Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US carries out first Federal Execution since 2003

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

His name was Daniel Lewis Lee
    The condemned prisoner had argued that lethal injections constitute "cruel and unusual punishments".
    But the Supreme Court voted 5-4 that "executions may proceed as planned".

Lee was convicted of torturing and killing a family of three in Arkansas in 1996, dumping their bodies in a lake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

biko wrote: »
    His name was Daniel Lewis Lee
    The condemned prisoner had argued that lethal injections constitute "cruel and unusual punishments".
    But the Supreme Court voted 5-4 that "executions may proceed as planned".

Lee was convicted of torturing and killing a family of three in Arkansas in 1996, dumping their bodies in a lake.

I don't see a problem here. The Left keeps crying about overcrowded jails and our "industrial prison complex", but will turn around and keep **** like this alive.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    I don't see a problem here. The Left keeps crying about overcrowded jails and our "industrial prison complex", but will turn around and keep **** like this alive.

I do see it as a problem. I do not see capital punishment as any real deterant to crime.

I do see it as a problem. I do not see capital punishment as any real deterant to crime.

Neither is prison.

Capital punishment is punishment. That's it.

Ditto. I have no issue with this. I'd be in favor of capital punishment for violent offenders with multiple separate convictions. It's obvious that such people don't want to reform. Just end it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭juice1304

He murdered children and decapitated the family and threw their heads in a buoy, good riddance. All the convicts they have put to death have murdered children.
    What's the issue? You think they deserve to live? You dont think they would also be preditors in prison potentially harming more people of lesser crimes if they were left in the general population?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,510 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I think capital punishment lowers us to their level. It's not a sign of an advanced society.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

I do not see capital punishment as any real deterant to crime.

Maybe, but it sure cuts down on re-offending.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

juice1304 wrote: »
    He murdered children and decapitated the family and threw their heads in a buoy, good riddance. All the convicts they have put to death have murdered children.
    What's the issue? You think they deserve to live? You dont think they would also be preditors in prison potentially harming more people of lesser crimes if they were left in the general population?

Whilst personally I think the world is better without this guy and I have no sympathy for him (assuming what’s been said here is accurate) I think the death sentence is not something countries should have at their disposal. The possibility of killing one innocent person outweighs the killing rather than incarcerating of any number of murderers in my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭Nermal

I think capital punishment lowers us to their level. It's not a sign of an advanced society.

It doesn't, this man was not tortured or murdered. He was killed dispassionately and justly. There is nothing 'primitive' about the death penalty.

Nermal wrote: »
    It doesn't, this man was not tortured or murdered. He was killed dispassionately and justly. There is nothing 'primitive' about the death penalty.

It doesn't matter. Some people want to show how enlightened they are, as opposed to providing real solutions for the worst type of offenders. Objections will be made about the possibility of the innocent being killed... and they won't accept capital punishment in any shape or form.. Which leaves prison time, and they'll ignore that prisons overflow, and criminals get released early, or judges give light sentencing due to the overcrowding prisons.

Prisons are a mechanism to defer dealing with the problem at hand... but that's someone elses problem to deal with (or not, as the case might be).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

We aren't an advanced society, by any means.
    I'd say we're hundreds of years away from that, at least.

Certain psychiatric issues might need genetic correction.
    Maybe even giving people a psychological NCT every year, advanced "brain scans" to detect abhorrent thought patterns... a totalitarian surveillance state to monitor the health and well being of everyone.

So this age of complete freedom is practical anarchy on the street level.
    There's just a thin veneer of population control with police.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

I think life meaning that you never see the light of day again is a better punishment than death. At least a death as peaceful as this guy got. If he was put in the gas chamber or something that might be different

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Gael23 wrote: »

Come back when figure how many Chinese people have been executed for pretty minor crimes

• Registered Users Posts: 2,942 ✭✭✭bmc58

He deserved to die for his crimes.End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,642 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

I'm against the death penalty in all situations. It has nothing to do with rehabilitation, or the potential for innocence.

i just believe that a government shouldn't have the power to take the life of its citizens/residents, no matter what they have done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Objections will be made about the possibility of the innocent being killed...

Well, yeah. It's a pretty huge issue, obviously.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

I believe in capital punishment for the type of crimes he committed. If it was my family I'd ask to trip the switch.

I'm not really a fan of torture, so I do believe a quick death is called for.

Hopefully they sort out their problems regarding the lethal injection and send him on his way.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Hopefully they sort out their problems regarding the lethal injection and send him on his way.

A firing squad would be quick ,humane and a hell of a lot cheaper too

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Gatling wrote: »

It's nasty business regardless of the way it's performed, but it's a necessary evil imo.

Well, yeah. It's a pretty huge issue, obviously.

Which is why I said repeat offenders. Narrows down the chance dramatically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Queasy Tadpole

I think life meaning that you never see the light of day again is a better punishment than death. At least a death as peaceful as this guy got. If he was put in the gas chamber or something that might be different
    Last I read on lethal injection it's insanely painful. They essentially render you paralyzed and then inject a chemical into you that causes a sensation of your entire body being on fire until you eventually stop breathing. It's messed up.

I'm against the death penalty but if they are going to do it, it should be quick and painless yet most Americans want the condemned to suffer.

Should be outlawed worldwide.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Which is why I said repeat offenders. Narrows down the chance dramatically.

Repeat mass murderers, or just crime in general before the one that "justifies" the death penalty? Because I don't want mass murderers getting out of jail to reoffend in the first place.

The softy approach here hasn't done a blessed thing to deter crime. Maybe there are times when we need to get medieval.

Last I read on lethal injection it's insanely painful.

Considering these assholes took a life [or lives] in the most violent way possible you won't see me losing sleep or shedding a tear if the scumbags have to suffer a bit on the way out. Hell, bring back the electric chair and really make them suffer.

Gatling wrote: »

Hell, mess with them for a bit by missing a few shots.

"Sorry about that shot lad. Good news though is you won't be needing them where you're going."

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

The softy approach here hasn't done a blessed thing to deter crime. Maybe there are times when we need to get medieval.

Was murder not around in medieval times? Murders have always happened and death sentences have never stopped them, America has a higher murder rate than plenty of countries that don’t have death sentences so it’s obviously doing absolutely nothing to deter people. You can be for death sentences as a punishment but as a deterrent there’s nothing to suggest it works.

salmocab wrote: »
    Was murder not around in medieval times? Murders have always happened and death sentences have never stopped them, America has a higher murder rate than plenty of countries that don’t have death sentences so it’s obviously doing absolutely nothing to deter people. You can be for death sentences as a punishment but as a deterrent there’s nothing to suggest it works.

And there's nothing to suggest that the softy approach here has worked. Just a revolving door of repeat offenders. There will always be bad [and downright evil] people in this world. The key to a peaceful society is to keep the number of bad to a minimum.

Maybe, but it sure cuts down on re-offending.

It also results in innocent people being executed which is not something you can turn the clock back. Around 4% of defendant are potentially innocent of the crimes they're being executed for. So it's a necessarily evil to kill some innocent people on top of the guilty people?

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2014/apr/28/death-penalty-study-4-percent-defendants-innocent

Repeat mass murderers, or just crime in general before the one that "justifies" the death penalty? Because I don't want mass murderers getting out of jail to reoffend in the first place.

now you're shifting goalposts... justifies... a different situation entirely. Which is the point, isn't it?

Rather than deal with what I said, you introduce justifications and mass murderers. Perhaps keep to what I talked about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

How are we supposed to read the article when its behind a paywall?

Fortunately some posters here have informed us that he was a child killer so society is better off with him gone.

Advertisement