Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kids sports clashing

Options
  • 14-07-2020 8:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Now that sports are kicking off again, I learned that the kids soccer training clashes with gaelic training.

Maybe something has to give. Is it too young to decide, or should I let them dabble in both?

They are no better at either one and enjoy both equally.

Maybe focusing on one is more beneficial?

I'd like to hear from anyone who has had to make a similar decision. Or chose not to.

I like that they have the social interaction at both and the community involvement.

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,479 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Mod:

Moving thread to the Parenting Forum where you may get better advice OP. Reminder to read the charter before posting when a local mod reopens it

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Opened

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Let them dabble in both. I assume the child is fairly young so I wouldn't be pushing them hard in any direction too early. The important thing is that they are enjoying it and doing their best when they are there

• Registered Users Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Let them dabble in both. I assume the child is fairly young so I wouldn't be pushing them hard in any direction too early. The important thing is that they are enjoying it and doing their best when they are there

I know you’re a mod but Christ that couldn’t have been a more pc answer if you tried. Doesn’t answer the question at all.

The op has said they can’t do both.

Op, if they’re no better at either I’d go with the one that you feel you’d be happiest getting behind. It’s not 100% about the child. You’ll have to be involved to a certain degree in the sport chosen so one that you have an interest could prove important in your interest in what the child is doing.

Failing that I’d choose the one that the child has more of their friends playing. Ask them which one they know more people at etc..

I only ever got to play one sport due to my folks being heavily involved in it themselves. Did me no harm and I’m actually damn handy at the sport now so can teach my own kids without the need for other coaches etc..

• Registered Users Posts: 29,530 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Are there other kids in the same boat? Maybe one of the trainings can be moved in its affecting a few kids .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

We are in the same boat. We went with gaa because it’s played at school. The coach comes into school every week too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

Cant be in 2 places at once, give them the choice which they want to stick with.

But before you make a final decision is it a total clash or do they overlap for a period of time. My sons sports overlap one evening a week and he manages to make the second one for about half the session and the coaches are ok with it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,648 ✭✭✭✭beauf

No one can answer that.

In our area the local GAA is the more inclusive and more integrated into the community. So we went with that. But the if a child wants to play soccer more than GAA then they should do that.

We overlapped things for a while but it became unsustainable.

You'll always have these conflicts. Might be with swimming and other sports or simply of there's more than one kid their timetables clash.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭Dean3y

whelan2 wrote: »
    Are there other kids in the same boat? Maybe one of the trainings can be moved in its affecting a few kids .

No, barely any gaelic kids playing on the same soccer team.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I know you’re a mod but Christ that couldn’t have been a more pc answer if you tried.

MOD

He's not a mod here. The general consensus on boards is play the ball, not the man.

• Advertisement

jrosen wrote: »
    Cant be in 2 places at once, give them the choice which they want to stick with.

But before you make a final decision is it a total clash or do they overlap for a period of time. My sons sports overlap one evening a week and he manages to make the second one for about half the session and the coaches are ok with it.

Training clashed last year also, but we alternated fortnightly. This year it's U10 and soccer has been split into local and Dublin league..I don't think alternating will be accepted.

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Communication between the two codes at local level is important . Don’t have timing clashes .
    Inevitably at rural level the gaa wins every time . Well in our area at least . So usually soccer has to change their training, matches . Soccer is seen as a release where Gaelic is too focussed .
    I coach at youth level and I know in the next year or so players them selves will be either forced or make their own decision to concentrate on Gaa. A shame as you develop better as a player playing multiple but similar codes .
    I played both when I was a kid and left gaelic at minor level due to verbals from sideline Gaa people . Never had it in soccer.

I know you’re a mod but Christ that couldn’t have been a more pc answer if you tried. Doesn’t answer the question at all.

Op, if they’re no better at either I’d go with the one that you feel you’d be happiest getting behind. It’s not 100% about the child. You’ll have to be involved to a certain degree in the sport chosen so one that you have an interest could prove important in your interest in what the child is doing.

Failing that I’d choose the one that the child has more of their friends playing. Ask them which one they know more people at etc..

I only ever got to play one sport due to my folks being heavily involved in it themselves. Did me no harm and I’m actually damn handy at the sport now so can teach my own kids without the need for other coaches etc..

Good advise!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Per the OP
    Dean3y wrote: »
    Maybe something has to give. Is it too young to decide, or should I let them dabble in both? .

My advice is to let them dabble in both. I have a 6 year old for example and want him to try out as many sports as possible to find one he enjoys as hopefully he will then be less inclined to drop it once he turns 15 or 16. Getting too serious at too young an age can be a turn off but similarly I don't believe that taking part is all that counts. Ideally my lad will get something he is good at and stick at it.
    I find the GAA to be much better organised for this age group than the FAI with much better facilities and trainers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,061 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hannibal_Smith

OP are you sure they're not just clashing at the moment, but it's subject to change? I know with our soccer and gaelic clubs, they have to book the pitches at a certain time to avoid too many training at the same time and to avoid traffic issues. We don't normally train in either during the summer months, but given all that was missed out on we are now.

So I wouldn't decide on one or the other yet, wait and see what happens after the summer if and when some sort of regular normality comes back. I wouldn't say the training times are set in stone, just all that is available whilst we come out of lockdown.

In the meantime, you could send him to soccer one week and gaelic the other week?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

Dean3y wrote: »
    Training clashed last year also, but we alternated fortnightly. This year it's U10 and soccer has been split into local and Dublin league..I don't think alternating will be accepted.

If it’s U10, he/she is old enough to understand that they can’t do both, and to pick which one they’d prefer to continue with

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Communication between the two codes at local level is important . Don’t have timing clashes .
    Inevitably at rural level the gaa wins every time . Well in our area at least . So usually soccer has to change their training, matches . Soccer is seen as a release where Gaelic is too focussed .
    I coach at youth level and I know in the next year or so players them selves will be either forced or make their own decision to concentrate on Gaa. A shame as you develop better as a player playing multiple but similar codes .
    I played both when I was a kid and left gaelic at minor level due to verbals from sideline Gaa people . Never had it in soccer.

It’s a different issue in Dublin where kids have more than one GAA club and soccer club to pick from, I have 3 GAA clubs and 4/5 soccer clubs within a couple of miles of the house, it means instead of two clubs communicating there would be need for multiples which isn’t realistic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,780 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Per the OP

My advice is to let them dabble in both. I have a 6 year old for example and want him to try out as many sports as possible to find one he enjoys as hopefully he will then be less inclined to drop it once he turns 15 or 16. Getting too serious at too young an age can be a turn off but similarly I don't believe that taking part is all that counts. Ideally my lad will get something he is good at and stick at it.
    I find the GAA to be much better organised for this age group than the FAI with much better facilities and trainers.

My son was in GAA for a while but when they started going from Saturday morning for an hour to 3 sessions a week for 6 year olds we just said no and he was happy to comply. Absolute craziness.

But I agree if it's a choice, let them dabble in both. My son tried a few things and settled on cubs and Sean nos dancing at which he's surprisingly good.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,324 ✭✭✭JustAThought

Soccer they can kickabout anywhere. Let them train for a real sport that has specific skills and techniques they need to practice to progress with:GAA. Fitness levels better with GAA too.

• Registered Users Posts: 208 ✭✭Dublin Mum

My son was in GAA for a while but when they started going from Saturday morning for an hour to 3 sessions a week for 6 year olds we just said no and he was happy to comply. Absolute craziness.

But I agree if it's a choice, let them dabble in both. My son tried a few things and settled on cubs and Sean nos dancing at which he's surprisingly good.

Presumably “3 sessions” is training twice a week and a match? Training twice a week is great for children who may not be able to attend one training session due to other extra curricular commitments. That’s always been the norm in our club. Doubtful a 6 year old would be expected to train 3 times a week...

• Advertisement

That is crazy for a 6 year old. Our little lad does (or did pre March) the hour on a Saturday. TBH if his friends weren't there he would have no interest in it however as he is in a boys school I want him to at least have basic skills. I can see us dropping it if something else came up to try out.
    Would rather the proper football myself but they do not seem to be as all inclusive as the GAA is

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭Iscreamkone

Soccer they can kickabout anywhere. Let them train for a real sport that has specific skills and techniques they need to practice to progress with:GAA. Fitness levels better with GAA too.

Absolute horsesh1t

OP are you sure they're not just clashing at the moment, but it's subject to change? I know with our soccer and gaelic clubs, they have to book the pitches at a certain time to avoid too many training at the same time and to avoid traffic issues. We don't normally train in either during the summer months, but given all that was missed out on we are now.

So I wouldn't decide on one or the other yet, wait and see what happens after the summer if and when some sort of regular normality comes back. I wouldn't say the training times are set in stone, just all that is available whilst we come out of lockdown.

In the meantime, you could send him to soccer one week and gaelic the other week?

They both train on the same evenings as last year, no change unfortunately.

Advertisement