Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Like Kelly’s head vandalised for the 7th time

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Just get rid of it, it's only luke kelly

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 140 ✭✭gailforecast

PsychoPete wrote: »
    Just get rid of it, it's only luke kelly

Or move it. Or burn it. It’s monstrous.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Luke Kelly died in 1984. I'd imagine those who vandalise the statue - probably the same people each time / from the same group - are young and have no idea who he is.

It's not about Luke Kelly anymore - it's about notoriety. If it makes the news they'll keep doing it.

Some pieces of street sculpture will always be a target for the stupid.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭naughtysmurf

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Luke Kelly died in 1984. I'd imagine those who vandalise the statue - probably the same people each time / from the same group - are young and have no idea who he is.

Some dope in his 40's arrested & charged in connection
    https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0713/1153088-charge-statue-vandalism/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭Gunmonkey

s1ippy wrote: »

And if charged, will most likely get at most a few months in the clink, if not suspended due to "their circumstances.." and all will continue as usual.

Should haul any scrote caught vandalizing it out to clean it everytime its defaced, even if they had no hand in subsequent actions, and keep adding to this group as more are prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,731 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Some dope in his 40's arrested & charged in connection
    https://www.rte.ie/news/dublin/2020/0713/1153088-charge-statue-vandalism/

Well there goes my theory.

zoobizoo wrote: »
    Well there goes my theory.

I doubt it was the same guy though. Kinda depressing that a middle-aged man decided to go out and spray paint a statue. I sure hope his place of employment doesn’t find out about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

In his 40s. Jesus wept. Probably still drinks cans in the park and enjoys the odd joyride.

Sad ****.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

OP, it's 'Luke Jelly' not 'Like Kelly'.

• Advertisement

Bowie wrote: »
    OP, it's 'Luke Jelly' not 'Like Kelly'.

Go duck yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Go duck yourself.

You could have pleaded California Valley girl.
    Like Kelly's head was totally vandalized, OMG ;)

About time they put a camera on it. It's not like they aren't everywhere any way.
    They could even do a web cam. I'm sure many a fan would keep an eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Or move it. Or burn it. It’s monstrous.

I don't agree, I think it's an amazing piece of art, and it should be allowed to stay where it is as a testament to Luke and the Kelly family in peace and left the fcuk alone.

Local lad done good.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Collie D wrote: »
    In his 40s. Jesus wept. Probably still drinks cans in the park and enjoys the odd joyride.

Sad ****.

you'll probably find its some lad who believes it lowers the tone of the area or some such and wants it removed... or as above and will turn up to court in a tracksuit too small.

I sure hope his place of employment doesn’t find out about this.

Ha ha, good one!

I see they will be installing a camera now to watch it. Couple of grand for that. Then naturally the camera will be destroyed time after time so then a couple now Grand to repair and a Garda will be posted to protect the camera, he will be dragged away to deal with other stuff within eye shot and the statue and camera will both be done by 'some non-local'

• Registered Users Posts: 7,800 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I doubt it was the same guy though. Kinda depressing that a middle-aged man decided to go out and spray paint a statue. I sure hope his place of employment doesn’t find out about this.

Sign of the times! #Prince
    Plenty of middle aged guys and gals getting plaudits all over the world for destroying statues currently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Ultima Thule

Why are taxpayers funding CCTV for a statue of a musician. FFS. Hopefully we might hear what the guys gripe is with the statues now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

Why are taxpayers funding CCTV for a statue of a musician. FFS. Hopefully we might hear what the guys gripe is with the statues now.

Because it's the taxpayer's statue and if it is defaced the taxpayer would like those responsible to be caught and prosecuted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Mysterypunter

Bronze lives matter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

That sculpture itself is an act of vandalism. It's like a toilet brush with eyes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,275 ✭✭✭Hamsterchops

https://www.thejournal.ie/man-charged-vandalism-luke-kelly-statue-5149198-Jul2020/

Why do the Sheriff Street locals keep doing this? Shouldn’t they be proud?

Tis an awful shame and they should be proud, but maybe the head is a bit too big and target like!

It looks enormous, and it's at ground level I think. Time to move it to somewhere safer from attack.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Didn't know you could get spray paint dole allowance.
    Interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Dante7 wrote: »
    Because it's the taxpayer's statue and if it is defaced the taxpayer would like those responsible to be caught and prosecuted.

This particular taxpayer would rather the money was spent on something actually useful, structural or at least artistically appealing.

• Registered Users Posts: 82,824 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Sad ****.

They should hold the court cases live on tv for these clowns, ostrocise them form their community.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,056 ✭✭✭✭neris

They should hold the court cases live on tv for these clowns, ostrocise them form their community.

They have them on TV these lads probably go back into their area as a hero and celebrity

• Registered Users Posts: 266 ✭✭markfinn

Sounds counterproductive tbh...

"Look Ma! I'm on da telly!"
    "Well done! Always knew da day would come!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

markfinn wrote: »
    Sounds counterproductive tbh...

"Look Ma! I'm on da telly!"
    "Well done! Always knew da day would come!"

QFT, the worst, most trashy low level anti social nuisances would love the notoriety.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,379 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

This genius was due in court this morning. Anyone see a report? Curious as to what kind of goon he is and where he's from.

Overaged waster with nothing better to do than vandalise property, blow-in yuppie who doesn't like the statue, disgruntled country person who hates all things Dublin?

The last option probably least likely given the colour of the paint.

Place your bets

This genius was due in court this morning. Anyone see a report? Curious as to what kind of goon he is and where he's from.

Overaged waster with nothing better to do than vandalise property, blow-in yuppie who doesn't like the statue, disgruntled country person who hates all things Dublin?

The last option probably least likely given the colour of the paint.

Place your bets

“The court heard that Mr. Blank had consumed a large amount of alcohol on the night in question, but is now off the drink and currently looking for work”

Either that, or he’s “disabled”.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Could he be an art critic?

Advertisement