Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green List (Who will be on it?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Greg81

Syracuse is lovely if you make it that far.

On my list

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Greg81

Brilliant!

Naples is a wonderful city, often underestimated.
    As the Italians say- 'see Naples and then you can die'

Don't forget to go to Pompei and the Amalfi coast.
    Sicily is also full of wonderful places.

Enjoy.

I have been there before but +/- 25years ago. This time taking my wife and friends to show them those awesome places.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,987 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Greg81 wrote: »
    I have been there before but +/- 25years ago. This time taking my wife and friends to show them those awesome places.

Still a lot of Maradonna murals around the city which is great but a lot of the rest of it it has cleaned up and the views are still as good.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭Happydays2020

Greg81 wrote: »

The ferry to Capri is magical. Grab a bottle of wine, some antipasti, and tomatoes for a picnic on the beach. Paradise.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,513 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Ah balls. Was to go to Greece (Macedonia) on the 2nd of October. Thinking it's a no-no now?

• Advertisement

humberklog wrote: »
    Ah balls. Was to go to Greece (Macedonia) on the 2nd of October. Thinking it's a no-no now?

I have just cancelled leave for a trip to Greece. But that is because my employer is a bit windy on it with insurance and non green list, but in different circumstances I would be on the plane.

I have just cancelled leave for a trip to Greece. But that is because my employer is a bit windy on it with insurance and non green list, but in different circumstances I would be on the plane.

I'm self employed and deal with the public (art galleries) so wouldn't be able to isolate for 2 weeks on return and whilst I have my own opinions on how the virus should be handled now it's fairly contrary to government experts' advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

What’s amazed me over the last few weeks of reading posts from people is the amount of people that don’t seem a bit concerned about taking out travel insurance.
    Seriously...does this not bother you ? There’s absolutely no way I’d ever go on any trip without insurance.

johnire wrote: »
    What’s amazed me over the last few weeks of reading posts from people is the amount of people that don’t seem a bit concerned about taking out travel insurance.
    Seriously...does this not bother you ? There’s absolutely no way I’d ever go on any trip without insurance.

Have you tried claiming? Most important travel insurance is still available. The EHIC.

Isn't it amazing that we have to self isolate for 2 weeks when coming back from a country with half our levels of infection?

Makes perfect sense.

• Advertisement

Have you tried claiming? Most important travel insurance is still available. The EHIC.

I've always got insurance but thankfully have never needed to used it. But for the Greek trip I was advised to get the EHIC (or e1-11 in old money).

It was so handy to get. Dropped over to local HSE centre with ID etc. last Thursday and it arrived in the post yesterday. Surprisingly efficient service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭johnire

For sure the EHIC is absolutely invaluable but it only covers you for basic health care. I know that in itself is great but it’s still not enough. I’ve claimed only twice in over 20 years of travelling and what I’ve got back was well worth the few Euro a year I pay. Without it I would potentially have been at the loss of thousands of Euro. Surely travel insurance is no different to car or house insurance? It’s just not worth the risk.

For sure the EHIC is absolutely invaluable but it only covers you for basic health care. I know that in itself is great but it’s still not enough. I’ve claimed only twice in over 20 years of travelling and what I’ve got back was well worth the few Euro a year I pay. Without it I would potentially have been at the loss of thousands of Euro. Surely travel insurance is no different to car or house insurance? It’s just not worth the risk.

Basic health care in most EU countries is better than private health care in Ireland tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭1123heavy

The only country I regularly went to and would take out insurance for was the USA. Would not give a red cent to any company for EU trips, EHIC does the job. As mentioned the big player EU healthcare systems mop the floor with our sorry system, you do not need insurance companies. And if someone hasn't got it here in Ireland then you most certainly don't need it abroad because the systems only get better.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

car insurance is a legal requirement. 100% take up (obviously)

home insurance... you are protecting your most valuable asset (in most cases) i'd say over 90% take up

travel insurance while traveling to the EU... i'd venture to say no more than 20% of travelers take it (i'll look for some data)... i read what it insures against and honestly i cant understand why most people would take it

yoshimitsu wrote: »

home insurance... you are protecting your most valuable asset (in most cases) i'd say over 90% take up

travel insurance while traveling to the EU... i'd venture to say no more than 20% of travelers take it (i'll look for some data)... i read what it insures against and honestly i cant understand why most people would take it

I have it via my credit card and as I travel beyond the EU but agree broadly with your sentiments.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 padpad

Isn't it amazing that we have to self isolate for 2 weeks when coming back from a country with half our levels of infection?

Makes perfect sense.

Agreed. Also does anybody know if the islands are affected? I have a flight booked and our hotel has told us they have no cases over there..

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭deckie66

yoshimitsu wrote: »

agreed.

EHIC covers you for medical and airlines are liable for any issues with delayed flights, lost baggage etc

• Registered Users Posts: 5,059 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

up to now, Greece have been updating their green list every 2 weeks. Last update was on Wednesday, next one would normally be a few days before your trip - and chances are they will remove Ireland from the Green List. The way Greece has approached it lately is when they remove a country from a green list, the requirement changes to having a negative test in the last 3 days before your trip and if so you can enter the country adhering to the local restrictions.
    The one thing I would say to you is that certain parts of Macedonia have high number of cases and additional restrictions have been implemented.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Irish Aris wrote: »
    up to now, Greece have been updating their green list every 2 weeks. Last update was on Wednesday, next one would normally be a few days before your trip - and chances are they will remove Ireland from the Green List. The way Greece has approached it lately is when they remove a country from a green list, the requirement changes to having a negative test in the last 3 days before your trip and if so you can enter the country adhering to the local restrictions.
    The one thing I would say to you is that certain parts of Macedonia have high number of cases and additional restrictions have been implemented.

Beyond that, they're talking about a lockdown in ten days if infections don't decrease.

It's been widely reported in Greece today that Ireland booted Greece off the green list unfairly (they have nearly half our infection rate). I'd expect them to reciprocate in their next update.

• Advertisement

Tazz T wrote: »
    Beyond that, they're talking about a lockdown in ten days if infections don't decrease.

It's been widely reported in Greece today that Ireland booted Greece off the green list unfairly (they have nearly half our infection rate). I'd expect them to reciprocate in their next update.

Lockdown is still a speculation, probably primarily a "threat" to keep people adhering to restrictions. Greece's problem is very similar to Irelands, majority of cases in the wider Athens area with spikes popping up in other areas of the country.
    Talked to my sister yesterday, and she mentioned that the one thing that is definitely on the cards is mandatory use of masks in all instances - indoors and outdoors. As things stand now masks are already required outdoors where 2 meters social distancing can't be implemented.

But you might be right - if cases continue rising, lockdown will be back on the table, especially since heavy tourist period pretty much ends at the end of September. Next regular update of travel list is the week of 28th September and I expect many countries (including Ireland) to be added to the restrictions. I'm travelling to Greece next week and I keep on eye on the situation, so I can share information if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

Irish Aris wrote: »
    I'm travelling to Greece next week and I keep on eye on the situation, so I can share information if anyone is interested.

We are booked for 27th! Feckity feck.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Andywyer1983

Hi all, I’m travelling to Crete on the 29th of September. I have spoken to my employer and we’ve agreed if I have a negative result on a Covid test upon my return I can come back to work. Can anyone give me a good reason NOT to go ? Travelling with my partner and toddler and if self isolating upon return is the only downside then we will be going.

Hi all, I’m travelling to Crete on the 29th of September. I have spoken to my employer and we’ve agreed if I have a negative result on a Covid test upon my return I can come back to work. Can anyone give me a good reason NOT to go ? Travelling with my partner and toddler and if self isolating upon return is the only downside then we will be going.

My personal opinion is you can go.
    There is a chance that you might be tested on arrival in Greece. And I guess you can arrange for a test on arrival back to Ireland. And prepare for some restrictions there which are similar to Ireland's (extensive mask wearing and social distancing being key)

For anyone with upcoming trips to Greece, this is a good page to keep an eye on:
    https://travel.gov.gr/#/

This is the page that points to the Passenger locator form - if you scroll down they have the protocol for arrivals to Greece - it seems to be updated regularly as it now includes Hungary in the list of restricted countries (which was added only 2 days ago)

Yeah I’m leaning towards going now , will be staying in a private villa so social distancing going to be very easy, no problem with wearing a mask and hand washing , with Greece’s numbers compared to Ireland logic suggests I will be safer, and warmer 😎

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Fyi there's a specific thread in Travel about green list country travel logistics

• Registered Users Posts: 3,202 ✭✭✭Tazz T

Yeah I’m leaning towards going now , will be staying in a private villa so social distancing going to be very easy, no problem with wearing a mask and hand washing , with Greece’s numbers compared to Ireland logic suggests I will be safer, and warmer ��

I went in July and didn't regret it. In fact, I was kicking myself for worrying about going. I'm going back next week for a few days. It's surprising how much safer it feels as you're outside all the time. There just isn't the same feeling of panic.

Plus the rate in Crete is significantly lower than overall Greece rate.

Your only concern would be if there was a complete lockdown in October.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Kewreeuss

This is an honest question, I really am curious as I don't understand why Italy and Greece were taken off the list, despite having a lower rate of infection.
    Does anyone know or can give a good guess as to how the decision was reached?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,340 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Kewreeuss wrote: »
    This is an honest question, I really am curious as I don't understand why Italy and Greece were taken off the list, despite having a lower rate of infection.
    Does anyone know or can give a good guess as to how the decision was reached?

They used 25 cases per 100k in last two weeks as the cutoff point.

• Advertisement

Tazz T wrote: »
    I went in July and didn't regret it. In fact, I was kicking myself for worrying about going. I'm going back next week for a few days. It's surprising how much safer it feels as you're outside all the time. There just isn't the same feeling of panic.

Plus the rate in Crete is significantly lower than overall Greece rate.

Your only concern would be if there was a complete lockdown in October.

This is what I wanted to hear, good for you hope you enjoy your holiday ! Suppose I have another week left to make up my mind but as it stands I’m going. Was there any hassle at the airport in Crete when you arrived ?

Advertisement