Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Casual selling handmade furniture

Options
  • 13-07-2020 10:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,897 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

I am interested in a little side gig selling some furniture I make myself however buying materials etc. with VAT and no trade account with suppliers means that there's little margin in it.

I'm considering setting up a business to maybe help with these aspects but wary of opening a can of worms here. I make these things in a small workshop at my house and would sell them online via adverts etc. but if I want to make a legitimate business I presume I'd need to apply for planning would I? I wouldn't have a showroom or drive-in customers, purely online sales only.

Also I expect that business would be very light and low volume, I have a full time job anyway so this would just be turning a hobby into a small side gig. Would this matter in terms of setting up a business? I'd expect turnover to be in the region of €1k - €2k per month max.

I'm possibly over thinking this whole thing anyway and might just be easier to keep things as they are but no harm exploring the option. Anything I should know or be aware of before starting this process?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Maybe talk to an accountant? Ideally the kind you can give a bottle of whiskey to in return for a bit of basic advice :)

Planning - probably not needed though you might want to check if there's any specific rules where you live. Most of the restrictions are to stop people having lots of extra cars / vans etc blocking traffic in housing estates

VAT - you won't meet the threshold immediately, so registering isn't needed and would probably cause you more headaches than anything else

I'd recommend you keep track of all the expenses / sales etc

There is probably a tax implication, but again the accountant friend could probably give you some guidance.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,043 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

you can register as a sole trader (will need to register for income tax and file annual form 11), and possibly register a business name if you want.

in respect of vat, i wouldn't bother registering until you reach the threshold.

you may want to look into some sort of liability insurance, if the chair/whatever breaks.

set up a separate bank account to track expenses.

i think go for it! if you enjoy it, why not try to make a little something from it? add on whatever % on top of the cost of materials and see if people are interested.

Advertisement