Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green List (Who will be on it?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

DarHan84 wrote: »
    Josepha Madigan just tweeted at 2352 that it's still essential travel only

So what do they propose to do regarding inward travel as opposed to to returning essential travellers/ holiday makers?

All I can see so far is a form of passenger locator being moved online and random airport testing.

If the whole idea is to halt/slow transmission there ought to be a red list made up of countries not on the green list :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Feria40 wrote: »
    So what do they propose to do regarding inward travel as opposed to to returning essential travellers/ holiday makers?

All I can see so far is a form of passenger locator being moved online and random airport testing.

If the whole idea is to halt/slow transmission there ought to be a red list made up of countries not on the green list :pac:

If it is not on green list, then it effectively defaults to a red list and you are supposed to do a 14 day quarantine.

The conditions do not distinguish between return or one-way trips for example. All that is necessary is that you are coming into the country from one of those countries. Whether you were there for 1 day or 1 year or 10 years does not matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭T.V Eye

How can we travel to Gib without entering Spain or mainland UK for another flight.

Greenland? ffs, bunch of clowns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Josepha Madigan just tweeted at 0002 that it’s Normal Precautions and has deleted her tweet of 2352 :pac:

T.V Eye wrote: »
    How can we travel to Gib without entering Spain or mainland UK for another flight.

Greenland? ffs, bunch of clowns.

Do you not have a private jet?

• Advertisement

If it is not on green list, then it effectively defaults to a red list and you are supposed to do a 14 day quarantine.

You mean restrict your movements for 14 days? Sorry :pac:

That's the whole problem though with the whole thing isn't it.. supposed to , advised to etc.

Also suppose you are an incoming tourist as opposed to someone returning from abroad ( i.e. taking return to work out of the equation), are you not a reasonably low risk..hear me out.

The pubs are closed, masks are required on public transport, soon to be required in shops/shopping centers and tables at restaurants are supposed to be at least 1 meter apart for the max 1.5 hours that you spend there.

Excluding the absolute basket case countries like Brazil and the USA are the above precautions not enough

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭T.V Eye

Do you not have a private jet?

I left it in Monaco

EB_2013 wrote: »
    When did Gibraltar suddenly become a country?

My thoughts exactly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Just like swings then.

You mean restrict your movements for 14 days? Sorry :pac:

That's the whole problem though with the whole thing isn't it.. supposed to , advised to etc.

Well unless they are going to lock people up then that is really all that they can do.

After that it is up to personal responsibility. Some people will ignore it and take advantage and some will respect it and follow it. Same as any other law - be it paying for your groceries or not fly-tipping your rubbish at the side of a road.

• Advertisement

T.V Eye wrote: »
    I left it in Monaco

Ah I hate when that happens. You fly away for the weekend. Go a bit mad on the drink and leave the jet there rather than risk drunk flying home. At least you remember where you parked it this time ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭Scuid Mhór

I can absolutely understand why Greenland made it onto the Green List. That to me seems intuitive. But what are all of these other countries doing on that list???

• Registered Users Posts: 3,094 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

North Korea not on the list and not even a single case in the country, a joke of a list.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

The RTE aricle makes no sense. So the green list is for countries where non easential travel is ok, but the official advice remains not to travel for non essential purposes anywhere. So.....

I hope this incompetence is never ever forgotten.

North Korea not on the list and not even a single case in the country, a joke of a list.

Biggest shock for me is no New Zealand!! The place has been given enough airtime in the past few weeks :P

• Registered Users Posts: 23,508 ✭✭✭✭ted1

EB_2013 wrote: »
    When did Gibraltar suddenly become a country?

backdoor to the Costa, disgraceful political and lobbiest influences.

Serious question, if I fly from say Thailand to Finland, and then on to Ireland, do I have to do 14 days quarantine?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Serious question, if I fly from say Thailand to Finland, and then on to Ireland, do I have to do 14 days quarantine?

It depends if you are just transiting or actually enter Finland

ted1 wrote: »
    backdoor to the Costa, disgraceful political and lobbiest influences.

Take off your tinfoil hat or your kidding? Hardly a back door when the only way to get there is by flying via Spain or the UK.. neither of which are on the list!

Ps as you mention Costa's you will know that case numbers have been very low in the South of Spain for sometime now.

There was a large spike in the southern (but inland) city of Cordoba last week with over 80 cases. All of which were then quickly traced back to one nightclub

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

The_Brood wrote: »
    The RTE aricle makes no sense. So the green list is for countries where non easential travel is ok, but the official advice remains not to travel for non essential purposes anywhere. So.....

It seems like most people have long moved on from following the incompetent government advice. I've been back in my office over a month in Dublin city centre and met up with people, obviously interacted with colleagues, been in cafes etc and it really seems like it is just keyboard warriors and civil service paper pushers still concerned about covid in Ireland.

I've my flights to Germany booked the 2nd week in August, time to get away for a well earned break. The green list published is a complete joke unless it was accompanied by a ban on UK and US flights. Without such a ban then I have zero respect for the governemt's handling of covid and won't be following any more ridiculous guidance.

• Advertisement

The_Brood wrote: »

No. Green list is a list of countries which have similar or less rate of new cases over the past 2 weeks. If you travel from those countries you do not have to do a 14 day quarantine.

Public health advice is not to travel unless necessary.

Earlier in pandemic, if you had to travel from Galway to Dublin you didn't have to quarantine. But you were still not supposed to make non-essential trips. It is the same here.

Transiting, I presume that will be in the finer print later? Looks like a couple of grand down the drain for me so.

Leaving the morals aside (just say) is someone really going to go through your flight history if you only put your country of departure down as Finland on the locator form?

It seems like most people have long moved on from following the incompetent government advice. I've been back in my office over a month in Dublin city centre and met up with people, obviously interacted with colleagues, been in cafes etc and it really seems like it is just keyboard warriors and civil service paper pushers still concerned about covid in Ireland.

I've my flights to Germany booked the 2nd week in August, time to get away for a well earned break. The green list published is a complete joke unless it was accompanied by a ban on UK and US flights. Without such a ban then I have zero respect for the governemt's handling of covid and won't be following any more ridiculous guidance.

You have the privilege of doing those things precisely because most people have been following the rules. If your attitude becomes more widespread, then numbers will go up and you won't be able to do them any more.

Take off your tinfoil hat or your kidding? Hardly a back door when the only way to get there is by flying via Spain or the UK.. neither of which are on the list!

Ps as you mention Costa's you will know that case numbers have been very low in the South of Spain for sometime now.

There was a large spike in the southern (but inland) city of Cordoba last week with over 80 cases. All of which were then quickly traced back to one nightclub
    The Costa will have very little Spanish and a lot of British. These are the British who don’t get tested and will have it. So the results will be skewed

Yes it’s a back door, I can guarantee you that Ryanair and Aer Lingus are looking to secure landing slots as we speak

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

Decision time for me now, should I change my flights to Alicante 2nd week of August to a country on the green list. In Alicante I'll be staying in a private house with access to a car so very limited contact with anyone outside of my group but face a 14 quarantine which won't go down well in work.

Or change flights to Greece or similar but book into a hotel which will mean more contact with others but should be ok with work now they're on the green list.

I'd feel safer in Spain but can't afford 2 additional weeks off work and little chance of getting them to agree to the additional time off

DFA have a different mandate. That advice would pertain to what happens when you are over there and to the status "on the ground" over there.

However, public health advice is not to travel unless necessary

Let me use a simple example to make clear. Earlier in the pandemic, if you lived in Dublin, they did not want you traveling to your holiday home in Clare.
    However the advised precautions for people who lived in Clare was the same as those advised for the people who lived in Dublin.

In this case, DFA advises that the same precautions are needed on the ground in Italy (think Clare in example above) as are needed in Dublin. But the public health people still don't want you to travel there.

Dfa advice is not to make non essential travel

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭RoryMac

No. Green list is a list of countries which have similar or less rate of new cases over the past 2 weeks. If you travel from those countries you do not have to do a 14 day quarantine.

Public health advice is not to travel unless necessary.

Earlier in pandemic, if you had to travel from Galway to Dublin you didn't have to quarantine. But you were still not supposed to make non-essential trips. It is the same here.

Is the public health advice not to travel? The wording I'm seeing about green list countries is "take normal precautions"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,969 ✭✭✭Assetbacked

You have the privilege of doing those things precisely because most people have been following the rules. If your attitude becomes more widespread, then numbers will go up and you won't be able to do them any more.

Keyboard warrior spouting fear and hysteria based on nothing other than a self-righteous, unhealthy hypochondriac attitude.

Case numbers are irrelevant. The same numbers get infected, we just want to manage the cases that need treatment. Our decision makers' utter hypocrisy and inconsistency means, if you have half a brain (and with a username such as yours, I wonder), you just need to look at the data and make your own mind up. Our hospitals are empty.

• Advertisement

RoryMac wrote: »
    Decision time for me now, should I change my flights to Alicante 2nd week of August to a country on the green list. In Alicante I'll be staying in a private house with access to a car so very limited contact with anyone outside of my group but face a 14 quarantine which won't go down well in work.

Or change flights to Greece or similar but book into a hotel which will mean more contact with others but should be ok with work now they're on the green list.

I'd feel safer in Spain but can't afford 2 additional weeks off work and little chance of getting them to agree to the additional time off

Don't forget that this green list is not set in stone. Even if there is no uproar over the coming few days (unlikely), it will be changed in 2 weeks time, and again a further two weeks after that. Which I assume might still be before you return. Greece might be on it now, but might not in the next version.

Advertisement