Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green List (Who will be on it?)

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

mikekerry wrote: »
    Was due to fly to lanzarote in Sept.
    Tried to change flights to next year and Ryanair are looking for an extra 500 euro for change flights fee for a family .
    What a joke.
    Screwed by the government and the airlines

If they are flying then go. Travel. The family can restrict movements afterwards as best they can.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭Ray Donovan

Tried to change flights to next year and Ryanair are looking for an extra 500 euro for change flights fee for a family .
    What a joke.

Kids would miss a lot of school then if the Spain is still not on the Green List. 1 week holidays and 2 weeks restricted movement.

That's a disaster for ye. Of course you could still go if you so choose.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Batesout wrote: »
    Yep got an email this morning stating that it was cancelled.

Must have been a commercial call, not enough seats paid for to make it worthwhile. Went onto the aerlingus app and all other obvious routes like Lanzarote, Malaga, Alicante etc seem unaffected

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

If they are flying then go. Travel. The family can restrict movements afterwards as best they can.

One family member is working in public service and was told they have to take 2 weeks unpaid leave or 2 weeks annual leave after they get back as it isn't on the green list.
    Snookered every way

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭GalwayBmw

How does it work exactly? I can spend 2 weeks in Spain and on my way back fly to Rome and from there to Dublin. Or book my flights from and to Belfast. Does the approach totally rely on a self discipline?

On an unrelated note - my wife works in a public sector and a couple of days ago she had a casual talk with one of her colleagues, who simply said that her brother, a london based nurse, flew to Dublin for a week to visit her. What's the big deal, huh? Thinking of how pretentious the measures are doesn't really make many to follow it.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

GalwayBmw wrote: »
    How does it work exactly? I can spend 2 weeks in Spain and on my way back fly to Rome and from there to Dublin. Or book my flights from and to Belfast. Does the approach totally rely on a self discipline?

On an unrelated note - my wife works in a public sector and a couple of days ago she had a casual talk with one of her colleagues, who simply said that her brother, a london based nurse, flew to Dublin for a week to visit her. What's the big deal, huh? Thinking of how pretentious the measures are doesn't really make many to follow it.

Tell your colleagues your going to Italy. Fly to Spain,.come back via Belfast or a green list country.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭GalwayBmw

Limpy wrote: »
    Tell your colleagues your going to Italy. Fly to Spain,.come back via Belfast or a green list country.

That's what I'm saying in absence of controls people will do this so they will, which will turn the whole thing into a complete joke.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭polarbearhead

We booked our flights to tenerife last December. Just shy of €1000. The government are giving the airlines some easy ride in relation to this aspect of the whole thing

GalwayBmw wrote: »
    Here's what I'm saying in absence of controls people will do this so they will, which will turn the whole thing into a complete joke.

Its a joke anyways, Schengen citizens are told Carry on and take usual precautions. Ireland says only a few Schengen are permitted even tho any EU citizen from any Schengen country can travel to Ireland without quarentine. Just be sure to use Green Airports. Load of ****e

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

Part of the reason is they want to keep holidaymakers to holiday here to boost the economy. They don't give a damn if people are losing money on flights. They won't be getting a cent from me

• Advertisement

One family member is working in public service and was told they have to take 2 weeks unpaid leave or 2 weeks annual leave after they get back as it isn't on the green list.
    Snookered every way

35 a head each way to change destination. Ryanair fly to Greece. Get your trip away - ye need and want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Snookered every way

Think you will find its 2 weeks green list or not! As long as the government is saying essential travel only that wont change

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

We booked our flights to tenerife last December. Just shy of €1000. The government are giving the airlines some easy ride in relation to this aspect of the whole thing

Just go, its safer there than here. Just be sensible & adhere to the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

Think you will find its 2 weeks green list or not! As long as the government is saying essential travel only that wont change

where did they say it was 2 weeks green list or not?

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭polarbearhead

Batesout wrote: »
    Just go, its safer there than here. Just be sensible & adhere to the advice.

Caught with the public sector worker quarantine issue

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Dave 101 wrote: »
    where did they say it was 2 weeks green list or not?

The directive is any travel outside the country has 2 week quarantine on return. You cannot work from home and it is either annual leave or unpaid and is at the discretion of the manager as to whether the service can be covered for 3 or 4 weeks. The publication of the list hasn't changed that directive. It may at some point but at the moment that's what it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,298 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Snookered every way

Your family member is under no obligation to tell their employer what they are doing in their private time.

The directive is any travel outside the country has 2 week quarantine on return. You cannot work from home and it is either annual leave or unpaid and is at the discretion of the manager as to whether the service can be covered for 3 or 4 weeks. The publication of the list hasn't changed that directive. It may at some point but at the moment that's what it is.

Where does it say that?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

the directive was based on the government advise to avoid non-essential travel but there are exemptions now

In accordance with Government policy, which is based on official public health advice, the Department of Foreign Affairs continues to advise against non-essential travel overseas. This includes Great Britain but does not apply to Northern Ireland. It also includes all travel by cruise ship. However, as of 21 July, travel to a very limited set of locations is exempted from this advice. The security status for those locations to which non-essential travel can resume has been changed to ‘normal precautions’ (“green”) rating. Individuals arriving in Ireland from these locations will not be required to restrict their movements on arrival. These locations are:

Cyprus
    Estonia
    Finland
    Gibraltar
    Greece
    Greenland
    Hungary
    Italy
    Latvia
    Lithuania
    Malta
    Norway
    Monaco
    San Marino
    Slovakia

they could probably still tell you to stay at home if you went to a green list country but they would have to pay you

• Advertisement

I'm conscious that I have prefaced a few of my posts lately by saying: "leaving morals aside for the moment"

But just how will anyone know what you do or where you go during your annual leave unless YOU decide to tell them?

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Where does it say that?

Here is a link to the hse memo, the wording is no doubt similar across the public service
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/resources/hr-circulars/hr-circular-049-2020-leave-arrangements-for-employees-who-return-from-non-essential-travel-overseas-covid-19.html
    No mention of green list in the current memo, of course it may be updated but this applies until it is updated.

Feria40 wrote: »
    I'm conscious that I have prefaced a few of my posts lately by saying: "leaving morals aside for the moment"

But just how will anyone know what you do or where you go during your annual leave unless YOU decide to tell them?

They rely on people who are going to lose hundreds or thousands in some cases to be honest.

Minier81 wrote: »
    Here is a link to the hse memo, the wording is no doubt similar across the public service
    https://www.hse.ie/eng/staff/resources/hr-circulars/hr-circular-049-2020-leave-arrangements-for-employees-who-return-from-non-essential-travel-overseas-covid-19.html
    No mention of green list in the current memo, of course it may be updated but this applies until it is updated.

Is there a definition of 'essential' travel hidden in there?

Like most Irish people I have lots of family located all over the world, who is to say how close I am or am not to any of them?

Who's to say how desolately in need of company they are?

( read again with the preface of forgetting moral rights/wrongs)

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

Is there a definition of 'essential' travel hidden in there?

Like most Irish people I have lots of family located all over the world, who is to say how close I am or am not to any of them?

Who's to say how desolately in need of company they are?

( read again with the preface of forgetting moral rights/wrongs)

No definition of essential travel!

I would wonder how legal it is. I suspect it aims only to deter. And I say that as someone with no intention to travel for til mid 2021 so it doesn't affect me.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

So is the revised list of “green” countries due to be announced on Tuesday 4th August, right after the bank holiday, assuming its based on cumulative cases over a 2 week period as previously stated?

I agree. Sadly the unions are doing what the unions do best, pandering to management and taking the crumb they get thrown as a victory until someone kicks up. Luckily I have heard a number of staff have lodged complains across the public sector.

I foresee that directive being challenged and turfed out as in anyone that did travel will get the pay / leave back.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭tonysopprano

As per Algorythm 1 July 2020

A member of staff has Returned from travel outside the island of Ireland

The staff member must not to attend the workplace.

The member of staff must

1. self-isolate for 14 days inclusive.
    2. Restriction of movement information is available from: https://www2.hse.ie/conditions/coronavirus/travel.html
    3. Travel information is available from: https://www.dfa.ie/travel/travel-advice/coronavirus/
    4. All staff returning from travel abroad must ensure they have preapproved annual leave for the 14 days following a return from travel.

5. Travel documentations may be required to support an application.

Where a staff member is intending to travel abroad, he/she must ensure that they have made arrangements with their local Detail Office/HR Governor on extended annual leave to facilitate the requirement to self-isolate for 14 days on their return. Any changes in this regard will be notified to all HR Governors and Detail Offices.

If you can do the job, do it. If you can't do the job, just teach it. If you really suck at it, just become a union executive or politician.

• Registered Users Posts: 86,256 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

What a joke.

When did you book? I'm curious

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,431 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

In a previous job I had, there was one person who prided himself on always coming to work, even if he was dying of something like the flu. He couldn't get it into his head that he shouldn't be coming in when sick and spreading it. He thought he was doing a great thing and being a hero if he arrived into the office coughing and spluttering and dying of the flu. He also used to make sure to go around to everyone and make it obvious how sick he was - presumably so that in his head he assumed that they would think "wow, fair play to him for coming into work. That's dedication".

Everyone else just thought he was being a selfish arsehole.

You might be able to find some legal way to challenge an employer directive and prevent them from making you take extra leave, but most other people in your work will think you are that arsehole. And on the off chance that you do bring corona in, it would never be forgotten.

Advertisement