Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gardai find naked man whipped on crucifix in Dublin club, naked audience watch

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

KiKi III wrote: »
    Being trafficked into Ireland and forced into prostitution is not a choice.

Nor is being trafficked into Ireland and "employed" to clean hotels
    or clean offices by dead of night
    or manicure nails
    or pick mushrooms

These jobs are full of foreign "workers" who can't produce a passport or any documents - or a payslip -

Yet I don't see the self-righteous demanding that these jobs be made illegal.
    Even though some of them are far more like "slave labour" than a self-employed sex worker running her own (risky) business.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I'm open to correction here but I think consent is a defence to assault, but there is a legal case which says it is not a defence to assault causing harm.

I think you'd enjoy R v Brown.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

Prostitution in general. It is almost impossible to disentangle it from sex trafficking.

Prostitution was legal in Ireland until a few years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,126 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

Prostitution will always exist, and yes, a lot of women who chose it are vulnerable. At least if it was legal it could be subject to inspection and the women involved offered help to leave, or more likely to seek help independently. Prosecuting people for the sale and/or procurement of sex is as effective as prohibition was.

Trafficking is a separate issue, it happens whether prostitution is legal or not and requires greater international cooperation. It's abhorrent that children and adults are traded like commodities into a life of misery and entrapment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Man with broke phone

I think it should be legalized and ran by a government department. The CEOs 27 of them will be paid the market rate of 3500000 a year to ensure we have the best men and (chortle) women overseeing it and making sure theres no trafficking involved.
    All punters must be Hilary supporters though to appease the feminists. Sure the prostitutes will get a pension able job for life and it would nearly have the ability to pay for itself but would run at a catastrophic cost to the state.
    The prostitutes can threaten strike each year on the weekend between the schoolteacher and bus driver strike.
    Everyone's a winner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

I think it should be legalized and ran by a government department. The CEOs 27 of them will be paid the market rate of 3500000 a year to ensure we have the best men and (chortle) women overseeing it and making sure theres no trafficking involved.
    All punters must be Hilary supporters though to appease the feminists. Sure the prostitutes will get a pension able job for life and it would nearly have the ability to pay for itself but would run at a catastrophic cost to the state.
    The prostitutes can threaten strike each year on the weekend between the schoolteacher and bus driver strike.
    Everyone's a winner.

Can we call the Union Whorsa?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭trashcan

It's got to a stage in this country where a man can't even mount a crucifix to have his arse leathered in front of a roomful of his closest friends

Those Christians, eh. What are they like ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,438 ✭✭✭NSAman

when Garda Inspector Martin Mooney had led a raid on the club he had noticed a man, tied to a large crucifix, who was having his naked bum whipped in front of customers oddly dressed with few or no clothes on and wearing masks and carrying whips.

Well fair play to them.

Obviously they were playing safe and were not American tourists..;)

I went to a "posh" private school, and one of my classmates ended up being a prostitute, a madame, and got herself a damned lot of publicity over the years. Had been adopted by a middle class couple. She went into sex work as a result of having been sexually abused by her father since she was very young. Though innately intelligent, she couldn't focus on school studies, and I was put sitting next to her to be "a good influence". They didn't know why she was disruptive, what was happening. I told my mother about her almost daily, that she was showing me dreadful physical damage. Mum was in later years very upset that she didn't act upon what I had been telling her, thought she just had a personality problem as was making all of it up. Indeed she did have a serious personality disorder, which resulted from the abuse since a very young age. It made her very "at home" to have sex with anyone, and soon realised it could be a form of living. It was what she knew, what she had become good at. I am highly uncomfortable with people, especially men, saying people choose freely to become sex workers. There is often a horrific background to their personality formation.

I sadly knew of another person who was raped by her father, but she dealt with it differently. When she found her marriage breaking down (her husband had separate issues himself), she took her own life. Her father had been honoured by Pope JPII, Pope Francis removed it the minute the man appeared in court and admitted abusing boys he taught when he was a young man.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

An awful lot of the people doing it are seriously vulnerable. Of course certain types of people enjoy their pleasures even more if is subjects others to humiliation. That's the basis of a lot, but most certainly not all, of it.

I agree with you, but, surely the way to deal with the issues is to legalise and regulate the business, ie, take control away from the criminal pimps and do whatever is possible to give protection and rights to the sex workers.

Prohibition just puts the power into the hands of the criminals and I don't think that workers welfare is too high on their priority list.

• Advertisement

There was a time I went into peoples houses and businesses and unblocked their toilets for a living. I wasn't trafficked or abused I just did it for the cash. I dont feel guilty. Most of them were nice and didnt make me feel threatened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

I agree with you, but, surely the way to deal with the issues is to legalise and regulate the business, ie, take control away from the criminal pimps and do whatever is possible to give protection and rights to the sex workers.

Prohibition just puts the power into the hands of the criminals and I don't think that workers welfare is too high on their priority list.

There’s no evidence from countries where prostitution is legal that this works, or results in less exploitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,971 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

This kind of underbelly of society whilst legal (AFAIK) could be titillation for many who have never even heard of it.

My view is that as long as the participants are willing and not trafficked all good. Each to their own. A bit like the orgies that are now called Swingers.

LOL. Gwan now.

There’s no evidence from countries where prostitution is legal that this works, or results in less exploitation.

You skipped my last question???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭KiKi III

You didn’t ask a question.

I went to a "posh" private school, and one of my classmates ended up being a prostitute, a madame, and got herself a damned lot of publicity over the years. Had been adopted by a middle class couple. She went into sex work as a result of having been sexually abused by her father since she was very young. Though innately intelligent, she couldn't focus on school studies, and I was put sitting next to her to be "a good influence". They didn't know why she was disruptive, what was happening. I told my mother about her almost daily, that she was showing me dreadful physical damage. Mum was in later years very upset that she didn't act upon what I had been telling her, thought she just had a personality problem as was making all of it up. Indeed she did have a serious personality disorder, which resulted from the abuse since a very young age. It made her very "at home" to have sex with anyone, and soon realised it could be a form of living. It was what she knew, what she had become good at. I am highly uncomfortable with people, especially men, saying people choose freely to become sex workers. There is often a horrific background to their personality formation.

I sadly knew of another person who was raped by her father, but she dealt with it differently. When she found her marriage breaking down (her husband had separate issues himself), she took her own life. Her father had been honoured by Pope JPII, Pope Francis removed it the minute the man appeared in court and admitted abusing boys he taught when he was a young man.

Jayzus is there any part of life you don't know about!

Medical, social, etc. Good on you.

Retired Librarians know every facet of life. :P

Retired librarians read alot. Some even try write their own fiction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/woman-who-denies-running-club-where-naked-man-on-crucifix-was-whipped-to-appeal-decision-striking-out-bid-to-join-legal-proceedings-39366679.html

The Circuit Court has been asked "to direct that Hilda Conway forfeit her tenancy of a basement night club at 127 Lower Baggot Street, Dublin, which [it is] alleged had been used as a brothel and for staging Sadomasochistic practices.

Conway, of Claremont Road, Sandymount, Dublin, denies having been associated with the running of such activities in the club"

Is it not time that we just allow these kinds of facilities to carry-on in trade, all above board, paying their taxes and giving enjoyment to the people? Honestly, what harm are they doing?

Garda find naked man whipped on crucifix in Dublin club, naked audience watch
    But there was uproar in the thread where women in Ukraine were getting paid to have babies / suurrogacy. But sure whip them in clubs tis grand!

Sex trafficking is already illegal, why do you object two people concenting to do a sex for money agreement?

What is the difference between me paying someone to give me a massage, or a hand job?
    If you don’t know the difference between a massage and a hand job, I’m not sure I can help you with that.
    That's a very disingenuous answer. I know the difference the question was what's the difference in paying for either of them.
    You didn’t ask a question.

I did.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,657 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Garda find naked man whipped on crucifix in Dublin club, naked audience watch
    But there was uproar in the thread where women in Ukraine were getting paid to have babies / suurrogacy. But sure whip them in clubs tis grand!

Some women like it - but I can assure you, a very large percentage of those who like having their bums whipped are male.

The person on the Andrew's Cross at the time (it wasn't a crucifix, for point of accuracy) - was a bloke.

• Advertisement

I just think a lot of stuff, good and bad, comes to mind in any given situation. Library people end up having an enormous humanoid database. There's nothing a librarian has not been asked about over a lifetime. One customer came in with two different brands of paracetamol and was about to destroy her liver by taking them both simultaneously. Fortunately she showed them to me and I put her right. Then she and her friends returned for further pharmaceutical advice, so I ended up referring her to her GP, whereupon I was asked to write out a reference letter to hand to a consultant I was to pull out of a directory! For some reason a lot of people are extremely reluctant to go to their GP and there had once been a dodgy local chemist who sold as much medicines as they could get money for, and without prescription.

Was asked about planning permission frequently, and got a ton of abuse from one aul geezer when I wouldn't tell him the legalities about erecting a wooden shack in the sand dunes in Wexford. Another fella tried to get us to forge a letter from his employer as a reference to get him a new job. Unbelievable the stuff we were asked. There was at least one very odd request every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/woman-who-denies-running-club-where-naked-man-on-crucifix-was-whipped-to-appeal-decision-striking-out-bid-to-join-legal-proceedings-39366679.html

The Circuit Court has been asked "to direct that Hilda Conway forfeit her tenancy of a basement night club at 127 Lower Baggot Street, Dublin, which [it is] alleged had been used as a brothel and for staging Sadomasochistic practices.

Conway, of Claremont Road, Sandymount, Dublin, denies having been associated with the running of such activities in the club"

Is it not time that we just allow these kinds of facilities to carry-on in trade, all above board, paying their taxes and giving enjoyment to the people? Honestly, what harm are they doing?

Atleast they remembered to wear masks during these times. So don't be kink shaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,938 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Atleast they remembered to wear masks during these times. So don't be kink shaming.

For those people who are into BDSM, shaming and humiliation often only turns the on even more :pac:

I just think a lot of stuff, good and bad, comes to mind in any given situation. Library people end up having an enormous humanoid database. There's nothing a librarian has not been asked about over a lifetime. One customer game in with two different brands of paracetamol and was about to destroy her liver by taking them both simultaneously. Fortunately she showed them to me and I put her right. Then she and her friends returned for further pharmaceutical advice, so I ended up referring her to her GP, whereupon I was asked to write out a reference letter to hand to a consultant I was to pull out of a directory! For some reason a lot of people are extremely reluctant to go to their GP and there had Once been a dodgy local chemist who sold as much medicines as they could get money for, and without prescription.

Was asked about planning permission frequently, and got a ton of abuse from one aul geezer when I wouldn't tell him the legalities about erecting a wooden shack in the sand dunes in Wexford. Another fella tried to get us to forge a letter from his employer as a reference to get him a new job. Unbelievable the stuff we were asked. There was at least one very odd request every day.

Was it entertaining? Well to be fair you never had to be a doctor or a paracetemol protector. But who knew that libraries saved so many people.

Well done you. The hidden Social Supports.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,487 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

That's a very disingenuous answer. I know the difference the question was what's the difference in paying for either of them.

Cash gets handed over.

The difference between what you're getting should be pretty obvious, but in case not, ask a physiotherapist and hand job and see what happens.

Or ask a prostitute for some help when you put your shoulder out.

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

For those people who are into BDSM, shaming and humiliation often only turns the on even more :pac:

I admit it. You win.

In answer to your question, no, I don’t think brothels should be made legal. I used to think as you did; regulate it and tax it.

I thought it would be safer for women and lead to less sex trafficking. But looking at other countries where this has happened, there has been no corresponding reduction in sex trafficking to them.

All the more reason for regulation.

Cash gets handed over.

The difference between what you're getting should be pretty obvious, but in case not, ask a physiotherapist and hand job and see what happens.

Or ask a prostitute for some help when you put your shoulder out.

The question wasn't what's the difference in what you're getting, the question was what's the difference in paying for what you're getting?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

At least those in attendance were wearing masks.

• Advertisement

The question wasn't what's the difference in what you're getting, the question was what's the difference in paying for what you're getting?

You mean, as oppose to getting it for free...? Don't really understand what you're asking here.

Advertisement