Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sloped Garden Issue

Options
  • 14-07-2020 11:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭

Is it possible to get a sloped garden completely flattened to have a nice normal flat section of grass? I have attached a picture. Is it too steep or would I have to stick to terraces? I would also be interested in how costly this would be? The garden is accessed by two side entrances so only a mini digger I guess could fit. Many thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

That looks like quite a drop assuming you want to go right to the shed end.

Cutting that away would be mean moving a lot of earth and whatever is in the subsoil - a tonne of soil is 1 metre cubed so see if you can estimate how many cubic metres "fit" if it's say a 3 metre cut away at the top end. Looks like about 12 metres wide and 15 metres to the bottom of the steps.

If it's a steep drop you have to consider the integrity of what's left at the back, will it be prone to slippage in our winter rain? If so how to secure it - rockery? timbers driven into the ground?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

As harry said . That looks a big job. Personally I'd go for the terrace look.
    You could make an amazing job out of it. I've a very flat garden and would love some hight so I'm probably a bit bias.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

You could get a levelish area near the house by replacing that lower little 'wall' - push it back and dig it in - with a row of gabions and fill in behind it, but you are going to end up with a slope at the top whatever you do. You would have places where the garden is excavated below the side fences and places where there would be almost no fence showing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Hocus Focus

As harry said . That looks a big job. Personally I'd go for the terrace look.
    You could make an amazing job out of it. I've a very flat garden and would love some hight so I'm probably a bit bias.
    +1. I think it's a very interesting site. Makes a contrast with the flat boring plot that I have.
    A couple of level terraced areas at the top, especially if that section gets the sun, then a bit of slope then another terrace, you could curve the path across the sloped area,perhaps incorporating a second sloped area also with a curved path. Shrubs or rockeries could separate the various sections. If the top section gets the sun you could pave it like a patio.

Advertisement