Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy a MacBook?

Options
  • 13-07-2020 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Looking to upgrade my MacBook Air 11inch to a 2020 MacBook Air or MacBook Pro. As I’m a teacher I can avail of the Apple education discount. On the Apple store I can get a MacBook Air for €1150with free AirPods and update the processor from i3 to i5 for €50. Whereas in compuB and curry’s etc the price is v much set at the base model being €1250. What is people’s experience with buying their Mac?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

sounds like a good saving - including AirPods - from apple, not sure why you'd buy elsewhere? CompuB was appointed a liquidator recently and Curry's aren't exactly a great place to buy either. Buy straight from the manufacturer, it cuts out the middle-man.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I went from a i5 2013 MB Air to 2020 Air i7 and got it via Apple store, had to wait a few weeks for space grey colour but overall I'm very happy with my purchase...

• Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

I’m teaching so don’t need anything too demanding but would still prefer the i5 processor over the i3. Would the MacBook Air suffice? Thanks for the info, it’s unbelievable the difference in prices out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

nqtfarmer wrote: »
    I’m teaching so don’t need anything too demanding but would still prefer the i5 processor over the i3. Would the MacBook Air suffice? Thanks for the info, it’s unbelievable the difference in prices out there.

I can imagine for your needs it would alright, I am in a similar boat as I don't need the raw power of a MacBook Pro as I only run a couple of music production programs and want portability for travel.

There isn't even all that much between the i5 and i7 model really unless you are doing serious video production... (which you would do on a MB Pro moreso)

The i5 Air should do you fine...

Been looking at the i5 Air a lot myself recently. Are they much better than an iPad Pro to use or if I was mostly browsing, etc would it be overkill? I’ve a windows laptop too but I’m slowly changing everything over towards Apple, just not sure what MacOS would offer over iPad OS as I haven’t used the former enough. They look very similar.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 184 ✭✭nqtfarmer

Been looking at the i5 Air a lot myself recently. Are they much better than an iPad Pro to use or if I was mostly browsing, etc would it be overkill? I’ve a windows laptop too but I’m slowly changing everything over towards Apple, just not sure what MacOS would offer over iPad OS as I haven’t used the former enough. They look very similar.
    I find the productivity of the MacBook much superior, iPad is great for browsing but if you need to settle down to work the MacBook performs great. Would the MacBook Air graphics card be capable of some light gaming?

Advertisement