Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Grange GC

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭newindublin

GreeBo wrote: »
    Grange has a longer driving range (250M vs 210M) has a 6 hole, full length academy course, an approach short game range, a chipping/bunker practice green and a large putting green.
    Whats missing?:confused:

You are killing me!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,533 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Plenty of guys from Rathfarnham, Terenure, Knocklyon neck of the woods are members down in Castlewarden. A number of the founders were based that direction as far as j know.

It would be about a 20-25 min drive from Terenure I reckon.

Happy to bring you out for a round some day if you'd like to give it a try. Not as mature as the likes of Grange, it's only about 30 years old, but no hills to hike like in stackstown.

Also has a range and chipping/putting area.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭maddness

Grange is a great course, not long at all but very tight with a great variety of holes and plays a lot tougher than the par suggests. Always in great condition too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭nw1dqsv7amx026

Plenty of guys from Rathfarnham, Terenure, Knocklyon neck of the woods are members down in Castlewarden. A number of the founders were based that direction as far as j know.

It would be about a 20-25 min drive from Terenure I reckon.

Happy to bring you out for a round some day if you'd like to give it a try. Not as mature as the likes of Grange, it's only about 30 years old, but no hills to hike like in stackstown.

Also has a range and chipping/putting area.

Is there a joining fee for Castlewarden, the location would suit me.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Is there a joining fee for Castlewarden, the location would suit me.

should that not be called "hello money" ?

:D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 336 ✭✭nw1dqsv7amx026

Seve OB wrote: »
    should that not be called "hello money" ?

:D

Cost to my pocket the same irrespective of the name :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

I am a member at Carton House, and recently moved to the South Side (Terenure). Having a look at the map and the courses around, Grange GC would be very convenient, much more so than 30 min to Carton.

Anyone know what the hello money and application process is like these days? I have searched these forums and read lots of older posts but did not see anything from the past few years.

I believe it is €12k entrance fee, all entrance fee money is used on capital projects to improve the course and kept seperate to annual fee.
    It can be spread over 3 years, I think they are closed for membership till Jan.
    Pavillion membership is a good option much cheaper, access to back 6 which are good holes, practise facilities, comps on main course plus reduced fees. Main advantage it has is that you get a GUI which you do not get in the Castle. Also what is paid as Pavillion member comes off entrance fee if you decide to become a full member.
    Other options not seen mentioned there are 2 9 holes nearby one in Columbas (not great) and ballinascorny (not played it). Have friends who are members of lisheen which is good value about 15/20 min drive away.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

The Ballinascorney course was originally known as Oldfield. It became Ballinascorney when the course of that name (in Bohernabreena) first became Dublin City GC and then closed and some members moved to (and I guess took over) Oldfield.

I haven't played Kilmashogue but Ballinascorney/Oldfield is pretty basic. I wouldn't see either as an alternative to Grange. I think Lisheen is more than 20 minutes further away but it's a proper course.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

I've played Kilmashogue a couple of times, its okay but not somewhere I'd want to be a member. Greens aren't great and all fairly small. Some interesting holes though

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭Luckycharm

blue note wrote: »
    What's wrong with calling it "hello money?" is it not basically what an entrance fee is?

It's often a useful way of keeping lower income earners out of clubs too. A lot of clubs with entrance fees don't really need the money. But they want the exclusivity. It's fine having a few come through the junior ranks who might get away with not paying it. But they might not want the local postman or barman getting in. The ratio of jags and mercs to ford's and opels in the car par might change and cheapen the place a bit.

That said, in relation to the club question they seemed really nice. I lived not too far from them in the past and they did a very reasonable evening rate. I played a few times and often ended up playing with members and they were lovely. It's a fine course too, very very traditional parkland was my impression. If you're going to be living in the area for the next 30 years, you could spread the cost over that time frame in your mind if you're trying to justify it.
    The bolded bit is bullsh*t as well, up until a couple of months ago I had an battered 03 Seat Ibizia now I have a slightly bigger 09 car so I could fit the clubs in without having to take out the woods no one gives a sh*t :p
    Also nobody cares who you are and what you do, most members are 2nd/3rd generation members who parents/grandparents were members, sure we even accept Greebo ;-)
    Paul O'Connell was up there playing on Wed behing me, he didn't get over the 12th (if anyone knows it), did see him play a few nice shots later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Rippeditup

Luckycharm wrote: »
    The bolded bit is bullsh*t as well, up until a couple of months ago I had an battered 03 Seat Ibizia now I have a slightly bigger 09 car so I could fit the clubs in without having to take out the woods no one gives a sh*t :p
    Also nobody cares who you are and what you do, most members are 2nd/3rd generation members who parents/grandparents were members, sure we even accept Greebo ;-)
    Paul O'Connell was up there playing on Wed behing me, he didn't get over the 12th (if anyone knows it), did see him play a few nice shots later.

All dealings I have had up there has been a nice bunch of people, as you said its a lot of generational members.

Advertisement