Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

James McClean

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭ForestFire

Where is the irony?

His biggest mistake was turning his back on the UK anthem.

Can you tell me when and why he done this? Was it already after he had received sectarian abuse, with no real support from FA, PFA, club and Peers to fully condemn it?

I looked up the story/video and he had already received abuse before this game and this game was a pre-season friendly club game in the USA.

My thoughts...
    While he initially turned, with all the other players, from facing the stand to facing the end of the pitch, he did not turn his back to the flag (Despite the media headlines), but rather turned back to face the stand as he was initially.

Not sure he realised why they were turning in the first place (maybe he though the USA anthem was first), but I would say he took a neutral stance during the UK anthem and in fact bowed his head to show no disrespect?
    link:- https://www.balls.ie/football/video-did-james-mcclean-really-turn-his-back-on-the-british-national-anthem-301693

But.....

Would this action not be seen as a way to protest his treatment to such sectarian abuse and to highlight this issue as a whole.

Would this protect be similar to Taking a Knee, as done in the USA during the national anthem?

Is it okay for one "world renowned" oppressed people to protest, but not some small minority no one really knows about or cares, because people outside the British isles knows noting about him/them?

Also...
    Funnily enough the live-steam video of the event on YouTube block the audio during the Anthem!!!!...is this in support of James McClean's cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Brits commonly refer to themselves as brits, it’s hardly derogatory if that’s the link you’re attempting to draw.

I find it derogatory the way the Irish use it.

Are you okay with "Micks" and "Paddys"?

• Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

iebamm2580 wrote: »
    https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/sport/james-mcclean-questions-irish-teammates-attitude-to-discrimination-1011015.html

Think mclean makes a fair point in the article., seems to be only discrimination if you are a from certain backgrounds.

FFS, James...

It's not fashionable or cool to highlight your issues

Won't get many likes and high 5s and column inches

It's all global now......BLM n all that.....that is where it's at!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭jm08

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I find it derogatory the way the Irish use it.

Are you okay with "Micks" and "Paddys"?

Personally, I wouldn't get too upset over them.

What do you think of the ''Brit Awards''.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brit_Awards

I don't think there are any ''Mick'' or ''Paddy' Awards

Advertisement