Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Call from Financial ombudsman

• 13-07-2020 5:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭

Got a call today from a mobile network 085 claiming to be from the financial ombudsman. I hung up didn't think it was genuine don't know why they would be ringing me,are they scams involving this crowd any one know.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,479 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If you haven't lodged a complaint with them, it's hard to see how they could be trying to contact you. The mobile phone could be an indicator of fraud, but in the current cliimate, it could be explained by someone who works in that office now working from home.

If you can afford the time, I'd string them along. If it's a scammer, they will probably tell you that your 'complaint' has been successful and they have a rebate for you. They just need your credit card number and the three digit (CVV) number on the back. To which you reply that they don't need the CVV number to apply a credit. That's when they realise they've been rumbled and they hang up.

Note that the Financial Ombudsman never pays money direct to citizens so even if you have a case outstanding with them, under no circumstances should you give anyone your personal details over the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 261 ✭✭mbradso2003

Just to say a lot of people are still working remotely. I deal with another financial regulator and have received calls from their mobile phones and I know they have also rang individuals/consumers directly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,896 ✭✭✭Irishphotodesk

kerryjack wrote: »
    Got a call today from a mobile network 085 claiming to be from the financial ombudsman. I hung up didn't think it was genuine don't know why they would be ringing me,are they scams involving this crowd any one know.

I had a similar call from a person from social welfare - just needed to verify my identity before continuing the call, told him I was uncomfortable with a random mobile number seeking personal information and requested that he put his request through the email account on file.

He did ...it was a genuine call, but I was happier to deal with it via email, I could see the welfare.ie email address.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,574 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Thanks guys turned out to be legit all right herself rang by mistake yesterday though she was ringing bank but financial ombudsman number at bottom of letter she rang from my phone so they rang me back.

Advertisement