Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dairy Chitchat 4, an udder new thread.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,741 ✭✭✭straight

It'll be no beast. Last time we had cold from the east, plus Storm Emma coming up from the south and driving the cold across the country. No storm this time, just cold weather.

I miss the days when there wasn't as much pumping and exaggerating of all things. The weather is a good example. The forecast should be frost and maybe some snow. Or windy and rain. Naming and colour codes and all that ****e is just making normal weather seem like a big event/problem.

I want dry days and frost. Gotta get the slurry out :D

Can't spread it on frozen ground. Tut, tut. I'll be putting it out too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭GrasstoMilk

It'll be no beast. Last time we had cold from the east, plus Storm Emma coming up from the south and driving the cold across the country. No storm this time, just cold weather.

I miss the days when there wasn't as much pumping and exaggerating of all things. The weather is a good example. The forecast should be frost and maybe some snow. Or windy and rain. Naming and colour codes and all that ****e is just making normal weather seem like a big event/problem.

Get the few sheets on this and I won't care what weather comes, more than likely it'll be dry and it won't be needed this spring!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,192 ✭✭✭orm0nd

Ya that would have to be watched regarding milk deliveries. Testing milk to make sure no residue will not wash with board bia

Nothing to do with that. Iv classic is not licensed for used in any type of animal intended for supplying milk the following season.

If it shows up on your animal remedies records you lose your qa status straight away

No qa = no collection.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,424 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

orm0nd wrote: »
    Nothing to do with that. Iv classic is not licensed for used in any type of animal intended for supplying milk the following season.

If it shows up on your animal remedies records you lose your qa status straight away

No qa = no collection.

Strange that the vets gave it out knowing it was being given to dairy cows

• Registered Users Posts: 11,396 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Are you sure there's no 50mph winds forecasted for the south coast on the Wednesday next with the accompanying heavy moisture meeting the cold airmass?

Just go a few days ahead for the forecast with beyond for the general trend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,506 ✭✭✭roosterman71

straight wrote: »
    Can't spread it on frozen ground. Tut, tut. I'll be putting it out too.

Ya what now? Can't spread on frozen ground? You for real?
    It be April before I'd be able to get onto fields with a tanker if that was the case
    Are you sure there's no 50mph winds forecasted for the south coast on the Wednesday next with the accompanying heavy moisture meeting the cold airmass?

Just go a few days ahead for the forecast with beyond for the general trend.

Emma was much stronger than that though wasn't she? I nearly forget now. Main thing I remember is the snow cos that's the best part! We both spend time in the weather model threads - that's where I'm getting my ideas from.

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭liosnagceann75

orm0nd wrote: »

No qa = no collection.

Sorry. My vet begs to differ with you

Ya what now? Can't spread on frozen ground? You for real?
    It be April before I'd be able to get onto fields with a tanker if that was the case

Emma was much stronger than that though wasn't she? I nearly forget now. Main thing I remember is the snow cos that's the best part! We both spend time in the weather model threads - that's where I'm getting my ideas from.

You can only spread in the open season and then; not on water logged soils, frozen/snow covered ground, no heavy rain forecast, no sloping ground. I suppose you can't spread it on a warm sunny day either because it would go off in the air. Those rules probably make as much sense as the dates in fairness. You see tom p on YouTube in England spreading sh1t all winter in all types of weather and water logged fields.

Get the few sheets on this and I won't care what weather comes, more than likely it'll be dry and it won't be needed this spring!

Building is a pain but it's all worth it. Is that PVC that you have nailed to the wall of the parlour?

It's the amount of moisture that comes up with a system like that that gets the snow and quantities. And then you need a real cold air over to get the result.
    The greater the differences in air mass temperature and the higher the windspeed too.

A forecast is a thing of warning or a thing of joy. Even in this day and age it's not a thing of absolute.
    Same that people's opinions nor themselves should never be taken as absolute.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭older by the day

A lot of co.op.s have deals on teat dips at the mo. I use deosan teatfoam pre and masticide post. 50 Euro and 75 a drum approx. Great results but pricey. must get a barrel. What are people using and have you good results. Which is the most important part.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭ruwithme

Just on the weather,met eireann have really gone to pot since as far back as the 2017 storm i think it was called ophelia?? In the October of that year.big wind in places & a red weather warning.

That for me was the start of it.being warning almost weekly since of some colour. Also find their Sunday farming weather forecasting very pessimistic to say the least,almost year round now & often doesn't come near as bad as the shout.

I go by bbc ni weather reports here,as we are in ulster,so they cover us pretty well i feel & bbc uk forcast often give a good 7 to 10 day indication.

A lot of co.op.s have deals on teat dips at the mo. I use deosan teatfoam pre and masticide post. 50 Euro and 75 a drum approx. Great results but pricey. must get a barrel. What are people using and have you good results. Which is the most important part.

Use virolac here. Use little hand held sprayers from dealz. Happy with it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,034 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Anybody spread N yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭tismesoitis

Using Topsan sc plus from hilltop agri supplies. Serious stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

Teagasc did a test of different brands, tis on their website somewhere

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    Anybody spread N yet?

Have urea in the yard but haven't gone yet

Mooooo wrote: »
    Teagasc did a test of different brands, tis on their website somewhere

I was actually looking at that the other day, that's how I picked out what we'd change to, it's a very good trial
    We were using virolac, according to it its not that great, would be in the bottom 3rd of teat sprays
    We bought a pre and post spray from buyrite after, it had good results on that trial

straight wrote: »
    Building is a pain but it's all worth it. Is that PVC that you have nailed to the wall of the parlour?

Yes pvc, had it on the original parlour due to not being able to get anyone to plaster when it was built, continued it on to match it up for the extension

Effydral tablets have been discontinued

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭stanflt

whelan2 wrote: »

I find them brilliant- that’s very disappointing

Fcuk sake. They're very good and very handy. Where did ya here that Whelan?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

Why that I wonder sur no antibiotics in them

Mooooo wrote: »
    Fcuk sake. They're very good and very handy. Where did ya here that Whelan?

Got a text off vet

• Registered Users Posts: 4,490 ✭✭✭stanflt

Got a text off vet

I had a bull calf panned out in New Year’s Day was about 4 days old- sucked eyes etc - said to the brother to ring the knackery for him- I stomach tubed him twice in 6 hours and I sold him 10 days ago for 145

• Registered Users Posts: 11,388 ✭✭✭✭Green&Red

I was actually looking at that the other day, that's how I picked out what we'd change to, it's a very good trial
    We were using virolac, according to it its not that great, would be in the bottom 3rd of teat sprays
    We bought a pre and post spray from buyrite after, it had good results on that trial

Have you a link to that study? Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,229 ✭✭✭✭Base price

The department are planning a chemical fertlizer register linked to herd numbers and a reduction on nitrogen use limits.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/double-blow-for-dairy-expansion-600285

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Would I be right in saying 400 litres is the minimum a co-op will collect in any collection?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

• Advertisement

Base price wrote: »
    The department are planning a chemical fertlizer register linked to herd numbers and a reduction on nitrogen use limits.
    https://www.farmersjournal.ie/double-blow-for-dairy-expansion-600285

Glanbia gives yearly stipend to Say my name and Castlekeeper on how to marry natural nitrogen production with dairy farming!

Advertisement