Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green List (Who will be on it?)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,372 ✭✭✭Westernyelp

No green list tomorrow. due to EU summit over run

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

The_Brood wrote: »

On one hand that would be common sense, but on the other nothing can legally stop you from flying first to the canaries but then to mainland Spain, and then back to the canaries and back to Ireland....

Nothing stopping you flying from Belfast either - no 14 day quarantine if you arrive in the north from Spain and then travel to the republic.

There will be plenty of ways of getting around the red list.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭mikekerry

What's magically going to happen on Jan 1st next year to allow people travel? If no vaccine in place it'll be the same crack next year with travel restrictions.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

Honestly at this stage our government are out of their depth. MM has closed our economy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

mikekerry wrote: »
    What's magically going to happen on Jan 1st next year to allow people travel? If no vaccine in place it'll be the same crack next year with travel restrictions.

Also not exactly sure where you will get a summer holiday in January that will not be very expensive to travel to.

• Advertisement

It sounds like negotiations are not going well in EU.....

No green listtomorrow. due to EU summit over run

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭fm

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Nothing stopping you flying from Belfast either - no 14 day quarantine if you arrive in the north from Spain and then travel to the republic.

There will be plenty of ways of getting around the red list.

Really no need to go to Belfast as quarantine is not law anyway, your asked to do it or as the government say you "should" self isolate for 14 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

LilyShame wrote: »
    Honestly at this stage our government are out of their depth. MM has closed our economy!

I don’t see how, it was the coronavirus that closed the economy. Would you prefer a free for all like most of the US?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭H8GHOTI

...some journalist suggested canary Islands would be treated as its own entity...

If based purely on health, then they should 100% be on the list. However.....

I was in Tenerife last week. Airport quiet, plane half full. Everyone wearing masks. Also, over there felt very safe with mask wearing in supermarkets etc...

They will probably lump canaries in with Spain as they know plenty of Irish go to the canaries they won't want people going there. They want people to holiday here to help the economy. They don't give a hoot if the canaries is safe. I hope I'm wrong.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭combat14

would have to be more concerned that ones travel insurance is deemed invalid due to govts "avoid unnecessary travel" announcement regardless of any green list at this stage?

cant travel without travel insurance in these times?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

combat14 wrote: »
    would have to be more concerned that ones travel insurance is deemed invalid due to govts "avoid unnecessary travel" announcement regardless of any green list at this stage?

unfortunately people will still book travel without travel insurance, and then just blame ryanair when they change their mind and dont travel for their own reasons...

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 5,468 Mod ✭✭✭✭spockety

combat14 wrote: »

Depends on what you want to insure against, and how willing you are to absorb particular uninsurable risks yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

A cynic might think that the optics of Micheál Martin returning from a non green listed country might be part of the reason for the delay.

This government are a dithering shambles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,346 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

Michael Martin will take no risks this time as it's his first decision that could have an actual impact. In two weeks time he will add the UK to the list, once he's had a buffer to avoid bad choice blame. That is of course assuming nothing drastic happens in the meantime.

As of right now, besides the odd city ie Leicester, the UK has the same rates of infection as Ireland, and is better than most of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

Well Dara Calleary is pretty much saying a green list will exist but the advice remains against all non essential travel.
    That's holidays out the window. The Civil Service and Public sector will be required to limit movements at their own expense and so many company's in the private sector will follow suit.

For what is worth I think that is a total cop out by those in power. So I hope that isn't the actual outcome and that Dara is off on a tangent.

I'd love to see the legislation that requires me to tell my employer what I'm up to in my personal time. I wouldn't mind seeing the legal definition of 'essential' travel for that matter.

The obsession with the 'Green List is weird - the only difference between going to a country that is not on it is the requirement to fill in a form on your return - after that you don't have to do anything.

For example things like telling my employer where I've been, restricting my movements or answering my phone to some low-level bureaucrat wondering what I'm up to, are all examples of things I won't be doing on my return.

I find it really weird that people just blindly accept an erosion of their rights based on what some gombeen politician is mouthing off about. We don't like in North Korea - not yet anyway.

Go on holidays if you want, hide home in your bedroom if you want.

Either way, 'The green list' is a nonsense.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

https://www.ecdc.europa.eu/en/cases-2019-ncov-eueea

Today's figures. Ireland up to 4.9. Italy and Greece below Ireland. I still think they are better off putting a hard number (below 5 or better below 7.5) as a means to 'Green list' otherwise week on week there will need to be narrative gymnastics explains what is what.

I don’t see why ireland should be the benchmark or the minimum standard. Who’s to say a figure of 10 isn’t totally acceptable?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

It sounds like negotiations are not going well in EU.....

There’s more to it. The coalition are killing each other behind closed doors. Some don’t want a green list at all. It’s race to see who can be most conservative

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭BringBackMick

faceman wrote: »
    There’s more to it. The coalition are killing each other behind closed doors. Some don’t want a green list at all. It’s race to see who can be most conservative

Italy going below Ireland per 100k has spooked them.

At this stage I wouldn't be surprised if there was no green list, but I sense Varadkar is very much behind the idea of a green list type solution so i think something will have to be published so as to not totally lose public trust.

FF trying to row in behind social media frenzy to demonize any people travelling.

There is a sense, oh if we stop travel until September, everything will be all rosey?

They are so out of touch with the reality.

I just hope the people throwing stones will remember what they were like when the covid situation is pretty much the same next June and they are planning their getaways.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭theblackstuff

Just back from 9 days in IBIZA, 28 on plane out, 39 on plane back, Dublin, of which only 7 were Irish, rest Spanish and some English.

We were in north Ibiza, whole island is quiet, alot of big hotels not opening. Beaches quiet, mostly Spanish on them, asked apartment owner about this, he said they are mostly locals who are not working, from hotels and shops and just spending an hour or two on the beach with their family.

Mask wise, mandatory in shops, no mask no entry oh and you have to hand sanatise. Masks were mandatory on street since last Monday and from today cops can fine you 200 for not wearing one on street.

Alot not open, bars restaurants, small shops, but suited us. Still plenty of options avaiable. All outdoor aswell.

Back here went to Supervalu to restock, wore mask, was only about 4 other people there wearing them and no staff.

Im happy we went,

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

faceman wrote: »
    I don’t see why ireland should be the benchmark or the minimum standard. Who’s to say a figure of 10 isn’t totally acceptable?

I am ok with that. Safe behaviour wherever one goes is what should be communicated on not where one goes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Just back from 9 days in IBIZA, 28 on plane out, 39 on plane back, Dublin, of which only 7 were Irish, rest Spanish and some English.

We were in north Ibiza, whole island is quiet, alot of big hotels not opening. Beaches quiet, mostly Spanish on them, asked apartment owner about this, he said they are mostly locals who are not working, from hotels and shops and just spending an hour or two on the beach with their family.

Mask wise, mandatory in shops, no mask no entry oh and you have to hand sanatise. Masks were mandatory on street since last Monday and from today cops can fine you 200 for not wearing one on street.

Alot not open, bars restaurants, small shops, but suited us. Still plenty of options avaiable. All outdoor aswell.

Back here went to Supervalu to restock, wore mask, was only about 4 other people there wearing them and no staff.

Im happy we went,

Sounds lovely. Going myself to Spain in a week can't wait.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭ChelseaRentBoy

Italy going below Ireland per 100k has spooked them.

At this stage I wouldn't be surprised if there was no green list, but I sense Varadkar is very much behind the idea of a green list type solution so i think something will have to be published so as to not totally lose public trust.

FF trying to row in behind social media frenzy to demonize any people travelling.

There is a sense, oh if we stop travel until September, everything will be all rosey?

They are so out of touch with the reality.

I just hope the people throwing stones will remember what they were like when the covid situation is pretty much the same next June and they are planning their getaways.

This government is all over the place, a total shambles.

So when will green list be published.... Tomorrow?

Hard to know with this shower in charge, they probably have the list on a piece of paper, they just can't find it!
    This shower have a chance of being the worst yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭Hippo

I was reading the Journal from yesterday and some journalist suggested canary Islands would be treated as its own entity... As per ecdc reporting. When you look at the link... Islands are separated out from Spain on the colour coded map under the league table....

They're classified as a region though, not as a country. They don't appear on the map only because the map doesn't extend that far.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DarHan84

A cynic might think that the optics of Micheál Martin returning from a non green listed country might be part of the reason for the delay.

This government are a dithering shambles

A realist might that that a Taoiseach would count as a key worker, and so it would be irrelevant whether or not it was a green country.

Today's ecdc stats have been updated... Malta, Cyprus and Greece remain low for cases per 100k

• Registered Users Posts: 7,295 ✭✭✭facehugger99

DarHan84 wrote: »
    A realist might that that a Taoiseach would count as a key worker, and so it would be irrelevant whether or not it was a green country.

'key-worker'? - Is that one of those makey-up self-defined terms like 'essential travel'?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DarHan84

'key-worker'? - Is that one of those makey-up self-defined terms like 'essential travel'?

Probably. It's a list of people who don't need to isolate because their travel is deemed essential.
    Currently includes certain political roles, hauliers, pilots etc.

I think the advice is fairly clear, dispute the other general muppetry of this gov, in that if your travel isn't essential (i.e. not a trip to the Algarve to sip cocktails at a marina), then it's pretty much done at your own risk (No travel insurance etc), and you'll also have to quarantine if it's from a country with higher incidence of Covid than here.

If you have to travel (i.e. for work), and it's to a "green country", then no quarantine.

People can't still travel if they want to, they just do so at their own risk. So no freedoms are being taken away really .

Advertisement