Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Green List (Who will be on it?)

Options

Comments

faceman wrote: »
    The travel insurance argument is somewhat of a red herring for EU travel. Tbf most EU countries, bar Ireland, have great public health systems covered by EHIC so private cover isn’t a big deal. However I always tell non Irish friends visiting Ireland to make sure they have travel insurance because our health system is atrocious.

Given how often people claim off travel insurance too, it’s very much a low risk thing however.

The EU passenger rights for flights covers the mishaps relating to flights. Not as swift and juicy as travel insurance but it’s there none the less.

As for theft etc, it’s the no bigger a risk than being at home. People don’t have travel insurance for staycations

Travel insurance claims are low risk. Straw poll among friends would suggest very few have claimed off it. That being said it’s cheap enough in normal times

Thats unfair. The system in Ireland is not attrocious, its far from it. You get brought in, you get seen, you get treated. Whats attrocious about it? Do they leave you to die on the side of the road? Very unfair comment. Especially as I douobt you have experienced every single EU system personally. Ireland actually scores only slightly lower than Spain in the EU index (20th V 22nd) and its waiting times that hurts the irish system so badly with Pharmaceutical care, information and after treatment / outcome rating in the top half.

I love the Spanish system in my area, dont get me wrong. It is superior to the Irish but its not perfect and its certainly not that far ahead to make such a claim. theres issues and in some areas tourists are not cared for to the same standard as locals / residents. Again I have seen that first hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

I rang my travel insurance company, Chill, to enquire what was the situation of travelling abroad regardless of the Green list.
    They said we were covered as normal except for contracting Covid19.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

It would be funny if it wasn't so serious the way they are acting here, keep delaying publishing a green list, they'll eventually have to publish it but then turn around and advise against travel, id actually feel safer in a country with low covid rates than in a busy Irish resort

• Registered Users Posts: 5,255 ✭✭✭RoryMac

jonnny68 wrote: »
    It would be funny if it wasn't so serious the way they are acting here, keep delaying publishing a green list, they'll eventually have to publish it but then turn around and advise against travel, id actually feel safer in a country with low covid rates than in a busy Irish resort

They're relying on peer pressure and scaremongering to stop people from travelling but to give them credit it is working exactly as they hoped.

The idea of publishing a 'green list' with advice that only essential travel should be taken is crazy when pretty much the rest of Europe is allowing travel with proper checks at airports.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,105 ✭✭✭stargazer 68

jonnny68 wrote: »

And that's what they are going to do IMO. It will still be no non-essential travel. Well sod that!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭JuanJose

RoryMac wrote: »
    The idea of publishing a 'green list' with advice that only essential travel should be taken is crazy when pretty much the rest of Europe is allowing travel with proper checks at airports.

The airport checks appear so hit & miss, depending on the country, it's not funny. Airports in the Canaries seem to have dropped the temperature checks on arrivals completely while the regional government is still awaiting the green light from central government in Madrid to carry out random tests on tourists arriving.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

Batesout wrote: »
    I rang my travel insurance company, Chill, to enquire what was the situation of travelling abroad regardless of the Green list.
    They said we were covered as normal except for contracting Covid19.

I contacted Laya, there is no coverage even if a country was on a green list as long as its non-essential per DFA
    So they will pay up on lost flights/hotel fees

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DarHan84

Irish Kev wrote: »
    I contacted Laya, there is no coverage even if a country was on a green list as long as its non-essential per DFA
    So they will pay up on lost flights/hotel fees

So essentially they won't cover you if you're abroad, but they will cover the cost of your flights?

If so, that's better than I certainly would have expected.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Irish Kev

DarHan84 wrote: »
    So essentially they won't cover you if you're abroad, but they will cover the cost of your flights?

If so, that's better than I certainly would have expected.

Well they cant say you are not covered and we are not covering expenses of lost flights/hotels. That would be playing both sides. If they had tried that my next option was for a refund as I no longer need travel insurance.

Wish now I had Chill

According to the RTE news app less than 12 countries to make it onto the green list!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Fewer than 12 countries on it apparently.

Numbers will be fudged to ensure any desirable countries are off the list probably

I think FF pushing deeply conservative strategy versus slightly less conservative FG views

A battle to out do themselves

Of course will be pitted against backdrop of 'big' case numbers this evening which will include that cluster in the building site.

I can already feel the negativity from this evenings press briefing !!

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

I think the building site numbers were in weekend stats, it just became news story yesterday...

So guessed on the 12?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,875 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

According to the RTE news app less than 12 countries to make it onto the green list!
    I counted 10 on the EU list incl Norway which have less than ireland, plus Switzerland to make it 11, which is less than 12

Germany, Netherlands have marginally higher cases and arent in that 10

In fairness, when the "experts" are still crying to ban everything, forever, and get Arlene on board for an all ireland solution before allowing anything, then getting a list at all is progess

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭Batesout

Irish Kev wrote: »
    Well they cant say you are not covered and we are not covering expenses of lost flights/hotels. That would be playing both sides. If they had tried that my next option was for a refund as I no longer need travel insurance.

Wish now I had Chill

Tenerife here i come

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭DarHan84

Fewer than 12 countries on it apparently.

Numbers will be fudged to ensure any desirable countries are off the list probably

I think FF pushing deeply conservative strategy versus slightly less conservative FG views

A battle to out do themselves

Of course will be pitted against backdrop of 'big' case numbers this evening which will include that cluster in the building site.

I can already feel the negativity from this evenings press briefing !!

Current list below of where countries are at:

If it's <12, then either it excludes any countries with over 4 cases per 100k people over past 14 days.

Also there's the potential that Monaco/San Marino don't get included (understandable in case of Monaco as a principality, less so for San Marino) which would have Italy/Greece as the final countries.

Either way - blocking out some time, getting some popcorn in and waiting for what will undoubtedly be a rational reaction on here tonight!

Countries And Territories
    <1 cases per 100k people over past 14 days.
    (1st) Malta
    1+
    Finland
    Hungary
    Georgia
    2+
    Estonia
    Norway
    San Marino
    3+
    Monaco
    Lithuania
    Latvia
    Slovakia
    (12th) Cyprus
    4+
    Greece
    Italy
    Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭LilyShame

Any recommendations on a good agent who can sell me a holiday to malta!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

Fewer than 12, so 11?

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭Dave 101

LilyShame wrote: »
    Any recommendations on a good agent who can sell me a holiday to malta!!

I had flights booked to france with ryanair that I've just changed them to malta, plenty of reasonable accommodation available in Malta also

At least Varadkar calling out the nonsense of a green list with no change in travel advice!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,601 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Thats unfair. The system in Ireland is not attrocious, its far from it. You get brought in, you get seen, you get treated. Whats attrocious about it? Do they leave you to die on the side of the road? Very unfair comment. Especially as I douobt you have experienced every single EU system personally. Ireland actually scores only slightly lower than Spain in the EU index (20th V 22nd) and its waiting times that hurts the irish system so badly with Pharmaceutical care, information and after treatment / outcome rating in the top half.

I love the Spanish system in my area, dont get me wrong. It is superior to the Irish but its not perfect and its certainly not that far ahead to make such a claim. theres issues and in some areas tourists are not cared for to the same standard as locals / residents. Again I have seen that first hand.

I’ve written for the media about the Irish health system. I tracked a patient as they went through 3 hospitals. To say the experience was less than satisfactory is an understatement.

My own mother nearly died at the hands of the health system

I’ve been in A&E in Spain and Ireland on a Saturday night. World of difference. 30 minute wait time in Spain a number ireland could never hit.

Ireland is nowhere near the standard it should be. There is bureaucracy, incompetence and outdated systems and processes.

But anyway back on topic.

• Advertisement

At least Varadkar calling out the nonsense of a green list with no change in travel advice!!

And RTE have it under the headline "Varadkar questions if green list should be published" which suggests hes against the idea of a list when the opposite is true

And RTE have it under the headline "Varadkar questions if green list should be published" which suggests hes against the idea of a list when the opposite is true

Yes, i noticed the same, amazing lack of awareness really from them.

At this stage, we will take anything to start the ball rolling.

The people in the cabinet must be the most conservative and isolationist than many conceivable.

So I hope they at least issue a list of countries where there is no requirement for 14 day restrictive movements.

It will at least star the process of opening travel again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

Dave 101 wrote: »
    I had flights booked to france with ryanair that I've just changed them to malta, plenty of reasonable accommodation available in Malta also

Can you change the destination with Ryanair?

Can you change the destination with Ryanair?

For a fee of course but if you go into Manage my Bookings you can change the flights to a different destination

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭EB_2013

If I visit somewhere not on the list realistically can they stop me at airport from travelling or is it just advice not to travel to those certain countries.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 917 ✭✭✭MickeyLeari

For a fee of course but if you go into Manage my Bookings you can change the flights to a different destination

Thanks. Aer Lingus are allowing free destination changes at the moment but accept that was not been offered by Ryanair and a fee is reasonable.

faceman wrote: »
    I’ve written for the media about the Irish health system. I tracked a patient as they went through 3 hospitals. To say the experience was less than satisfactory is an understatement.

My own mother nearly died at the hands of the health system

I’ve been in A&E in Spain and Ireland on a Saturday night. World of difference. 30 minute wait time in Spain a number ireland could never hit.

Ireland is nowhere near the standard it should be. There is bureaucracy, incompetence and outdated systems and processes.

But anyway back on topic.

The official stats back the argument, 22nd out of 35 and only 2 places below Spain. Your comment was harsh and unfair to the health professionals working in the system.

Your limited personal info which seems to be based on waiting time which is where Ireland does fall down, doesnt change that it is not "attrocious" nor does one case study. I can google stories about the Spanish system and indeed all the EU systems and find issues with incompetance. I can recount personal stories too but none of that changes the stats based on thousands of case studies by professionals across the board.

Thanks. Aer Lingus are allowing free destination changes at the moment but accept that was not been offered by Ryanair and a few is reasonable.

Fee is something like €35 per person, per flight so can add up if there's a few people flying

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭T.V Eye

EB_2013 wrote: »
    If I visit somewhere not on the list realistically can they stop me at airport from travelling or is it just advice not to travel to those certain countries.

They can’t stop you travelling within the EU.
    It’s only advice.

Advertisement