Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apartment Magnetic Lock

Options
  • 14-07-2020 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi Folks ,

Hopefully this is in the right section .
    In my apartment block , the main gate is secured with a magnetic lock on the top left hand corner .
    During the day , the noise associated with the metal face plates closing isn't too noticeable with the ambient noise of the city.

However at night this is very noisy as its basically metal on metal and as the gate is heavy , it causes a further vibration lock after its closed.:(
    This would unfortunately wake you from your sleep .

The gate is fitted with a closer to slow down the closing motion but this still does not fully rectify the problem .

Any suggestions on how i might go about solving this issue ?.
    Could rubber strips be placed on striking plate ? .
    Should the closer be replaced for a heavy duty model ?.

Thanks in advance :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

That looks like a new installation, is there a management company involved there that engaged someone to fit that solution ?

I am not suggesting that you go at it or adjust it because that could break a warranty, there are further adjustments that can be done here. Ideally the gate should close, as it approcahes the mag lock it should be very slow so when it comes within magnetic range, the noise ideally should be clunk type noise rather than a noisy metal on metal loud noise.

If it is new, I would get onto to whoever fitted it to adjust it accordingly and this can hopefully be done in the closer unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 chesby

kub wrote: »
    That looks like a new installation, is there a management company involved there that engaged someone to fit that solution ?

I am not suggesting that you go at it or adjust it because that could break a warranty, there are further adjustments that can be done here. Ideally the gate should close, as it approcahes the mag lock it should be very slow so when it comes within magnetic range, the noise ideally should be clunk type noise rather than a noisy metal on metal loud noise.

If it is new, I would get onto to whoever fitted it to adjust it accordingly and this can hopefully be done in the closer unit.

Thanks for the Reply Kub .
    There is unfortunately , Its just a case now of me trying to convince them that its not the "Wind" rattling the gate that's making that noise :rolleyes: .

Hopefully they wont take too much convincing to send someone out .

I took a good luck at it today it does seem new enough as the gate itself looks quite old so its probably recently been replaced, Id say its a combination of the metal on metal of the Maglock clicking being magnified by the gate itself hanging on a larger metal fence which is resonating/vibrating when being shut. .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,546 ✭✭✭kub

chesby wrote: »
    Thanks for the Reply Kub .
    There is unfortunately , Its just a case now of me trying to convince them that its not the "Wind" rattling the gate that's making that noise :rolleyes: .

Hopefully they wont take too much convincing to send someone out .

I took a good luck at it today it does seem new enough as the gate itself looks quite old so its probably recently been replaced, Id say its a combination of the metal on metal of the Maglock clicking being magnified by the gate itself hanging on a larger metal fence which is resonating/vibrating when being shut. .

It might be an idea to record it on your phone and email it to them, as in release the lock, then open and close the gate.
    Email that to them then also a gate will not rattle especially if there is a proper lock like that matlock fitted to it.

Advertisement