Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

Did the cows with ivomec classic pour on on the 12th December. Cows are itching and licking themselves a fair bit and tails are swishing mad. Vet was out this morning to a sick cow and said I should have done them again a couple of weeks after the first pour on. Any suggestions on what I should use? Only 3 calved so far so should I use a zero milk withdrawal product? Thanks
    10 days after the first dose will kill any lice that had hatched from eggs from the previous batch

• Registered Users Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭Injuryprone

Did the cows with ivomec classic pour on on the 12th December. Cows are itching and licking themselves a fair bit and tails are swishing mad. Vet was out this morning to a sick cow and said I should have done them again a couple of weeks after the first pour on. Any suggestions on what I should use? Only 3 calved so far so should I use a zero milk withdrawal product? Thanks

You might want to check the milk from the first few cows just in case

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

You might want to check the milk from the first few cows just in case

I got the ivomec classic in the vets office. It was the one recommended to me by his staff member. Also mentioned it to the vet this morning about applying it on the 10th December and he didn't raise any concern about it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭orm0nd

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Bord Bia won't be too pleased .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,446 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

orm0nd wrote: »
    Bord Bia won't be too pleased .

Ya that would have to be watched regarding milk deliveries. Testing milk to make sure no residue will not wash with board bia

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 29,424 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Anyone have their cows out?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Castlekeeper

whelan2 wrote: »

There are around here, but they'd want their heads examined IMHO. It's nearly the most miserable week of the winter so far.
    But I suppose there's targets to be met!
    Theyve really got the factory floor mindset into some people, I'd nearly prefer to be a rooter!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,170 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Out yesterday for first time ,heavy rain last night but looks to have cleared now may let them out for few hours if stays dry ,will see after breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Ground too wet to go out here

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Anyone on here start off OAD as a new entrant?

Or is it a case that everyone milking OAD was TAD previously and then switched?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

There is a oad webinar on teagasc site somewhere. A few have started oad but you'd prob have to be more selective again when buying in.

No far too wet, heap calved that haven't been out so they'd just run rings around the place, few dry days together will straighten things out

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Do any lads milk once a day for awhile in February

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

kevthegaff wrote: »
    Do any lads milk once a day for awhile in February

Wouldn't be unusual at all down here.
    Actually one of the best farmers does it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote:

Looking like may day now at this rate!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭straight

People that have the cows out are like vegans or sea swimmers. You know because they will be telling everyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭straight

Just had my first calf there. Holidays over.

straight wrote: »
    Just had my first calf there. Holidays over.

Congratulations

Ordered blue jfc teats for teat feeder. Put them in and milk wont come out of them. Used them before no bother. Have the peach teats on another feeder and they are fine. Any ideas. Anyone have this problem?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Ordered blue jfc teats for teat feeder. Put them in and milk wont come out of them. Used them before no bother. Have the peach teats on another feeder and they are fine. Any ideas. Anyone have this problem?

If the milk is not coming out - a heated needle thru the slit may help. Try it on one to see.

Are the slits in the front of them the right way? Use milk bar teats here happy enough with them. Peach teats on the baby bottles

• Registered Users Posts: 3,210 ✭✭✭visatorro

whelan2 wrote:

If you go to local glanbia coop here to buy a jfc feeder the lad behind the counter hands you a bag of peach teats aswell. He just smiles and says you'll need them! The jfc teats are a bad job.

Mooooo wrote: »
    Are the slits in the front of them the right way? Use milk bar teats here happy enough with them. Peach teats on the baby bottles

Is there a right and a wrong way? Should the point thing on the inside be facing a certain way. Spending way more time trying to sort it than I have

Is there a right and a wrong way? Should the point thing on the inside be facing a certain way. Spending way more time trying to sort it than I have

If they are in sideways instead of the slits opening as they suck they stay closed. The slits on the front of the teat should be vertical so that when calves sucks it opens. Thats the way with milk bar ones anyway

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Mooooo wrote: »
    If they are in sideways instead of the slits opening as they suck they stay closed. The slits on the front of the teat should be vertical so that when calves sucks it opens. Thats the way with milk bar ones anyway

Same thing happened me last year with new teats - brought them back to the local merchant to look for a refund and he showed me how they worked when out in with the slits vertical. I was a little red in the cheek walking out of the place that day!

But sure how would you know unless someone showed you?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Same thing happened me last year with new teats - brought them back to the local merchant to look for a refund and he showed me how they worked when out in with the slits vertical. I was a little red in the cheek walking out of the place that day!

But sure how would you know unless someone showed you?

I dont know how many years we have the feeders and never had this problem. Everyday is a learning day

• Registered Users Posts: 6,632 ✭✭✭jaymla627

straight wrote: »
    People that have the cows out are like vegans or sea swimmers. You know because they will be telling everyone.

Beast from the east type scenario looks nailed on the severity of it yet to be decided hopefully lads learned lessons from last time and are prepared for it, instead of focusing on grass to milk and the spring rotation planner

jaymla627 wrote: »
    Beast from the east type scenario looks nailed on the severity of it yet to be decided hopefully lads learned lessons from last time and are prepared for it, instead of focusing on grass to milk and the spring rotation planner

Alan o reilly wouldn't usually be too far wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,509 ✭✭✭roosterman71

It'll be no beast. Last time we had cold from the east, plus Storm Emma coming up from the south and driving the cold across the country. No storm this time, just cold weather.

I miss the days when there wasn't as much pumping and exaggerating of all things. The weather is a good example. The forecast should be frost and maybe some snow. Or windy and rain. Naming and colour codes and all that ****e is just making normal weather seem like a big event/problem.

I want dry days and frost. Gotta get the slurry out :D

Advertisement