out fully online on farmsafely.com I have a faint memory of it being slightly less painful than the paper version and you can't lose it. Always a plus.

Thanks a lot men, appreciate it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Anyone using deosan novo dual teat spray?

Anyone using deosan novo dual teat spray?

Used a drum after I ran out of deosan teat foam advance last year ,wasn’t on it long enough to give opinion but like rest of deosan stuff it’s dear ,using detergent ,acid and the ark shield test spray from ark farm in Wexford now and so far so good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭alps

Used a drum after I ran out of deosan teat foam advance last year ,wasn’t on it long enough to give opinion but like rest of deosan stuff it’s dear ,using detergent ,acid and the ark shield test spray from ark farm in Wexford now and so far so good

Great products Mahoney....but Jaysus, parlour chemical bill are becoming obscene..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

alps wrote: »
    Great products Mahoney....but Jaysus, parlour chemical bill are becoming obscene..

Absolutely, but it pays to shop around, and stay well clear of the co-op.

alps wrote: »

Yep turning into a serious yearly cost now ,at least with ark products ,there a bit cheaper ,dosnt require daily hot washes and they actually work

• Registered Users Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Grueller

Yep turning into a serious yearly cost now ,at least with ark products ,there a bit cheaper ,dosnt require daily hot washes and they actually work

What is the routine with them mj? And if you don't mind a breakdown of costs too.

I am using ark shield teat dip and have had no problems with it so far.

• Advertisement

Is that a lactic acid based dip?

Mooooo wrote: »
    Is that a lactic acid based dip?

5% lactic acid.0.3% chlorohexadine iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Did the cows with ivomec classic pour on on the 12th December. Cows are itching and licking themselves a fair bit and tails are swishing mad. Vet was out this morning to a sick cow and said I should have done them again a couple of weeks after the first pour on. Any suggestions on what I should use? Only 3 calved so far so should I use a zero milk withdrawal product? Thanks

Did the cows with ivomec classic pour on on the 12th December. Cows are itching and licking themselves a fair bit and tails are swishing mad. Vet was out this morning to a sick cow and said I should have done them again a couple of weeks after the first pour on. Any suggestions on what I should use? Only 3 calved so far so should I use a zero milk withdrawal product? Thanks
    Whatever you use, maybe stick up a few brushes as well, they're not too dear if you shop around and are a great help imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

Whatever you use, maybe stick up a few brushes as well, they're not too dear if you shop around and are a great help imho.

Brushes are on my list of things to do. Will put them in ASAP. Any recommendations on what type or where to get them?

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭Mf310

Absolutely, but it pays to shop around, and stay well clear of the co-op.

Would definitely agree to avoid coop even that Hypred stuff is outrageously deer . We get all our chemicals and teat spray from Midland vetinerary in portlaoise delivered out and the detergents work well. TBCs consistently below 10 and thats with just a rinse done in evening

Mf310 wrote: »
    Would definitely agree to avoid coop even that Hypred stuff is outrageously deer . We get all our chemicals and teat spray from Midland vetinerary in portlaoise delivered out and the detergents work well. TBCs consistently below 10 and thats with just a rinse done in evening

What brands are they providing Mf310?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭JustJoe7240

Anyone heard anything about greggcare? Ordered 12 days ago and still haven't received anything. Normally delivered in 2-3 days. Getting an error when i go to their website and got a bounce back when i emailed their contact mail address.

Brushes are on my list of things to do. Will put them in ASAP. Any recommendations on what type or where to get them?

Try animalfarmacy.ie, they were about half the price of another well known online retailer.
    Vink ones are the only ones I've come across and they're well made.
    I've seen some home made ones too, nailing a brush head onto something but I don't think they'd last too long.
    Best pic I've seen was an old road sweeper brush dropped over a metal pole.

• Advertisement

For lice and mange the spot on type ones can be better than the ones that do worms etc as well I think.

Advertisement