Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

US carries out first Federal Execution since 2003

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

now you're shifting goalposts... justifies... a different situation entirely. Which is the point, isn't it?

Rather than deal with what I said, you introduce justifications and mass murderers. Perhaps keep to what I talked about?

How is trying to ascertain details regarding "repeat offenders", which you mentioned, shifting the goalposts?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

osarusan wrote: »
    I'm against the death penalty in all situations. It has nothing to do with rehabilitation, or the potential for innocence.

i just believe that a government shouldn't have the power to take the life of its citizens/residents, no matter what they have done.

I have no problem with an appeal. Unless the crime is so extreme and the evidence in indisputable. After that appeal you better have some actual evidence for another one.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,974 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

So a sadistic murder is put to sleep(If the PC brigade can use misleading language on subjects so can I), Good, someone like this has already committed the ultimate crime and needs to be removed from society as they are too much of a risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,364 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    And there's nothing to suggest that the softy approach here has worked. Just a revolving door of repeat offenders. There will always be bad [and downright evil] people in this world. The key to a peaceful society is to keep the number of bad to a minimum.
    You suggested going medieval I pointed out that it didn’t work, I didn’t say revolving door of offenders works which isn’t really the same anyway as I doubt there are too many people who are jailed for murder who get out and offend again as in general their sentences are quite long even then that wouldn’t be a revolving door. Neither method works but there isn’t just two options.

• Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

The only annoying thing here is that it took 21 years for this waste of space to be killed off, how much did it cost to keep this f€€ker alive. 100s of thousands.
    Oh and giving this guy a peaceful death is nothing on the level of what he did to that family how dare who ever said it was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Lefties gotta left

Good riddance to these animals. Id love to see it here in Eire.

• Registered Users Posts: 991 ✭✭✭TuringBot47

Showing compassion to those who don't deserve it or acknowledge their guilt is the ultimate sign of weakness.

If we were all pacifists then the Nazis would've won World War II.
    Killing/force is required to cleanse the weeds of human society.

In fact, I'd argue corporal punishment is required for lower level crime... criminals only respect pain and fear... not a comfy prison cell with TV, gym equipment and playing drop the soap with their pals.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,114 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

How are we supposed to read the article when its behind a paywall?

Fortunately some posters here have informed us that he was a child killer so society is better off with him gone.

Is death a better punishment than a life sentence meaning you never see the light of day again.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,583 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Gael23 wrote: »
    Is death a better punishment than a life sentence meaning you never see the light of day again.

Whats the point in keeping a creature like that alive, feeding him and looking after his health needs for a few decades more?

Whats the point in keeping a creature like that alive, feeding him and looking after his health needs for a few decades more?

It pacifies the lefty douchebags!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 56,343 ✭✭✭✭walshb

I do see it as a problem. I do not see capital punishment as any real deterant to crime.

We can’t prove if it deters crime or does not...It’s too subjective and complexed.

Humans will always kill. Some years will see more homicides than others...

It’s just another punishment. One I have no issue with..

What does, or should deter crime are far tougher sentences for criminals for certain types crimes..in Ireland we don’t impose these sentences at all..

The U.S. is a whole other ball game. Millions of more people, states, laws, ethnicities etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Lefties gotta left

Good riddance to these animals. Id love to see it here in Eire.

Do you seriously go around calling the country Eire? Are you a Tory MP from the 1950s?

I don't see a problem here. The Left keeps crying about overcrowded jails and our "industrial prison complex", but will turn around and keep **** like this alive.

'The left' want non-violent drug offenders released. i.e people serving donkey years for having a bit of weed.

That would free up plenty of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,897 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

I don't see a problem here. The Left keeps crying about overcrowded jails and our "industrial prison complex", but will turn around and keep **** like this alive.

And The Right moans about killers while lauding those Americans who carry out killings against poor brown skinned people in the Middle East.

Are people on here who support the death penalty old enough to remember the Birmingham Six?

Yurt! wrote: »
    Do you seriously go around calling the country Eire? Are you a Tory MP from the 1950s?

I'm sorry you cant speak your own native tongue.

Interesting how the ultra left try to deflect sensible conversation and debate too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

And there's nothing to suggest that the softy approach here has worked. Just a revolving door of repeat offenders. There will always be bad [and downright evil] people in this world. The key to a peaceful society is to keep the number of bad to a minimum.

Actually there’s plenty of evidence that the criminal justice system here is better that the US.

One statistic, murder rate per 100,000:
    US=5.3
    Ireland=0.9

That took me about 20 seconds to find. It’s crystal clear that the death penalty isn’t a deterrent.

On your “evil people” hypothesis, the number of irredeemably evil people is so small it’s statistically insignificant. Most murderers are a product of environment and not born that way. Even with psychopaths, the majority function well as part of society without ever becoming murderers.

Crime is a social problem, punishment doesn’t solve it.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 11,474 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Most states have now got rid of the death penalty or it's almost never used.

I don't agree with it because it's extremely expensive(capital trials and appeals processes are the most costly to the state, not to mention special housing and carrying out the execution itself), so much so that states have gone bankrupt from the death penalty.

It's also not a deterrent, states with the death penalty have the highest rated of violent crime and then the possibility of executing an innocent person, which although now is unlikely, still has happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

Pkiernan wrote: »
    I'm sorry you cant speak your own native tongue.

Interesting how the ultra left try to deflect sensible conversation and debate too.

Yes. Ultra-left, that's me *thumbs up champ* All power to the Soviets and all that.

Try to call the country Eire at the water cooler the next time and watch as people laugh at you. As I said, the only people who refer to it as that are mustached Sandhurst types and pensioned-off Tories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭joseywhales

Brian? wrote: »
    Actually there’s plenty of evidence that the criminal justice system here is better that the US.

One statistic, murder rate per 100,000:
    US=5.3
    Ireland=0.9

That took me about 20 seconds to find. It’s crystal clear that the death penalty isn’t a deterrent.

On your “evil people” hypothesis, the number of irredeemably evil people is so small it’s statistically insignificant. Most murderers are a product of environment and not born that way. Even with psychopaths, the majority function well as part of society without ever becoming murderers.

Crime is a social problem, punishment doesn’t solve it.

Not to mention the ridiculously subjective judgement of what constitutes 'irredeemably evil' and what perfect incorruptible human should wield that power.

Advertisement