Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green List (Who will be on it?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭xvril

Limpy wrote: »
    That begrudgery is a part of Irish culture sadly.

Makes me sick.

The test on return should be considered though. Surely other parents can have no complaints if Jnr returns to school with a negative test result.

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

xvril wrote: »
    Makes me sick.

The test on return should be considered though. Surely other parents can have no complaints if Jnr returns to school with a negative test result.

But there is a huge false negatives rate so a negative test is not necessarily reassuring.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭Feria40

Minier81 wrote: »
    But there is a huge false negatives rate so a negative test is not necessarily reassuring.

This.

The current tests are very far from fool proof.

Dr Ray Wally was in with Matt Cooper a few weeks back and advised that he was certain that some of his patients that tested negative did have Covid.

It does make you exempt from self-isolating though.

It does make you exempt from self-isolating though.

True but as far as I know we do not have any 'walk in' test centres where for a reasonable fee one could get tested.

The only other way is to call a GP with some "symptoms" and get yourself a test.

Edit. why do we not have such centres? Apparently one of the benefits of the original lockdown was to give time to get testing capacity ramped up.

Edit (sorry for all the edits) I do recall some reports though that suggested that the rate of detection was so low as to make the exercise redundant.

But surely we could have some continues and very targeted testing

• Advertisement

Feria40 wrote: »
    True but as far as I know we do not have any 'walk in' test centres where for a reasonable fee one could get tested.

The only other way is to call a GP with some "symptoms" and get yourself a test.

Edit. why do we not have such centres? Apparently one of the benefits of the original lockdown was to give time to get testing capacity ramped up.

Edit (sorry for all the edits) I do recall some reports though that suggested that the rate of detection was so low as to make the exercise redundant.

But surely we could have some continues and very targeted testing

I tried to get a test the other day because I was in a number of premises that are now closed due to covid outbreaks with staff. I couldn't get one because I have no symptoms.

You can pay for tests, Randox have a version they deliver to your house and you post back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,548 ✭✭✭siochain

In the independent it states

People living in Kildare, Offaly and Laois will be put under a partial lockdown for the next two weeks.
    There will be garda checkpoints monitoring citizens movement around Kildare, Offaly and Laois, to prevent people leaving the locked down counties.

So what if someone from one of those’s counties needs to get to the airport? Can the be prevented from doing so?

I tried to get a test the other day because I was in a number of premises that are now closed due to covid outbreaks with staff. I couldn't get one because I have no symptoms.

You can pay for tests, Randox have a version they deliver to your house and you post back to them.

£120 sterling though. I was thinking more along the line of €25 -€50. Wishful thinking I guess!

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Minier81

siochain wrote: »
    So what if someone from one of those’s counties needs to get to the airport? Can the be prevented from doing so?

Was wondering this myself too, will anyone travelling from these counties have to nm prove why their journey is essential? And prove it to who, a garda checkpoint, at the airport?

Feria40 wrote: »
    £120 sterling though. I was thinking more along the line of €25 -€50. Wishful thinking I guess!

I think they are available in other countries for like €25, not sure why that isn't an option here. £120 isn't bad when you may be losing a couple of grand on a holiday.

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

We've popped over Germany. It'll be good to see them added to the list albeit for 2 week's only.

We could pass the UK rate Which will be fair embarrassing.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭VG31

We've popped over Germany. It'll be good to see them added to the list albeit for 2 week's only.

Even if the UK is only slightly ahead of us they should add them to the green list. They're more important than any other country considering the amount of people who have family there.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

VG31 wrote: »
    Even if the UK is only slightly ahead of us they should add them to the green list. They're more important than any other country considering the amount of people who have family there.

Definitely. Travel is getting a bad rap but we know where all the trouble is.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,692 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

I don't think Ireland would be on that "Green List" now after today's numbers... Wouldn't surprise me if other EU countries demanded clear tests before arrival or testing for all passengers from Ireland now at the airport of arrival....
    And indeed other countries outside the EU adding Ireland to their "Red list"...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

How does the government expect this to work though? They add a country to the green list on a Monday, and so people drop everything and book immediately right away to travel there within the next two weeks, manage to indeed fly out and come back within those two weeks, assuring they won't be caught out in said country by the time the green list gets updated and the country potentially gets removed? Is that what the govt expects green list-conscious people to do?

Are they absolutely taking the piss?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,602 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Tenzor07 wrote: »
    I don't think Ireland would be on that "Green List" now after today's numbers... Wouldn't surprise me if other EU countries demanded clear tests before arrival or testing for all passengers from Ireland now at the airport of arrival....

Not going to happen. Even with Spain, other eu countries have the maturity to advise citizens not to travel to certain areas rather than the whole country. EU borders are open. Can’t help put feel the EU recognises that indefinite border closers/quarantine aren’t going to work

Also tbf, Ireland’s cases are still incredible low. Won’t even make international news

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭cyclops999

Due to travel to Lanzarote on the 21st for 2 weeks, missus now afraid to go in case our idiots decide to red list it before we return. Government has done nothing to help people that had accommodation and flights bought and paid for pre C- 19 and who would now like to do the right thing when it comes to non essential travel, already got stung in March with short break to Lisbon non essential travel notice on DFA website so didnt travel but Ryanair flying as scheduled so hard luck when looking for refund .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭acequion

cyclops999 wrote: »
    Due to travel to Lanzarote on the 21st for 2 weeks, missus now afraid to go in case our idiots decide to red list it before we return. Government has done nothing to help people that had accommodation and flights bought and paid for pre C- 19 and who would now like to do the right thing when it comes to non essential travel, already got stung in March with short break to Lisbon non essential travel notice on DFA website so didnt travel but Ryanair flying as scheduled so hard luck when looking for refund .

A lot of people go on about this "right thing" and that is because we've been patronised like small children for months now.

The "right thing" is to make your own decision as a responsible adult and if you do decide to travel, to be cautious and observe the regulations, which are the same safe sensible regulations everywhere,hand hygiene, distancing etc.

The Govt's idea of the "right thing" is about what suits them. People really need to get that. If Irish people weren't always so timid and compliant nanny might lay off a bit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

? Spain already is on the 'red' aka not on the green list.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,669 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Lanzarote is already on the red list isn't it?
    Either way I say take the holiday. I'm in Italy at the minute and things are far safer than at home. Its like night and day. Everyone and I mean everyone wears masks indoors. Hand sanitizer is everywhere. Social distancing is 100% complied with.
    And lanzarote is the same. I would travel again in a heartbeat.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

I see the UK is in danger of being added to our Green List the way numbers are going...

UK - 15.9
    Ireland - 15.8

Germany will be added to the list too if it stays as is, 12.8.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,950 ✭✭✭polesheep

acequion wrote: »
    A lot of people go on about this "right thing" and that is because we've been patronised like small children for months now.

The "right thing" is to make your own decision as a responsible adult and if you do decide to travel, to be cautious and observe the regulations, which are the same safe sensible regulations everywhere,hand hygiene, distancing etc.

The Govt's idea of the "right thing" is about what suits them. People really need to get that. If Irish people weren't always so timid and compliant nanny might lay off a bit.

It's scary just how easily some people are prepared to relinquish their right to self determination.

faceman wrote: »
    Not going to happen. Even with Spain, other eu countries have the maturity to advise citizens not to travel to certain areas rather than the whole country. EU borders are open. Can’t help put feel the EU recognises that indefinite border closers/quarantine aren’t going to work
    Also tbf, Ireland’s cases are still incredible low. Won’t even make international news

Are you so sure? Malta received a number of migrants on a boat who were all tested positive for Covid which was enough to pop the country off the Irish Green list.... Now Greece requires passengers from Malta to provide negative PCR tests no more than 72 hours before arrival.

How soon before Greece, Italy and others require that passengers from Ireland are required to provide tests or be tested upon arrival and quarantine for 2 weeks before being allowed to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

While our numbers have increased this week I don't think they are bad enough that our EU neighbours will be resorting to that. Were pretty middle of the road according to this:

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

I see the UK is in danger of being added to our Green List the way numbers are going...

UK - 15.9
    Ireland - 15.8

Germany will be added to the list too if it stays as is, 12.8.

Government will probably just move the goalposts if they have to add countries

DylanJM wrote: »
    While our numbers have increased this week I don't think they are bad enough that our EU neighbours will be resorting to that. Were pretty middle of the road according to this:
    https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Ireland is just about level with the UK, one of the worst performers in Europe... I believe the HSE committee have said there'll be even more cases today so could push Ireland's rate up way into the 20's along with places like Portugal...

I can't see them even bothering publishing an updated green list based off the new 14 day numbers. They're gonna look pretty thick publishing a larger list on the back of our worsening situation.

Ireland is just about level with the UK, one of the worst performers in Europe... I believe the HSE committee have said there'll be even more cases today so could push Ireland's rate up way into the 20's along with places like Portugal...

I'm just referring the the 14 day period that the list is based on. The UK are pretty middle ground on that metric. Of course, they are much worse off looking further back.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

DylanJM wrote: »
    I'm just referring the the 14 day period that the list is based on. The UK are pretty middle ground on that metric. Of course, they are much worse off looking further back.

If we have a series of high days as those community test results come in then we will shoot up over the coming days. But a sharp increase now and then back to normal low rates and in two weeks time we will be back below 10, and then back around 5.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

Are you so sure? Malta received a number of migrants on a boat who were all tested positive for Covid which was enough to pop the country off the Irish Green list....

No, those migrants are not included in the numbers for Malta.

From the ECDC: “*The COVID-19 cases reported for Malta do not include COVID-19 positive migrant cases who have disembarked in Malta and have been quarantined upon arrival.”

Advertisement