Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tempted to keep my Hybrid

Options
  • 13-07-2020 4:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

I started cycling last year with a Giant Escape Hybrid. Since then, I’ve grown very attached to it.

However, I’ve recently purchased a good endurance road bike which I use 2 to 3 times a week for leisure and exercise.

I am considering keeping the Hybrid for those cycling trips where I decide to venture off-road, gravel paths, sand etc. or when I want to head into town to do a few errands.

Anyone else have this dilemma?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

N + 1

Welcome to the party.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i own five bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,785 ✭✭✭✭dahat

There is no dilemma....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭Chartsengrafs

onlineweb wrote: »

What dilemma?

Right tool for the right job and all that. I've been threatening to retire my 15 year old hybrid for a few years now and I've just put new tyres and cables on it AGAIN :rolleyes: . I was going to get new one for my birthday this week but nothing caught my eye hence new tyres etc.

I use it for going to the shops and running errands and on bad days to go to work to spare the road bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,392 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

dahat wrote: »
    There is no dilemma....

apart from what to buy next

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭onlineweb

i own five bikes.

Road & MTB’s?

Right tool for the right job and all that. I've been threatening to retire my 15 year old hybrid for a few years now and I've just put new tyres and cables on it AGAIN :rolleyes: . I was going to get new one for my birthday this week but nothing caught my eye hence new tyres etc.

I use it for going to the shops and running errands and on bad days to go to work to spare the road bike.

Do you have a road bike as well?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 49,577 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Road & MTB’s?
    one MTB, one cheapo singlespeed, and three road bikes.

one MTB, one cheapo singlespeed, and three road bikes.

Ha cool, I’lll probably end up with 3 bikes next year
    :)

• Advertisement

Do you have a road bike as well?

Oh yeah, the plan was to replace the hybrid and get another road bike as I'll be 40 this week but those have gone on the long finger now and probably for the best to wait for more options over the summer in terms of 2021 models.

Oh yeah, the plan was to replace the hybrid and get another road bike as I'll be 40 this week but those have gone on the long finger now and probably for the best to wait for more options over the summer in terms of 2021 models.

Happy birthday,

You will probably end up with 2 road bikes and a Hybrid. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

3 road bikes (4th coming!), CX bike, and a TT bike in the stable here, all slightly different gearing.

If you have the space, you literally can't have too many bikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

dahat wrote: »
    There is no dilemma....

^This.

I’ve two road bikes and a hybrid.

I rarely use the hybrid but it’s handy to have for a quick trip to the shops or out for a few km with the young lad.

As a rule I don’t sell my bikes* or my musical instruments.

*except for the kids bikes once they’ve out grown them.

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

I started cycling last year with a Giant Escape Hybrid. Since then, I’ve grown very attached to it.

However, I’ve recently purchased a good endurance road bike which I use 2 to 3 times a week for leisure and exercise.

I am considering keeping the Hybrid for those cycling trips where I decide to venture off-road, gravel paths, sand etc. or when I want to head into town to do a few errands.

Only ever sell a bike to replace it with another one.

You could buy a mtb if you want to try out some offroad stuff as you would be able to do rougher stuff if you wanted to. For me a mtb and a road bike is the bare minimum unless on a really short trip away.

You could also keep the bike and upgrade it for gravel, and learn about bike maintenance while your at it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Five road bikes & a Brompton here - all get good use pre covid travel restrictions. Keep it and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,251 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Five road bikes & a Brompton here - all get good use pre covid travel restrictions. Keep it and enjoy it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,768 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Also have a Brompton. And a tourer and a bakfiets.

I think that's all I need though:
    Brompton: lives under stairs;basket, lights, toolkit, pump attached to/inside frame. Local trips, renting cars, quick pick-up-and-go
    Touring bike: longer distances, bigger loads, pulling trailers
    Bakfiets: kids, big loads that don't need a trailer

• Registered Users Posts: 9,449 ✭✭✭Macy0161

I think the hybrid will be ok for trails/ gravel, maybe with a change of tyres. For general shopping/ commuting, I've always preferred the less worry about an older bike.

5 in my line up, including (at least in pre-covid times) a permanent turbo bike. Daughter is on one I brought for myself (that I'd take back if I could), and I also have an old steel 5 speed in the shed awaiting restore!

• Registered Users Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Tony04

Macy0161 wrote: »
    I think the hybrid will be ok for trails/ gravel, maybe with a change of tyres. For general shopping/ commuting, I've always preferred the less worry about an older bike.

Agreed hybrid frame and forks are well capable for gravel and even some coillte trails as long as dont ride drops bigger than a kerb and dont go sending jumps

As well as tyres I'd consider upgrading the drivetrain, at the very least I'd fashion a chainstay protector out of an old tube to dampen chain slap and avoid frame damage.

The parts for a 1 x 10/11 drivetrain could be found for less than 200€, while it sounds like alot the difference it can make to a bike is massive. Even a derailleur with a clutch damper for chain slap for less than 50 is really good upgrade

• Advertisement
Advertisement